Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport Hotel
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
$179
SpringHill Suites
Chicago Marriott Suites O'Hare(Rosemont)(Great Value!)
$255
Westin.com
$164
$149
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfront deskliving roomthe club loungeo'hare airportsitting arealarge roomfree shuttlebed was comfortablebusiness meetingthe shuttle driverstayed here for one nightvery nice hotelfitness centeran early flighto harechicagoparking
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Being SPG Platinum, have preferred to stay at the Westin whenever plans did not demand staying right on sight at the Hilton. However, Westin is getting old and dated, and its lack of an exec lounge has always been a disappointment. With a park and fly deal at Sheraton decided to give it a try.

It was very good. The remodel makes a tremendous difference. The lounge is well-stocked and the morning attendant was very helpful. The room was larger than I was expecting (when comparing with Embassy Suites. Rooms were also more quiet than I was expecting given it does sit at the end of the E/W runways and alongside two busy streets. They also were remodelling the gym at the time of my stay. While I can not comment on what the new gym will look like, they did handle the situation admirably with a free entry to the nearby club which is a very good one. Proximity to a couple of decent restaurants in walking district (Harry Carays, Nicks Fishmarket) as well as McDonalds is a nice asset.

Those that are really looking to find fault with this property could. The lobby is an afterthought and can be a bit crowded and confusing. The remodel still does not bring it to the standards of the new construction Sheratons which I love. The shuttle pickup is slower than I would have preferred. This all probably took a star from the review.

All in all, a very solid stay, one that is likely a good value relative to what other hotels charge in the area, particularly if you value space and a good breakfast.

Room Tip: North facing rooms likely the quietest under most wind conditions although east facing rooms good when planes landing to the west.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I used to stay here a lot when they were Sheraton Gateway Suites but now they've dropped it to a simple Sheraton, but the suites are thankfully, all still here. I used to stay before flights home from Chicago b/c it's so close to O'Hare, but in recent years I've added trips with my son, who is now 2.5 years old. This is a great place to stop between my home and my original hometown.

The best part, IMO, is the new look. Everything is classy- and it changes this hotel to a lower type hotel to a more elegant place to stay. Gone is the bar area- it now resides in the old restaurant area. Plat members will likely be ambivalent about the new lounge. It's quite nice and has hot appetizers, cheese and crackers, veggies, etc. You can choose your own soft drink or water, even milk, from the fridge under the bar. It's open from 6pm to 9pm for appetizers, but I was told 6am to 9am for breakfast? That doesn't make much sense as breakfast used to be the best part about this hotel. Plat members received free breakfast buffet in the restaurant. Now we can choose from a hot dish and breads, cereal, etc., in the lounge. But it's not the breakfast we USED to get. Still, I like the lounge, and as my room was nearby on the 11th floor, I could take things back to my room. (Especially nice with a 2 year old!)

I've been looking up to the 11th floor for years now, wondering what they were going to do. Now they've done it. The living rooms of the suites are filled with new couches, chairs, tvs, etc. My son loved the leather ottoman in front of the couch. The bathroom is the same, or at least it looks it. It's nice so I'm sure they redid it, but nothing really different (still quite small.) The beds have white Westin-like duvets, and very nice shade and curtains. I DO miss having a bed table on each side of the bed, but it wouldn't fit, I guess. The 2nd tv is nice and the view from up here is filled with airplanes, as my son pointed out.

I don't like that the pool is gone, only b/c it was a great way to entertain kids- let them exhaust themselves. But I'm sure most people stay here b/c they're flying, as the airport board in the lobby is evidenced by.

Each suite has a fridge (I would add a microwave to the 11th floor (Club) rooms, but that's just me. ANd I like that they left the vending machines, though the lounge had plenty of drinks to choose from.

I wondered why the rates were up for the property, but it is just absolutely lovely. The employees are kind, the suites are roomy (no worrying about upgrades- they're all suites) and with the redo, it really is as nice as the Westin, IMO. But I prefer the suites to a regular room.

I will HOPE that the rates drop back down, but other than that- 2 thumbs up!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Positives: As of mid-March, the remodeling is nearly finished. The rooms, all 2-room suites, are really very nice. A door separates the sleeping area from the rest. Large screen TVs in both rooms. Small fridge, single-cup coffee maker, iron, hair dryer (no microwave). A small sink next to the coffee maker is a nice touch. New, comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Quick elevators. Harry Caray's italian restaurant and Nick's Fish Market are easy walking distance.

Negatives: The big one for me is - no free continental breakfast, and breakfast is not cheap at the restaurant. Also, going to the restaurant takes much more time. This place is extremely close to O'Hare airport, so depending on winds and your room location, take-off noise could become an issue (although it wasn't bad for me). There is limited parking in the hotel lot, so they charge an extra $8 a day for it. Free parking is about 300 yards away in a parking garage. I also noticed some people parking at the adjacent Holiday Inn, which has a free lot (although I'm not recommending that).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I arrived at the Sheraton O'Hare after my flight was cancelled. I checked in at around 10 p.m. and noticed the place was deserted. I soon found out why - this place is under renovation.

When I got to my room on the 7th floor, I noticed dishes outside. I inserted the key card and the green light went on but the door would not open. Noises from the inside confirmed my suspicion that there were already people in that particular room.
So I went back downstairs, got another key and went back upstairs to my room. I turned on the overhead light - an extremely harsh fluorescent before trying some of the other lamps. All are far too bright, especially when amplified by white shades. The bright lights also served to illuminate some extremely ugly wall paper.
That said, my newly-renovated room was very spacious with a sitting room in the front with a flat screen t.v., desk and new furnishings. The carpet was nice, it had pretty curtains with very efficient pull-down shades (blocked the ugly view but let in natural light) and a good bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens/duvet were great. I slept well...until 8:00 when the construction started!

Now when I got in, I was hungry. But the room phone did not work. I tried calling the front desk on my phone but no one answered. The sole woman on the front desk was over-worked and when I got downstairs to ask about ordering a meal, she waved me off towards the restaurant where I ordered a chicken quesadilla...it was nothing to write home about although the guacamole was good.

All in all, this is an average airport hotel. Most importantly, you can't hear any of the planes and the bed was super comfortable. There is also a free airport shuttle to take you back to O'Hare. To get downtown I'm told it would cost $60 by cab...so take the shuttle back to O'Hare to take the elevated train.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is a tired hotel that is in the middle of a renovation. the rooms (suites) are a good size but always seem dark, a function of the inner atrium. Location is good, the restaurant next door (Harry Carey's) is a great choice. the bad news is that service is indifferent, internet service in some rooms a bit spotty.
The Starwood lounge is surprisingly nice with great service compared to the rest of the staff.
It will be interesting to see what it looks like in a few months when the renovations are complete.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business