“Mexican gem!”

Cross street: Kirk Rd
Schagen
“Mexican gem!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Poblano pepper grill. We didn't know what to expect, driving up.

But once seated and welcomed by one of the waitresses we rapidly knew we were on to something. What a very warm and hospitable welcome! Our waitress was so nice. If Poblano is a taste of what Mexico is like, I need to go there sometime. Fast!

I don't eat meat and knew mexican food has nothing with meatless anything, so I decided to ask if they could whip up anything veggie. The answer was: "Sure, we don't have anything particularly vegetarian, but everything is fresh and made to order, so just ask for anything". Great! I think the owner dropped by our table and assured us everything was home-made and wished us a great diner. Again, very nice!

But the food. That is what is most important when you go out to eat, right? I ordered the corn tortillas stuffed with potatoes sautéed with cheese & onions, covered with house guajillo chili sauce; served with lettuce, onions, sour cream. I ordered some guacemole on the side and had to wait for that a bit because it was being made on the spot! Worth the wait too, yum!

Had a classic Marguerita to go with it and that was really one of the nicest ones I have had, ever. Also made fresh (I saw the lady mixing it) and it had just the right amount of sweet and sour and of course, tequilla ;-)

I was quite full after the meal, but decided to share a traditional " three milk cake" with my boyfriend, just because we had never had it... and I will now forever crave that cake! I do not know if that's any good for me, but it is certainly a compliment to the restaurant.

From service and welcome to food to drinks to dessert, everything was just great! I feel sad I probably can not go back anytime soon but the least I can do is write and make sure people will go there to have a great meal!
Enjoy :-)

Visited June 2013

Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
“Best food and margaritas.”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I do not live near here but if I am in the area I will make the effort because this food and drinks...the best! Very disappointing not to see a line out the door. If I lived in St. Charles I would live in this restaurant!

• Visited February 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food is to greasy! Orchata water, I can make better!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Tacos are ok. Nothing better than any other Mexican places I had try around town, the owner goes around and ask just to the white folks if the food was good, what about me just because I'm Mexican he didn't asked. You just lost a good client cause I will never come back here, maybe if I bring my Caucasian husband he will then ask;) listen you need to treat everybody equal!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Geneva202
Saint Charles, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“For lunch, dinner or to cater your party”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is our regular Saturday lunch place. Small menu but OUTSTANDING flavor and value. They have evan catered two of our house parties.

• Visited May 2013
“What a gem!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Mexican food is my favorite food to eat and this place delivered well above my expectations! The food (tacos dorados and soup) tasted as if I was served a home cooked meal that was cooked with love. The hot sauce us to die for too. What sealed the deal was the AMAZING service. I've never experienced such a warm, inviting, and genuinley welcoming atmosphere in a restaurant before. I wasn't sure on he soup and the owner literally brought out a spoonful so I could taste it! This is the 1st review I've written on a restaurant before, but with the supurb servuce and authentic and VERY yummy foodI felt compelled to rave about this burried treasure!

• Visited May 2013