“Still thinking of my meal...”

Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 87 Restaurants in Rosemont
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Williams
Transit: Blue Line CTA
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I was staying in an adjacent hotel for a business meeting and a group of us headed over for an early dinner. I'd called earlier in the day to make a reservation just in case they would be busy.

On a Thursday at 6:00 they were indeed busy. No wait, but it was tricky to maneuver through the dining room around tables to get to our table. The waiter brought us menus and the display tray of their various cuts of steak (H-U-G-E) and lobster (biggest I've seen). The service was good throughout our meal. He even allowed us to do separate checks, which I know servers despise, and his pleasant demeanor remained.

As we were small ladies on per diem, we weren't looking to splurge or gorge ourselves and we didn't have to. I'm not sure what menu the other person a few reviews down was looking at, but there were certainly options for people who didn't want to spend too much money. Large salads, sandwiches, local fare, etc.

I decided to opt for the shrimp bisque and the sliders. I am an avowed steak lover, so I was a little uncertain whether I would like filet medallions in between small buttered buns (<$15). But it was sooooo good. I'm still thinking about it. High quality meat (you just bite right into it) and delicious seasoning. Everyone else at my table enjoyed their entrees as well (we all got filet of some sort). My entree came with fries as a side, and eh. They were ok; I'm not really a fries person. But I didn't need them anyway as I was full from my other food.

I certainly don't mind spending a good bit on a great meal, but other reviews have already proven Gibsons satisfies this option for diners. I wanted to add my review to show that you can also have good food here even if you don't want to spend an exorbitant amount.

2  Thank SunnyInCleveland
Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed April 17, 2008

I ate lunch at Gibson's today and was disappointed. When I walked in, I had to wait while the hostess chatted with a couple of women ahead of me in line who were obviously old friends. After she seated them, she came back and then noticed an older gentleman coming out of the restaurant past the hostess stand, and she had to give him a hug and commiserate at some length about shared medical concerns. Then when he went on his way, another gentleman came along behind him and got the same treatment. This went on for some time while I stood there feeling kind of like an idiot. I don't mind that she needed to give some special attention to people who were obviously friends and old customers, but some acknowledgment of my existence and maybe an "I'll be with you in just a moment" would have been nice.

I was then shown to a crappy table near the kitchen. Everyone knows you shouldn't take the first table offered you and I probably should have asked for a better one (there were quite a few open), but I wasn't up to it.

My waiter was efficient but gave me the impression that he didn't really want to be my waiter. (Honestly, I had freshly showered.) I ordered a ribeye sandwich on ciabatta (cooked medium well) and a Diet Coke. The first indication that I was in for a mediocre food experience was when my Diet Coke came in a ten-ounce bottle with a highball glass. Oh, great. The waiter did pour it for me, and poured out the rest over the course of the meal when he noticed my glass was running low. (Which happened very slowly, since I only had 10 ounces to work with and needed to conserve.)

The table bread was excellent -- three different kinds: sourdough, multigrain, some kind of raisin bread.

The sandwich was served with french fries, which were almost shoestring-sized and very good. The sandwich was okay. The ciabatta bread had been grilled, which is always the right choice, but it was a bit burned. The steak, on the other hand, was undercooked. It was also pretty fatty, but that's ribeye for you. The flavor was good.

Like everyone else has said, the place is loud and Chicago-y. Overall it would have been a fine experience if the service had been just a little bit more gracious and if my order had been honored. Maybe it was just an off day, but if so, it was quite a coincidence -- an off day for the hostess, the waiter, and maybe the cook (depending on whether the waiter transmitted my order correctly). If I stay at the Doubletree again, I'll probably walk a mile down the road to Denny's for lunch. Work off some of that ribeye fat.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Norridge. IL
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Great steaks, so I've herd. I go for the Martinies

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed October 5, 2007

The overall experience at Gibson's is second to none. Great service, great drinks, and best of all great food. Their steaks are just fantastic. I have been there many times and never had anything less than a superb meal. Their signature WR cut steak is my favorite. A bone-in ribeye that is steak perfection. I have tried all of the cuts, they are all excellent, but the WR is my favorite. I just can't order anything else when I go there. They also have the best lobster I have had. Perfectly cooked. Sometimes we order one for the table. They are huge.
All of the sides are big, so sharing is a must. Their great service staff will let you know how much to order. They are professional and efficient which is most important to me.
For desert, the turtle pie is so good it should be illegal. Macadamia nuts, ice cream, chocolate sauce and an unbelievably buttery crust. It is large enough to feed six easily. If it is just me and the wife dining, the waiter will make up a smaller one. That and a cup of their coffee is the perfect ending.
I have been to all of the top steak houses in Chicago and while Chicago has quite a few gems, this is right at the top. I always bring out of town guests there and each and every one of them have raved about it. Try it for the ultimate Chicago steak house experience.

Reviewed April 5, 2007

if you seek a quiet dinner- skip Gibsons. If you want a loud, great chicago style steakhouse experience, this is it. the place is hustling and bustling. Service was good, seemed a little rushed but not rude. very quick to refill water and clear plates.

sliced sirloin with red wine sauce was wonderful. goat cheese w/
tomatoes was a mound of goat cheese that must've taken 3 goats to make.

the steaks were great, the portions typical steakhouse enormous and the value was good for the portion size. the desserts are ENORMOUS- be warned. split them with 2 people.

fun, loud, good food.

Been to Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse? Share your experiences!