“Very unpleasant stay with annoying staff”

Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I would never have picked this hotel to stay at if it were not for the convention my husband and I were attending there. The rooms are moderate sized, with a plain, no-frills, bland look to them. (The pictures on the hotel's website are of a suite, maybe those are better than the double queen-bed room we stayed in.) Fixtures in the bathtub were rusty and looked unclean. The beds were soft and comfortable, probably the only thing I liked. The thing I liked least about the hotel was the cleaning staff - loud vacuum cleaners at 8am, with staff knocking on our door saying "housekeeping", despite the "do not disturb" sign on the door handle. While on vacation, my husband and I like to sleep in, and should not be disturbed by cleaning staff. I complained about this at the front desk, but it still happened daily. When we were checking out, we were asked how we liked our stay - and I told them again about housekeeping not honoring the "do not disturb" signs. They asked us why we didn't say anything earlier!!!!!

Another complaint also concerns housekeeping - we hung a beach towel on the back of the bathroom door to dry, and housekeeping removed it when they cleaned the room! When I told the front desk about this, they seemed unconcerned, as if why I was getting upset about a towel. They said they'd look for it, but it was never recovered. They did offer us a towel from the hotel to replace the one we lost - an old yellowed, thin towel that looked like the hotel was going to throw it out anyway. Very sad.

I did like the restaurant, great food, very nice staff, comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoseKMichigan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed July 3, 2009

Clean, newly renovated rooms. Nice indoor heated pool & fitness center with Life Fitness equipment. Bright and spaceous meeting rooms. On the negative side, onsite restaurant / cafe has a limited menu and extremely overpriced. Closest low-budget place to eat (Subway, Denny's, 7-eleven) a mile away.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Abel A
Reviewed June 14, 2009

As others have pointed out, this hotel is currently being renovated-in fact, literally half of each floor is currently under construction. I spent 2 nights there this week for a business meeting & though I knew there was construction going on, I was a bit surprised when I arrived at just how much there was. The side of the floor currently under construction must have been where the ice machines were originally located as, at the time of my visit, the only functioning machine in the hotel for guests to use is in the basement & w/several of the elevators also out of service, it can be a bit of a trek to get ice.

Thankfully there has been no change to the bedding being used & the beds remain, I think, probably the best part of staying at a CP. The rest of the new design choices, well, let's just say they aren't to my taste. I'm pretty sure I have a mixing bowl at home about the size of the new sinks in the bathrooms, but I'm also pretty sure I've never considered washing my face or brushing my teeth in it. I, & my colleague, found them to be very akward to use. So much so that he took several pictures of it to send to his wife so she'd know what kind of sink to NOT put in the bathroom they are renovating at home! I also question the color choices for the rooms-I think that's going to look very outdated in a very short period of time. Given how much time, effort, & money goes into doing a hotel renovation, & how long it needs to last for, I do question the choices made. The sofa & ottoman in the room are made out of a plush material that, while it looks nice when new, is going to be very difficult to keep clean given how much wear & tear it will receive.

Interestingly, they have decided to keep the 'don't steal me' hangers, but even more interesting is the fact that the closets now just have a hanging curtain vs. a real door. Also very interesting is the fact that they no longer have suitcase stands available for the guestrooms-there is apparently one built in to the double bed rooms, but those in a king bed room are just out of luck. I ended up flipping the wastebasket under the desk over & putting my suitcase on that. There is a mini-fridge in the room (it's in the cabinet under the coffee maker), which is a nice plus. The rooms themselves could have used some additional sound-proofing in the windows as the hotel is right under the departure path for O'Hare.

The hotel advertises 3 restaurants on site, but I think that's a bit of a stretch. There is a bar/lounge & a real restaurant, but both are only open in the evening. For breakfast & lunch there is a grill w/a very limited menu & no table service. Food overall is good & certainly no complaints re: the portion size-in fact, I couldn't finish the breakfast sandwich either morning. Be sure to check-out Gibson's Steakhouse in the Doubletree right next door at least once-it's a bit on the pricey side, but definately worth it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2009

PROS:
The new rooms are amazing - very contemporary, extremely comfortable beds and plasma TVs in every room.The staff was very helpful to make our experience comfortable, they quickly brought us a tooth brush and an additional comforter upon a call to the front desk. When renovation is complete this hotel will be as fancy as the more expensive Hyatt across the street.

CONS:
Parking is priced absurdly high - $20 per day. Internet is not included - $12.95 per day. The hotel was under construction and they wouldn't give us a discount after we were rudely awakened at 6:30am on Friday and Saturday morning because they were drilling right beneath our rooms...

Overall impression -
This hotel will soon be the best deal (if you don't have to park or use internet) out of the many hotels in the little cluster near the convention center. Just make sure you ask them if renovation is finished.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank fisqual
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Missed my flight, United booked me at the Crown Plaza. They told me it was a 4 star hotel. I seriously doubt that.

The carpet is fraying at the seams, and it just looks tired. Like the staff. They booked me into my room, gave me the key card, and I slept until 12:45 when security came knocking on my door to see if the room was occupied. This was especially annoying since I had to be up at 5:00 to make my re-scheduled flight.

When I went to check out, they had my room number incorrect, and 3 days later it looks like they still have not refunded my deposit. After 3 calls to accounting, I talked to someone who wasn't quite sure how the system worked, but wanted me to trust them to fix it. After all of the previous snafu's, I don't have much faith in them.

The food service must be run by a different company. My meal in the bar and my breakfast in the cafe were both very good.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ricodelrosado
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Travelling with business colleagues, we were forced to spend an unplanned stop over in Chicago when British Airways and American Immigration contrived to cause us to miss our connection to Louisville.

British Airways frantically sought to put us up in a lower standard hotel, but unfortunately, they were all full, so we were sent to the Crowne Plaza.

It is a standard business hotel, but I found it to be clean, comfortable, and everything in the room worked! We also used the restaurant, and found it to be absolutely fine, although the enormous portions meant a lot of food went to waste!

For a night stopover, this hotel is ideal with a free shuttle to O Hare Airport (10 mins away). I would imagine the lack of alternative restaurants and bars around would make a longer stay a bit more tedious.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Frequent_hotel_user
Reviewed June 25, 2008

This is a tired old gal. Pretty good location. Rooms had wonderful bed linens and that was about it. Bathroom had old barely-functioning fixtures (except for the from-the-fifties hairdryer which did not work), the hallways had a sour smell and the entire property needs a facelift.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family