“Pizza great, need to return to try other dishes”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Went there twice so far this summer, had two recommendations from friends. Both times on Thurs. eve and it was pretty quiet, just a few tables occupied. Ordered pizza both times (once we were with our kids) and a small green salad. My pizza 4 "seasons" was really good, nice dough, thins, neapolitan style. Nice tomato sauce too. You can have shredded mozzarella or fresh mozzarella for an up charge. Salad dressing was a nice red wine italian vinaigrette. Service was good. The only weird thing is that both times, the pizzas didn't come out together. I would understand for a large table, but for 4 pizzas? Thought that was weird, but in the end it was worth the wait. We'll be back to try other dishes.

There are newer reviews for Nuova Italia Ristorante

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed dinner here. We were pleasantly surprised that there is valet service offered here. Our valet, Ken, was very friendly and made us feel welcomed. The food was delicious! There is a nice variety on the menu. Highly recommend.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Wow! This place used to be a church. The atmosphere is fun. The food is amazing. We had a calamari appetizer. The main entrees came with soup or salad, which is unheard of lately. Hats off to this place for doing that. The main entrees were exquisite. I had tilapia and my husband had chicken marsala. The tilapia tasted fresh caught. The calamari out of this world, also. This is a high recommendation on my part.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We went here after reading all the great reviews and had high expectations. Little did we know that we were in for the shock of our lives! I've never written a review before but this experience had to be shared. Everything that could've gone wrong with a pleasant dining experience did go wrong. Just about the only thing pleasant that night was the valet guy.

As we stepped foot into the old church turned restaurant, there was no hostess to greet us. We looked around and the place did not seem packed for a Friday night. A few minutes later a young lady who looked liked she hated life and her job showed up. After rambling the menus and walking back and forth to check on a table (it was clearly pretty empty with the exception of a couple of tables) she seated our family of four next to this bigger party that was really loud. At the table, we had no silverware. After being seated for about 5 to 10 minutes, the waitress appeared but seemed very rushed, neither personal nor warm. She was waiting on 3 other tables around us. We ordered the grilled calamari which was highly recommended in one of the previous reviews......worst appetizer ever --- cold from sitting out too long and chewier than the toughest leather. We called the waitress (as she never checked on us) and had her exchange for the fried calamari. Just as bad but we didn't want to complain anymore about the appetizer. We were dying of thirst as our drinks never got refilled while we waited and waited and waited. We figured out the strategy was to get her attention and ask her to refill our drinks when needed instead of waiting around like polite civilized people dining in a finer establishment. Our entree came out an hour later. My husband order the sea salt baked sea bass and I had the linguini frutti di mare. Husband didn't love his overpriced special dish but neglected to send it back and ate what he could like a champ. I sent mine back because it was super salty and called it a night. Did I also forget to mention the table behind us kept sending their food back as well? I guess we were not the only unhappy diners that night. As for the kids' wood burning brick oven pizza, just mediocre.

Chicagoland has fantastic food and we've not been let down in the few months we've been here.... until now.

4  Thank Q G
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Who would have thought that a vegan could find happiness in an Italian restaurant? We ended up here as a second choice when the restaurant we had hoped to visit was closed. And what an amazing surprise we had in store for us.

When you arrive, you enter a beautifully decorated area and are greeted by friendly staff, quickly seated, and well attended by waitstaff throughout the meal. That's where the surprise begins.

Our group of 10 had only two vegans. Of course everyone else was satisfied by the menu. But we had to ask for some modifications. And they were cheerfully granted! Since everything is made fresh, from scratch, in the kitchen, it's easy for the chef to alter recipes on the fly. I had the Penne Al Capone, but they left off the meat and stuffed it with additional fresh vegetables. The portions were huge, and I ended up taking half with me to enjoy for lunch the next day.

We've been back again and will continue to return. It's become one of our favorites.