“A Lovely Saturday Buffet Spot”

Taste of Himalayas Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 176 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fargo, North Dakota
“A Lovely Saturday Buffet Spot”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Taste of Himalayas restaurant was a delightful spot for a Saturday buffet. We started the day 4 miles south, walking the Fox River trail from Fabyan Preserve past Geneva to St. Charles. The restaurant was on the north end of downtown in a nondescript building that resembled an old pancake house. We arrived a little before noon and were the first customers in the place. It seemed family-operated, and the (our best guess) father and son welcomed us. The son took care of water, soda, and a generous, WARM basket of Naan. In addition, he served us terrific grilled chicken legs, seasoned wonderfully, with grilled onions and peppers. The buffet, itself, had about 8 dishes, including rice with saffron, potatoes, several types of chicken (curried, etc.), some veggie dishes including Dal, and even a doughnut hole-style dessert. The service was caring, the food was terrific, we took just enough - not too much, and spent less than $30. We walked back to Fabyan Preserve knowing that we'd return.

• Visited September 2013

Schagen
“OMG...Delicious!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I love Indian food and when we were searching for good restaurants to go to while staying in Saint Charles, IL, we stumbled upon this Nepalese restaurant and decided to try it out.
We were NOT dissappointed and even ended up going there twice out of our four-day stay.
I had the veg-Thali which is really a value meal for one (or maybe 1,5) person. The veg-Thali consists of 6 smaller versions of the vegie dishes they have on the menu and a small bowl of rice. ALL very good! Especially the veggie korma and the kheer stole my heart.
So much so, that the second night I chose the veggie Korma as a meal and regretted there was no more room for the Kheer...
Service was quick and very correct, food arrived fast (in about 10-15 minutes). Nothing to complain here.

This restaurant will be remembered :-)

Visited June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Something delicious for the entire family”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have had our fair share of pizzas and burgers at restaurants in St. Charles. When we drove by and saw this restaurant, we had to try it. I like Indian food but am 15 weeks pregnant, so was worried about it being too spicy or oily. I didn't know if my toddler would eat anything more than a naan bread and my vegetarian husband is very picky when it comes to Indian cuisine. Well we LOVED the food here. We had a vegetarian assorted platter to share. Toddler tried a paneer pakora and said 'yucky' which wasn't a big surprise. But I tried it and thought it was tastey. My husband loved his Vegetarian Thali and I ate my Lamb Tikka Masala until my stomach ached. The best part was the mac n' cheese available for children was a sensible size and actually pretty tastey. Our son had that and a mango lassi. If my kid enjoys his meal, then I get to enjoy my meal. The manager/owner was extremely friendly. I made sure I picked up a take out menu when we left because we will definitely be coming back. Please give this place a chance. Great, unique food in the suburbs is hard to find.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Amy W
New Hampshire
“Best Indian Cuisine in the Far-Western Suburbs”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Service was impeccable and all the dishes were what you should expect from Indian cuisine. The server was very helpful in suggesting a dish to go along with the rest of our order and it was the perfect addition. You really can't go wrong with anything you order, as it all was delicious!

• Visited November 2012
Schaumburg, Illinois
“A nice evening out”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this place. It's a bit out of our way for Indian food but I was intrigued by Nepalase quisine. There are some Nepalese dishes though most are standard Indian choices. They had a Nepalese style cauliflower which was spectacular. The Nepalase chicken we had was just like Tandoori chicken and a bit overlooked and dry but the flavor was good. The Nepalese stir fried goat appetizer was similar to the chicken, flavorful but a bit overlooked. Add the green chutney to it and it was pretty tasty. The naan and tandoori roti were very good and the portions were large so there was plenty to take home. As we have a favorite Indian nearby we won't we going back often though if we are in the area we would go again.

• Visited July 2012