“it was okay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
Madison, WI
“it was okay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

The rooms were spacious and clean. However, the front desk was understaffed and there is insufficient parking if the hotel gets full. They told me I could park in a parking garage a few blocks away then they walked away from me without even telling me where the thing was!!! It was only when I demanded to speak with the manager (who incidentally was who I had tell me to park in this unknown garage) and threatened to leave and not pay for my night that they arranged the shuttle to lead me to this garage and shuttle me back as well as give me free parking for the inconvenience.

The following morning once again the front desk was understaffed. They did not leave a copy of the bill for express checkout like most hotels do nowadays so you had to wait in the line at the front desk in order to check out.

I had just stayed at a hotel downtown Chicago that was supreme in customer service so I had my expectations higher than what this place could give.

• Liked — Rooms were spacious and clean.
  • Disliked — Service was lacking.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank angibr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2008

I filled out a room-service breakfast card to have breakfast delivered at 6 a.m. the following morning, and I left the card on my doorknob as instructed. At 6 a.m. I woke and started waiting for breakfast, not wanting to shower until breakfast had arrived. At 6:30 I discovered the breakfast card still hanging on my doorknob. So I was now 30 minutes late getting ready and had to go without breakfast. I believe a trained monkey could collect breakfast cards from doorknobs, so I'm not sure why this facility could not accomplish this routine task.

Also, the bathtub was not clean, and I wanted to take a bath the night before, so I cleaned the bathtub myself.

Also, I ordered room service for dinner the night before for $14, and after all the fees and taxes were added, the bill was MORE than DOUBLE the price of the dinner!

Also, there was no minibar in the room or vending machine on the floors. I had to go down 9 floors to the gift shop, which was closed with a sign "Back in a few minutes."

• Liked — Suites
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank aliasalias
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2007

This is an excellent O'Hare area hotel - significantly less expensive than some major competitors, very close to the airport, and very spacious.

Being an airport hotel, the shuttle service is very important - and this hotel does a decent job - though it would be great to be more frequent than 20 mins. However, the driver was great and the trip is very quick (some so-call O'Hare area hotels can take 20 mins to travel to while this one is always a few mins away).

The lobby area seemed pretty nice. While breakfast and internet in room was not included, we did not care too much as the room was almost $80 cheaper than a comparable chain further away from the airport. The exterior of the rooms is a bit weird - where the living room has a window directly on the hallway and open-area between the room levels. However, once you close the shade, it is easy to forget the immediate outside area. (Only the bedroom has outdoor-facing windows.)

The area has a number of restaurants for those who drive - including two-minutes from the wonderful Giordano's pizza restaurant. The area is not super-wonderful but not too bad and way better than some O'Hare area hotels whose neighborhoods resemble low-rent-truck-stop meets urban poverty.

The rooms are very large - being an all-suite hotel. The decor is a bit kitsch; however, the photos here and on the hotel's website make it look more dingy than it really is. It is clean - just maybe a bit weird style.

Three small issue that we had were: (1) the bed was a bit old and not super-comfy, (2) there was an extreme temperature difference (in a December snow storm) between the living room and bedroom - - the thermostat was in a strange area as was the vent, and finally (3) the pay-TV was not working in relation to sports channels. I was pleased to see that you could get all NHL, NFL, and NBA games in the room via satellite - though I could not say how much it is as it was not working the night we were there. I wanted to get the NBA games, but was told that the hotel was repairing something.

Overall, this is a very good airport hotel. We may even try to stay for a city stay - taking the blue line from O'Hare - - I am debating this as we could save over $200/night versus the city.

• Liked — Location to airport and spacious
  • Disliked — Shuttle should be more frequent (20 mins)
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BanaPona
Knoxville, TN.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2007

I booked a room here for this past Saturday night (Sat. Nov. 17). I booked by calling the 800 number on the back of my SGP card.

This is my second stay at this fantastic little hotel. It's not in the same catagory as my favorite hotel (Park Hyatt Chicago), but it's always been low key and pleasant. It always feels fairly empty to me; I know there are people staying here, but it never "feels" crowded. (a very good thing).

The rooms and beds are comfortable. The suites are modestly styled, and my room this year had two flat panel televisions included! (a welcome touch - I relaxed and watched Comedy Central before bed).

All in all, I love this hotel. When we stayed here, traffic was not bad driving into the loop from Rosemont. Next time I return to Chicago, if I don't stay at the Park Hyatt, i'll stay here...

• Liked — Proximity to O'Hare
  • Disliked — ATM fee is $3.50; though it was out of money.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Parksville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2007

If you don't mind the 90 mins. it takes to get to downtown Chicago then this place is for you. The front desk and all the staff go out opf their way to add value. And the suites are really a nice switch from litle hotel rooms. Good value for money!

• Disliked — the awful amount of time it takes to get to the Loop. (90 mins)
Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Kapulanikai
SA TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

We had a very nice room, which fortunately allowed my friend to smoke, something hard to find these days. The window opened so I could enjoy the fresh air and she could let the smoke out. The bed was very comfortable, room was clean and the 2 TVs decent size. The staff was excellent for giving advice on commutes via the EL into town, BUT having said that, they had not taken it into town recently. The trip, we were told, was supposed to be @ 45 min-1hr. depending on track construction. It took us 2 hours going in and out both Saturday and Sunday, we had to get off the train 4 stops into town, get on a shuttle bus, go thru city traffic to the next stop, reboard a train and continue to town. Two of the 3 transfer points to the red line were closed in the loop leaving many of us lost. Thank heaven for great Chicago people...they helped us out and even walked us to the next train to get us going again. Coming back to O"hare..you take the hotel shuttle bus to O'hare to catch the EL into town and back....it took us 2 1/2 hrs. and many people traveling from downtown hotels to catch planes missed their flights because of the delays on the EL. That isn't the hotels fault...just be aware of that when deciding between high priced downtown hotels and an O'hare location.
This will be going on they said until the holidays...on weekends only...but those transfer points will be closed for work until 2008.
We stayed at the Gateway because of the great Sr. rate we got and the 2 room suite...thinking it would be easy enough to commute for 3 days into the loop. We liked the hotel, there are good restaurants walking distance, but we wasted 4-5 hrs on Sat and Sun. just commuting. Monday was about 1 hour.

• Liked — 2 room suite, good beds
  • Disliked — commute time into downtown
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank mama4llama
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2007

This was a hotel booked through Hotwire that was worth it for us so we can spend time in Chicago sightseeing. The free airport shuttle can take you to the O'hare subway stop to take into Chicago. It is a long ride into the city itself than staying in the city, but didn't have to pay the high parking fees of downtown hotels. The airport shuttle has a closing time as well as the subway, so make sure to get the contact number to call for a pick-up. Most of the evenings we were in by 10pm since sightseeing wore us out. They have a breakfast buffet for sale, but we went other places nearby. The room has an inner room and outer lounge room. It was quiet although you can see the planes arriving and departing from O'Hare. The staff was friendly and there is free fresh fruit at the desk. Also the pool was clean and the sauna was relaxing. The fitness room was basic and not on the floor with the pool/sauna. My dog enjoyed his stay as well and there were no problems. We kept him locked up in the inner room and made sure he wasn't disturbed by housekeeping while we were gone.

• Liked — I enjoyed the courtesy airport shuttle
  • Disliked — The breakfast buffet was too pricey
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends