“I'm a regular here”

Cuisines: American
Chicago, Illinois
“I'm a regular here”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I eat at Ginny's at least once a month or more. The food is excellent - the homemade soups are my favorite. When my family visited from Italy, we took them here one Sunday for brunch and my aunt still talks about "the best club sandwich she ever had." It's a simple neighborhood diner - no frills, but heart where it counts - in the food and service. We love this place and I tell people about it all the time.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Hist0ricTraveler

Grayslake, Illinois, USA
“A Nice Little Find in Round Lake for Breakfast!”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I actually requested that Trip Advisor add Ginny's, because we had a really nice, economic breakfast there, and I thought it was absolutely worth the mention.

ATMOSPHERE: Bright! While a little dive-diner-ish, meaning they haven't done an extreme amount of decorating the space, what's there is bright yellow, with sunlight streaming in from the store front window. It feels a bit like going to Grandma's house, in a pleasant way. It's small, maybe 20 tables or less, buy homey.

FOOD: Tasty. My ham and cheese omlette was made with REAL, off the bone ham, and trust me you can taste the difference. My husband had the "garbage plate", which sounds weird, but was excellent - a little bit of everything tasty, and the ingredients came together in a way that made you full and very satisfied. My children had PEANUT BUTTER and JELLY pancakes - OMG! If you have kids, and they like PB&J, you are a bad parent if you don't bring them here for these hot cakes (mostly kidding, but you get the point - there's no way you can pass these up). My girls, who normally don't eat breakfast, ate every last crumb of these pancakes that tasted strangely and wonderfully like the real thing. Everything was fresh, hot, and very authentic, made with love, and so well worth the trip.

SERVICE: Pretty great. The server, who also appeared to be "Ginny", was very accommodating to our requests. She was attentive, never did our coffee cups get more than half empty, and she was right there to help clean when our child spilled chocolate milk. Though there were a number of filled tables, we never felt rushed or forgotten. The service alone, and the welcome feeling you get from being there, is enough to pay a visit.

VALUE: Great, at least for breakfasts (which is the only time we've visited to date). There's not a breakfast item on the menu that's more than $6 or $7 dollars, with most things priced between $4 and $5. I'm not sure how Ginny puts out the quality she does with such modest charges, but I'll take it happily. I don't think you can get a better breakfast at this value anywhere.

Pay a visit to Ginny's Cafe. It's warm, inviting, and down-home style, mixed with really great food at great prices, will have you hooked.

• Visited October 2011