“slightly short of dismal”

Edward Hotel Chicago
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
Reviewed September 9, 2012

nice staff . no complaints there. Rooms ok --nice size. Just very mediocre . lobby feels bare and bland . The whole place smells of chemicals . The breakfast has lots, but little that seems healthy or fresh and the coffee is pretty poor . The food from the catering service for meetings is cheap but not so good .
The restaurant next door is really bad and if you don't have a car there is no where to walk that doesn't involve walking under a kind of creepy underpass or across some scarey intersections. For overnights transporting between the airport and hotel it is fine --more than 24 hours here is tough.

Room Tip: be aware ballroom is on top floor so you will hear thump thump from your ceiling if you are on a h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank loveslife
Adam M, General Manager at Edward Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Loveslife,

Thank you very much for the feedback I do appreciate it! I appreciate the positive comment about the staff and I will be sure to share it with them. You stated the lobby is bare and bland; could you please elaborate on that for me so I can see what improvements to make. Holiday Inn designed our lobby and the furniture so I would love to share you comments and feedback with the design team.

The scary intersection you are talking about is controlled by a traffic light which has a cross walk and a button to push to allow you to cross the street. You do have to go under an over pass and Rosemont does a great job ensuring it is clean and well kept but it is an over pass so I can understand your concern about being creepy.

I can not speak on behalf of the catering company because it’s an outside company who does the catering for the meetings but I can say I do get great reviews about the food. I will share your comments with Victoria’s banquets.

There are quite a few restaurants around the hotel and we are less then two miles away from downtown Rosemont which has a movie theater, casino, bowling alley and quite a few restaurants, pubs and shopping.

Thank you once again for your comments!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Very nice and clean room. Gated area for cars left for park and fly purposes. You can leave your car for up to 10 days. Much cheaper to use the park and fly then park at Ohare. We rented a room and parked our car for 10 days and had a free hot breakfast for 175.00 dollars. Would stay here again

Room Tip: view from the 8th floor was great
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

SDKD2000,

Thank you very much for the kind words I truly do appreciate it! A lot of the time all people do is focus on the negatives so it is very refreshing to hear positives. I will share your experience with the staff! Thank you once again and if you ever need anything please do not hesitate to let me know.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was there over the past weekend ( August 16-19, 2012) for a wedding. Rex at check-in was extremely nice and helpful. The room was a good size and clean. The hot breakfast, however, wasn't hot and the sausage was microwaved. There was no variety in selection. The pancake maker, on the other-hand, was fun! Although the room was pleasing and clean upon arrival, I had to actually call down late afternoon( after 3PM) and ask for housekeeping. I am not sure why my room was continually skipped. But, when I called, I was received pleasantly and the room was attended to quickly! :-)

Room Tip: Any room away from the elevators and try the eighth floor...you get a little view of the airport.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Adam M, General Manager at Edward Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

SMiracle C,

Thank you very much for the feedback I truly do appreciate it! I am happy to hear that the staff was nice and helpful and was very quick to respond to any request you had. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the breakfast buffet. I can assure you that our hot items are not put into a microwave but a small oven that cooks them. I will follow up with my manager and see the process we have for putting the food out onto the buffet and see what areas we need improvement on to get the best possible product out there for the guest of the hotel. Thank you again for the feedback and I know staying by O’Hare that there are a lot of choices and am thankful you chose to stay with us.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

arrived in the evening..free shuttle bus 7 mins..first thoughts.."better than expected"checkin ..swift....staff courtious..not ostentatious..but serves its purpose..plenty of eateries in the locale..stay again..yes

• Stayed: August 2012

khoque67,

Thank you very much for the kind words we will be sure to share them with our staff at the hotel. Have a wonderful day and an even better week!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

A friend and I stayed in Rosemont to see System Of A Down at the Allstate Arena and we were very pleased with the experience. The tellers were very friendly and helpful! They said that check-out was at noon, but if we needed some more time, they said to just let them know.
The room was very clean and comfortable.
The only complaints I had were that the mini fridge didn't work, which didn't bother me, considering I was only staying there for a night, and the fact that the TV/On Demand was very glitchy and didn't want to work. But again, it didn't upset me.
I was very pleased with my stay at the Holiday Inn!
If I ever see a show at the Allstate Arena again, I know where I'm staying!

Room Tip: If you're under the age of 21, there will be one Holiday Inn of the two that will allow you to p...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Adam M, General Manager at Edward Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

CaptainDan21,

It is always nice to see positive comments regarding the hotel so for that thank you very much I really do appreciate it. I will be sure to share you comments with the staff and let them know to keep up the hard work. If there is anything I can do for you please do not hesitate to let me know. Have a wondeful rest of the week!!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

When traveling on business, one of my first choices is Holiday Inn Express because of the value, but this one is not one I will return to. Being a Platinum member I would think I would at least get free parking, but did not. The old televisions must have come out of the 90's and picture quality was terrible. So was the free breakfast. It also sits right at the end of one of the Chicago O’Hare runways and is very noisy. I guess they have no insulation. This is not your typical clean Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Izzy333,

Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it! I have a couple of questions regarding your review; first thing, we do not charge for parking at our hotel for overnight guest so I am confused on why you paid for parking. We used to charge for parking but stopped charging just over a year ago. Second, the hotel put all brand new 42 inch LG flat screen TV’s into all our rooms this past year so I am not sure how you would have had an old box TV. Lastly, the breakfast buffet is not more then two years old and was implemented by Holiday Inn and is the brand standard that almost all Holiday Inn Expresses have so I have a couple questions on how you think we can improve. If you could please contact me via phone at 847-544-7500 ext 7515 or through email at amiller@hieohare.com so I can look into the issues you stated. I am in the business to take care of our customers and I can ensure you when you contact me I will make it right for you regarding your last stay. Thank you once again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is an old converted Ramada with a new name and not a lot of updates. I have stayed there a few times and the hotel is terribly inconsistent. The best part is it is close to ORD so the shuttle is quick and easy. Shoeless Joe's is next door so late night food is available. This last stay may be the last given two problems. When checking in at 6:30 in the evening they had one desk clerk and 6 to 8 people waiting to check in. He was slow and it took about 35 minutes to check in. He was also trying to service guests buying food from the litle convenience area. The flow was terrible.

The next morning the breakfast was out but there was no person in sight to replenish it at 8:00 in the morning. While I got there early enough to eat there were a number of families with young children limited to a choice of cereal and a some bread and no butter in sight. In 45 minutes not a single person showed up to replenish the food and I know there were a lot of complaints.

The shuttle and location is great but if the service does not improve I will be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Adam M, General Manager at Edward Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Bill M,

Thank you very much for the feedback I really do appreciate it. I opened this hotel in 2006 and was here for 2 years and just came back a few weeks ago. I can assure you when we opened up this hotel that many renovations where done in regards to lobby, pool, fitness center, breakfast room, and guest rooms including HD LG flat screen TV’s. We always have two or 3 people on for every night shift because being a hotel in the O’Hare market means hotels can fill up in a blink of an eye depending on weather.

Since you did a review on Tripadvisor I can not see who you are so if you could please send me your information I can review why there was only one person on the desk at that time s well as see who was working the breakfast room the next day and make sure the necessary training is done with my staff.

Thank you once again for your feedback I really do appreciate and I can assure you that my hotel will continue working on improving our customer service and hopefully next time you stay with us you will see the improvement. Have a wonderful day!

amiller@hieohare.com