“A bit dissapointed in the overall service”

Edward Hotel Chicago
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My daughter was graduating from the Kaplan University and it seems that there were a few more events happening the weekend that we visited the area, therefore most of the hotels were booked and that’s how we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express, along with the fact that we'd stayed at a few in the past and pretty much knew what to expect. Well we were sadly mistaken. We arrived very late, or I should say very early at 2:30 a.m. The person at the desk was very professional with absolutely no personality in greeting guest. We were given our room and when we let ourselves in one of the things that I noticed is it felt a little stuffy, and the room felt a little small for a double, but it might have just been my imagination. In every Holiday Inn we stayed in the past, we usually had a refrigerator, well the space that usually housed the refrigerator was to my surprise empty, and because it was made for just that, it was useless for anything else. Not drawer space or anything. We had no luggage rack, at this point I started thinking that because we did not check in at the earlier time, we were put in a room that was more probably used as a last resort when all of the other rooms are taken. I noticed that one of the reviewers stated that they paid less than 100.00 per night, and had a much better experience and service than we, well we actually paid 125.00 per night. Anyway we got up for breakfast and noticed that the hotel was packed with guest in which I should’ve known because the gated parking lot was full and I had to park on a grassy area not meant for parking. which is an annoyance when one is going in and out, and have to have the front desk lift the gate each time. Any hew, when we went down for breakfast at 8:30 only 1 ½ hrs into the serving time, they were already out of a lot of what they had, (by the say, the selection was sparse) which included coffee, the pancake machine did not work and the selection of fruit was bananas and oranges only, sausage, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, cereal, hot cinnamon buns, and the hot foods were at best warm. I went back to my room to get ready for the graduation and noticed that we did not have enough towels. I used what we had and as I was leaving I saw the housekeeper with her cart out front. Since I was not going to be there I wanted her to know about the towels and wanted her to limit her cleaning to: the bathroom tidied up, fresh linen put on the bed, and to empty the trash cans, not to bother with vacuuming because we still had our bags on the floor, also I usually leave a tip so I left that with her also. Well we came back much later, absolutely nothing was done. There was no indication that a cleaning person had been there at all except the tip that I left was given back to me and left on the desk???? We were exhausted because of the long drive from Ohio and sleeping only 3 hrs at best, so I made a quick call to the front desk and was told they had no idea what happened with the cleaning and would get us towels, I asked for fresh linen and we would make the beds ourselves. Well it took 2 more calls and a trip to the front desk to get what I asked for, however they were as puzzled as I about the stunt with housekeeping, Oh another thing no one ever answered the telephone for housekeeping, and the phone for manager on duty. The breakfast was the same the next day, (same selection, and still no hot pancakes)we had trash now for 2 days, there were no trash bags in the cans so we had to improvise with store bags and had to resort to getting towels from the pool area. I believe the problem was, the hotel was packed with guest that would account for not enough breakfast put out fast enough, the front desk had to man the phones for housekeeping, and to be ready to open and close the gate for parking, and they had a wedding on that Saturday. We checked out on Sunday and could not find a dolly for our luggage, because a lot of guest were checking out at the same time, the babies took their own bags out, I did as I always do, left a tip for housekeeping (not as much), and left never to return to that particular hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Adam M, General Manager at Edward Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Sheleneb,

Thank you very much for the feedback for the only way we can improve is for guest like you letting us know. First off, I would like to apologize about the inconvenience you had while staying at my hotel. I would love to take care of this situation for you and to make it right but when you post a review on Tripadvisor I can not see who you are in my system since it does not give me your name. If you can please contact me personally via email or phone that would be great so I can resolve this issue within my hotel as well as for you. My phone number is 847-544-7500 ext. 7515 or you can email me at amiller@hieohare.com. Thanks once again and I am truly sorry for that experience you had.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed here last weekend while seeing our friend off from O'Hare. The price was significantly cheaper (we paid less than $100 a night) than the nearby hotels, plus this hotel has free parking. The room was clean with a fridge, microwave, and very large TV. Beds and bedding were good, there was a large selection at the complimentary breakfast - fresh-made pancakes, cheese omelet, sausage, biscuits and gravy, as well as the normal cold selections. There is also a good assortment of nearby restaurants - Steak and Shake, Chipotle, Giordano's Pizza, McDonald's, etc. Also a Target with a full grocery section if you forget anything from home.

On Saturday we used the free shuttle to O'Hare so that we could take the blue line downtown - very convenient. Would definitely stay here again if I needed a place to stay close to Chicago and didn't want to pay downtown prices or for parking.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Adam M, General Manager at Edward Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

laura2000mi,

Thank you very much for the kind words I truly do appreciate it. I will share your feedback with the staff! Have a wonderful week!!!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I've attended meetings at this hotel, and recently stayed there after a late flight into O'Hare. The proximity to O'Hare and the easy shuttle service cannot be beat. The hotel is sparkling clean. Beds are comfortable and linens are high quality. There is airplane noise from one of the O'Hare runways, but it didn't bother us at all; the flights come and go so regularly, it's almost like listening to waves at the beach. There is no restaurant on site, but there is a nice selection of restaurants just up the street a few blocks. This place is an excellent value.

freqflyer67,

Reviewed July 25, 2012

My family and and I stayed here the past weekend for our family reunion. The entire staff gave us impeccable customer service. Everyone was polite and extremely helpful. The rooms and the entire facility was way beyond clean. I give an "extra kudos shout" out to Audrey and Coco.
To Coco for taking my numerous phone calls and accommodating my family's every need. To Audrey for always having a welcome and happy smile the numerous times I called or came to the front desk and providing me with excellent customer service. The complimentary breakfast was on point.

byoung4760,

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I had an over all great experience. We were experiencing a little problems in the beginning with our room keys but Audrey explained to us what was going on and Mr. Adam the GM walked me up to my room to be sure that the keys were working. Great team work!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Paul P,

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed one night on our way back to SFO. Easy access to O'Hare. Very easy to print boarding passes. Parking uncomplicated. Room was very quiet and clean. A/C was on when we arrived which was great since it was 106 outside. And breakfast was one of the best we have had in a long time-nice variety and large seating area. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

CAtortoise,

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here overnight for a quick trip to Chicago. I was short on time and in researching could not easily find a reasonable Chicago hotel with parking, as we were driving up. Staying by the airport puts you out a bit, but this hotel was clean and inexpensive and parking and breakfast were free. Check- in was quick and easy. The lobby area is lovely and our room was tidy and clean. The bathroom was very small but it was clean and the beds were very comfortable. Despite proximity to airport the room was very quiet. The breakfast here is great, much nicer than in most overnight hotels, with cinnamon rolls and eggs and all sorts of cereals and pastries. I got a $99 rate and it took us about a half hour the next morning to get over to the museum area of the city. This worked for us and I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Great affordable choice for access to fabulous Chicago