“Beautiful Room” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Springfield, Illinois
“Beautiful Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

My wife & I recently stayed at the InterContinental Chicago-O'Hare. Our room was deluxe
from the title as well as all the amenities that went along with it. The veiw was breath taking overlooking the Des Plaines River Preserve, with the beautiful Chicago skyline in the background. We will certainly recommend to our friends & will be back. Thanks to the entire staff for making our weekend so special. Rm 1205 best in the house. Thanks

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rjrsales
Alexandriaboy, Director of Sales at Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. We agree that the view looking east is wonderful. The forest preserve in front of the hotel is protected property so we are fortunate that we will enjoy this same view long into the future. And, of course, there are few skylines in the world that can compare to Chicago's. Please let us know if there is ever anything we can assist with in the future. Thank you again.
Patrick Cook
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Muscatine, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I was quite surprised by how nice this hotel was for $60 a night from Hotwire. Will look into it again. Beds were welcoming and comfy. The bathroom was spacious and very updated. Room was large and lots of storage for that longer stay.

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Garypaul1256
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

Recently spent two nights at this upscale hotel. Generally, I avoid staying anywhere near an airport, especially in a great city like Chicago. However, I had no choice as my company picked this location for several days of meetings.

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It has a very contemporary vibe and is filled with excellent modern art. My room was large and tastefully furnished. Very comfortable king-size bed, copious down pillows, nice linens, and plenty of room.

The bath was gorgeous. Loved the walk-in, glass-enclosed rain shower. It had nice contemporary finishes, although it was a little dark making make up application a bit difficult. WiFi worked flawlessly, too.

And, despite close proximity to O'Hare, I never heard the planes landing or taking off while I was in the hotel. A large range of conference rooms, excellent A/V staff, and the catering was very good.

Just outside the hotel are several dining options -- upscale chains like McCormick & Schmicks and Capital Grille, which is convenient given that it feels like you are stuck in nowhere land.

The service was a little inconsistent. I checked in on arrival in the morning and my room was not available (no problem), but when I arrived back at registration in the early evening to pick up my key, I had to wait nearly 10 minutes (along with a line of other guests). It's great for the desk staff to spend a lot of time with individual guests (I overheard them giving restaurant recommendations, etc.), but when there is a line of other guests waiting, they need to speed things along. Service in the restaurant was slow at breakfast time, too.

However, room service was speedy and extremely courteous. And the entire staff is very courteous and eager to please.

Bottom line, if you have to stay near O'Hare, this Intercontinental is an excellent option.

3 Thank hg6649
Alexandriaboy, Director of Sales at Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear hg6649,
Thank you for your recent stay and for the feedback. With your assistance and others' we are able to best gauge our service levels. We are pleased that you found the hotel comfortable and the design intriguing. During the next 60 days we will begin installation of our next art exhibit which will feature award-winning work from a collection of Chicago-area universities. We believe our guests will find this work unique and inspiring. We are also presenting a solid lineup of music and comedy in our Montrose Room, including stand-up from Zaney's, the English Beat, Freddy Jones Band, and the Meters.
We hope you will return soon and let us know your thoughts on these changes.
Thank you again for your comments.
Sherman Oaks, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

I was starting to think I was turning into a crank . . . . .

I have had a number of complaints about hotels lately -- especially after just returning from three weeks in Italy. Then I land (somewhat literally) at the InterCon O'Hare. This hotel was selected for me for a work function at the hotel. From the moment I checked-in I was impressed with the service and attitude of the staff. The guy checking me in FULLY explained everything I needed to know. Although I am a newbie (first stay) in the frequent guest program here, he thanked me for being a member of the program. I am top tier VIP Diamond in the Hilton Honors program and am rarely recognized and thanked this way at a Hilton. He explained the free internet and the code (and how/where to input it). He gave me a late checkout (3:00 PM -- WHITHOUT HAVING TO ASK/FIGHT FOR IT), and pointed out the elevators. I shouldn't be so amazed -- every hotel should do this, but they don't so I was.

The room is beautiful -- modern, clean, extremely comfortable beds which are fully changed EVERY DAY (none of this faux-enviro crap -- "help us save the environment, and oh yeah, we save a fortune too by offering less service . . . ."). The work desk was great and the internet was LIGHTNING FAST! The only room issue I have is lighting is kinda "mood" lighting. Its hard to get a lot of light if you really need it. And the bathroom is beautiful, but awkward as the sink is a free standing bowl and the only counter space is the ledge in front of the mirror. Even then a bit of that space was taken up with a white wooden tray/box that only held (as far as I could tell) the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The shower was nice with a rainshower head. The bath products were either generic or a brand i had never heard of -- seemed out of place with the rest of the high end feeling of the hotel. The restaurant had a great (all be it expensive) breakfast buffet. Service could have been a little faster on the uptake (had to seat myself, so never got a menu, coffee refills had to be flagged down, and the bill asked for -- again not horrible, but not in keeping with the rest of the hotel or the price point).

Checkout was smooth -- folio left under the door, although no way to checkout on the TV. I was lucky as there was no line at the front desk, but I could see this being an issue if everyone was checking out at the same time.

I took the shuttle in both directions to/from O'Hare. Great service in a nice van with leather seats and armrests -- even a bar (although not stocked -- wonder what they use that for(?)). It runs every 20 minutes -- can't beat that.

All in all a great stay that has renewed my faith in the hospitality industry!

3 Thank TransCon1
Alexandriaboy, Director of Sales at Loews Chicago O'Hare Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We appreciate the feedback. Our team, most of whom have been together since opening 2.5 years ago are proud of our hotel and the service provided. We understand that we are not perfect and will continue to work on further improving certain areas. Later this year, we will be opening our third restaurant - Wildfire, in the main lobby. At that time, we will offer a very unique 24-hour room service menu and a 3-meal/day full service dining room to complement The Capital Grille and McCormick & Schmick's. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels and look forward to welcoming you back with us in the future.
Patrick Cook
Director of Sales & Marketing
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

Service, service, service!

The staff in every part of the hotel was outstanding.

In addition to the standard desk, the room had a great window seat to sit and work with my laptop. I found the bathroom to have very limited counter space. With a beautiful pedestal sink there is little room to be "functional" with your toiletries. If I were sharing the room or if I were there for a longer time, managing through the lack of space would have been a bit annoying.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was trapped in Chicago and was fortunate enough to be able to get the Inter Continental at a discounted rate. However the front desk clerks do not seem to high take kindly to people using these discounts. I went up to the front desk and the clerk looked at me with "oh you have one of those". I also asked the front desk for some info and it was like trying trying to pull hair. One other time I asked for a late check out and the clerk gave me an extra hour and he did it while rolling his eyes.

I may not be your typical folk who stay at the Inter Continental but let me assure you I am a professional Accountant. Staff should not treat customers as they are 2nd class citizens.

Room Tip: Shuttle to airport was very quick and easy to use
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Stokesdale, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We missed our Connecting flight at O'hare due to thunderstorms and got this hotel thru Hotwire for a very good price. First off.. Its a nice Hotel. Very Modern. There was a long line at the desk due to alot of people being put up at that same hotel. The room itself was ok... I didnt really see anything that special about it, even though hotwire says its a 4.5 star hotel. The bathroom was large but, not my style I guess.. Odd sink, shower water comes from the ceiling, which I do not like at all. not very good water pressure so its hard to rinse your hair. The nicest thing in the room was the shower tiles.. green/blueish glass. The bed was nice, not the best I've ever had though. We got to the hotel about 10pm and everything was getting ready to close for the night. We went to a little resturant next door, wow.. high priced! We didnt order food.. just wine... 4 glasses = 40.00. Then we figured we go back to the hotel bar... 13.00 a glass of wine there. So we decided to order a pizza from one of the local resturants that deliver. That was a big mistake, he showed up two hours later. The employee's that we encountered were all very nice and friendly.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple