“Fantastic”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Great food, great service, great experience! Not many people were there when I went, but the people that were there were as happy as me!

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Quick synopsis: I highly recommend this restaurant and plan on returning every time I'm in the area.

Details:
My mother and I were vacationing in Warrenville and needed to get away from the chain and/or snooty restaurants. Don't get me wrong. I'm a foodie and will not settle for mediocrity. I just don't want to pay $50 a person, which are a plenty in the Naperville area. So we decided to try this restaurant in near by St. Charles. It was worth the trip. Here is a rundown of the experience in a Saturday night.

There was plenty of parking.

We were warmly greeted immediately.

We were seated immediately.

The service was amazing.

The menu was mostly sushi but has teriyaki, tempura, and bento boxes for dinner. There was more but that is what we were looking for.

The miso was fine, the salad interesting (I was expecting the orange ginger dressing common in this type of restaurant but, instead, it had a light vinegarette).

The dishes and glasses were modern and nice. It allowed for a great presentation of the food.

The bento box was big and had teriyaki, tempura, rice, and sushi. It was wonderful. The teriyaki was light and flavorful. In fact, I would order that alone next time. But know this, everything was good there.

The ambiance was great and, while we didn't sit in them, there are two small rooms at the front where you can sit on the floor. I loved that experience as a kid and it is nice to know that is an option here.

As travelers both focusing in losing weight, we were tired of the burger and pizza joints abundant in the area. We wanted something lighter but still filling. We found it here. We were stuffed and happy by the end.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were only the 2nd couple to arrive at Sushi Yama, at about 6:45 on Saturday, so I was worried they didn't turn their fresh food over often. However, before we were there even 10 minutes, 4 other tables were seated, so we knew although it was small, it was popular.
Sushi and sashimi were very fresh. The yellowfin, tuna, and salmon were all high quality and delicious. There was a variety of standard and specialty rolls as well as a few specials, and everything we tried tasted great. The service was very friendly and attentive, and the entire staff was available to answer questions. The table next to us seemed very high maintenance, lots of allergies and aversions, and the staff was accomodating and polite throughout their dinner, even coming back to make sure their substitutions were acceptable to those diners. Sake, wine, and Japanese beers were available.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have eaten many Asian restaurants and this one which is owned by Chinese has great Sushi and Chinese tasting food of any place in the Chicago western suburbs. The fish dinner that I had tonight was really fresh and tasty. We had Pork dumpling and soft shell crab appetizers, and tried some of our guests dishes such as the Short ribs, Udon Soup, which were extremely tasty. The dessert choices are excellent as well. We had creme brulee, which isn't Japanese,but it was still great. I will return and try other dishes in the future since it is worth trying.The service was friendly and very attentive by all the staff including the front entrance owners greeting us and even saying good bye to us. Thank you and Smiles are priceless. Kudos to our great server.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were greeted by Winston, who is very friendly and accommodating. Our waiter was Nicole. She was also very friendly and accommodating. The sushi was excellent, and priced well. The restaurant is very small and quaint. But the staff is amazing and a pleasure to visit. We will definitely go back to this restaurant whenever we want sushi.