“For last moment serving”

Taste of Himalayas Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 179 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“For last moment serving”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We wend 9:30 last moment with some friends from a conference the staff let as to order and make this sort dinner pleasant,when you walk inside you smell blend of spices and cleanes combine the friendly and polite staff plus the food was what you expect from the first impression .

• Visited April 2012

Geneva, Illinois
“Attractive Clean Restaurant Serving Traditional Northern Indian Cuisine”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went on a Sunday night right before they about to close at 9pm. Staff was very cordial and accommodating and didn't rush us at all. The restaurant is tastefully decorated with warm colors. We ordered chicken tikka masala, Rogan Josh lamb dish, lamb paneer which is lamb in a pureed spinach curry gravy and an eggplant dish. We had the option of having the dishes prepared mild, medium or hot. We had naan (India flatbread) to accompany the main dishes. All the dishes were tasty, prepared in the traditional way. The naan was very fresh, crispy on the outside, soft inside. Entrees ranged from $10 to $15. The portions are very adequate. We brought the leftovers home. They also have a nice selection of wines and beers, not just from India. They also have a full bar inside the restaurant.

I would say the food was delicious, prepared right and reasonably priced. Service was good. And despite being the only customers there, the staff left us alone so we felt comfortable, unlike in other restaurants where they watch you the entire meal, waiting to be called upon.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Jessdewetagain
Carol Stream, Illinois
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

A trip to the Taste of Himalayas restaurant is nothing short of an excellent experience.

From the moment I walked into the restaurant, I got the sense that the atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. It felt almost like I was visiting someone's home. Waiters and other staff were extremely polite and were always on hand to refill glasses of water and cater to the needs of our group.

The food was spectacular. I ordered the vegetable pakora to start, and followed it with shish kabab for the main dish. Portions were excellent, and the food was prepared and displayed beautifully. In addition, our table shared a bread basket (an absolute must from this restaurant) which contained a wide selection of soft, tasty breads.

We were a group of 8 and ordered very different items, yet no-one left unhappy with their choice. Great selection and great price - this restaurant is a must for those new to Indian/Nepali cuisine or those who enjoy it on a regular basis.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank daveyg2611
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Best Indian Food in the Midwest. Hands Down!”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Straight down, from Customer Service to the cuisine, this place is unbeatable. I have eaten in this restaurant 3 times total and taken out much more, mainly because my husband isn't a fan of Indian food in general. Every time I've walked into the Taste of Hymalayas, I am immediately greeted and the servers all smile at me and are very very friendly. My food from there is consistently delicious. I love their Chicken Tikka Masala (I've tried both mild and spicy, and the spicy isn't overly spicy), the Garlic Naan is delish, Vegetable Simosas are great there, Mango Lassi is a MUST, and the Tandoori Chicken is phenomenal. They may recommend you get a lentil curry dish to accompany the Tandoori chicken, but it's not necessary. The chicken is fantastic on its own. At your table, they bring you a tray of 3 different dipping sauces that you can try both on this seasoned chip-like snack they start everyone off with. The dips are tasty and I have tried all 3. The green one is more spicy than the rest, but the waiter lets you know that ahead of time. Reviewing this place is making my mouth water, so I should probably stop. Please visit there as soon as you can! Prices are a little higher than other restaurants in the area, but if you LOVE Indian food as much as I do, you will not regret any money spent at this restaurant. PS: They are closed on Mondays.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Kendall P
Chicago, IL
“Great Indian Food!”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Taste of Himalayas covers the basic Indian cuisine with an emphasis on that of northern India and Nepal. Food is very nicely prepared. They do not skimp on the herbs and spices that give this cuisine its traditional, rich flavor. I mention this because such ingredients can be very expensive, but that is not reflected in the reasonable pricing here. Also portions are quite generous, and served "family style" (like most Chinese restaurants, for example). There is almost always something left over to take home.

There are other plusses to Taste of Himalayas: first, is the fact that being the only Indian restaurant in the whole area they have no competition and could easily take the low road on quality, but far from that, they do the exact opposite; and second (though not least!) you will probably be greeted by the owner who always exhibits very soft-spoken, "old world" courtesy. For example, once when we arrived during a heavy rain he ran out to our car with an umbrella for us, getting himself soaked in the process, but did so cheerfully. You don't see that level of service too often!

Visited November 2011