“Nothing to brag about”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nothing to brag about”
Reviewed April 29, 2007

First of all, do not plan to drive and park at this hotel without expecting to pay $17 per day! Right now, end of April 2007, the front entrance is under construction. You cannot pull a car anywhere near the temporary front entrance as it is blocked off. There is no parking on the street either, other than a few handicapped spaces across the street from the entrance. So ... you have to have someone stay with the car while you trek (w/luggage) up to the front entrance to check in, or you have to park & pay $17. Guests do have in-and-out parking privileges, though. (We were turning in a rental car at OHare and so we were going to be without wheels for the night.) The shuttle to and from the airport was convenient, and free.
The hotel itself is verrrrrry spread out. You will do some walking, even from the parking lot. You walk across the distance to get to the front desk, then if your room is on the other side of the property, you will have to walk all the way back again. The layout inside is terrible. We were in the executive area, but it was impossible to find the bank of elevators without having to ask two staff members along the way. No clear signs!
If you are walking, there is nowhere near the hotel to eat. Just the restaurant on site or in one of the other hotels nearby. In order to get to the "El" you have to walk a good half mile or so. So be prepared. If you are in relatively good shape, it's not bad and it's certainly a cheaper way to stay then in the Loop. However, the "el" ride into downtown Chicago takes about 30-40 minutes.
The room itself was fine - clean, large and comfortable. But I don't think it made up for the horrible logistics w/parking and all the construction. Nor the fact that there is nowhere within walking distance to eat. I'd stay somewhere else if I could do it again ... even some of the "lower star" properties anywhere n the O'Hare area would have been a better choice. At least they have free parking!

• Liked — Nice rooms, great beds
  • Disliked — Pay to park and horrible location for anyone on foot
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TwoTravelersToG... A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed April 28, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights in April for a conference that was held at the hotel itself. The hotel is in Rosemont, which is one subway stop from O'hare international airport. There is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

Check in was painless--there are plenty of staff to help. The room is what you expect from Hyatt-- Very comfortable mattress and comforter, and quite large. The exercise facilities on the first floor are top rate.

Unfortunately, there are several drawbacks to this hotel:

1) For an airport hotel, frequented by business travelers, one would expect free wireless internet, which was not the case. I believe this was $10.

2) There really is nothing to do in Rosemont. Most of the action is in downtown Chicago. To get there, you can walk to the metro station (10 minute walk), and take the train in (about 35-40 minute ride for $2 each way), or take a cab. It felt safe to walk from the hotel to the metro station. We used the metro both days we were there to get dinner downtown.

3) Given that there aren't any drug stores or convenience stores nearby, it would have been nice to have a larger, better stocked convenience store in the hotel lobby to choose from.

4) The restaurants in the hotel are extremely expensive, and overpriced.

All things considered, this was an average hotel, which could have had more amneties for the business travel.

• Liked — Proximity to the airport
  • Disliked — Distance from downtown Chicago
5 Thank gvr001
Reviewed April 23, 2007

This place is so sterile. I felt like I was at the mall. I wish I would have taken pictures but did not. It appeared that the renovations were not quite finished but the main restaurant was closed. There was something of a buffet on another floor where we were able to get fried chicken and soda in cans for $15 each... There was also a small store which sold snack items. We stayed here one night before flying out the next day. There was a huge convention of church kids there for quizzing (I think). They didn't cause much noise or anything like that, there were just a whole lot of them. Waiting for an elevator was 5-10 min each time. On a positive not, we had no problems with parking or the airport shuttle. It was very convenient. Thank goodness we stayed here free.

• Liked — Shuttle service was convenient - no complaints
  • Disliked — Too much of convention center to feel warm and inviting... Elevators are horrible!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank kereng
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed April 15, 2007

We stayed here twice in April. The first stay was nice, good beds, a nice bathroom, everything was neat and clean. The only big complaint I have concerns the minibar. Not only do they have a fridge stocked with heavily overpriced items ($5 for a 8oz bottle of water), but they also have several items displayed on top of teh sideboard, taking up valuable space. Worst of all, these items are on sensors as well, so when I accidently knocked over the aforementioned botle of water while I was trying to find my way to the bathroom at night, my room bill was automatically charged and the next day it caused a major argument upon checkout until this charge was finally dropped.

The second stay was horrible though. Ou flights were cancelled and we didn't arrive until after midnight. Since we had a guaranteed reservation, we didn't worry much about it and were rather surprised to find that the hotel had given away all King size rooms. In fact all rooms were gone, even the suites. So they put us in a room with two rollaway beds. Those things were absolutely terrible to sleep on, even after I removed the plastic mug that some idiot had stuffed under my mattress and that put a nice kink into my spine. Also, there was no desk or any other table in the room. They did however make sure that some of the already scarse space was used up by a dreded minibar. You could clearly tell that tis used to be (part of) a former conference room. The fluorescent lights were still on the ceiling and the wall came with a whiteboard (complete with eraser; no markers though). We had to contact the front desk to even get some decent pilows and the blankets were pretty much nonexistent.

Had I not been so tired and had we not had a hard day ahead of us, I might have still tried to enjoy reminiscing about my college days - the comfort of this room was very dorm-like. Of course in the dornms I paid per semester what the Hyatt charges per night.

Over all, you can get lucky with this hotel, or you can be very unlucky. As I said, they have good rooms and bad rooms and they will surpirse you with one of them. Do NOT pay the regular rate! If you get it through Priceline for cheap (less than 60$), it is an OK place to be.

Positive notes: Very reliable shuttle service that runs more frequently than most other hotels, generally friendly staff and a very good location near the Rosemont station.

• Liked — Shuttle Service
  • Disliked — Gave away my guaranteed room, put me in a rollaway somewhere.
2 Thank I94
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 6, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at many Hyatts, and this property was a BIG disappointment. The lobby and elevator areas were filthy, dirty room service trays littered the hallways, and the walls were so thin we could hear conversations of rooms around us as clearly as if they had been in our room!!

What is more, this hotel has a very disappointing range of amenities and ridiculous prices on room service ($3.00 for a can of Pepsi!! Not Joke!). The Concierge desk was well hidden and when we asked for services of a concierge, we were directed to call their "Perfect Stay" line which consisted of surly, unhelpful staff!!

If we stay in the O'Hare area of Chicago again, we will avoid this Hyatt at all costs.

• Liked — Comfortable Bed.
  • Disliked — Surly, Unhelpful Staff, Loud and Dirty!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CitaPita
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 6, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights for a conference that was held at the hotel.

Check in was okay, but they had no "normal" rooms left, so they put me in a room with just a rollaway, I think it was the center part of a suite. I got a $30 voucher for room service because of it, but it still seemed odd that they didn't have any king rooms left - I know several people this happened to. I was moved to a king room the next day.

The room was clean and made up nicely every day. The bathroom was VERY small - the shower especially was so small that you couldn't even move around.

The minibar and snacks were very overpriced - $4.25 for a kit kat for example. Don't move anything in the minibar or you might be charged for it.

The bar and restaurant were still under construction, but looked like they would be nice. Everything in the hotel is overpriced - including the little convenience store ($3 for a soda). Try to go elsewhere to get anything you need. The conference I was at provided coffee and water and most meals, which was good because I didn't have to buy any of the food at the hotel.

The conference facilities were nice - a ton of rooms to use, water was refilled at lunch time in the rooms.

Overall, it was a fine hotel - nothing special, but nothing THAT bad except that everything was overpriced. I paid only $90 a night which was a good deal, but I wouldn't pay the normal rate to stay here.

1 Thank MXErin
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 18, 2007

I'd give this hotel a big thumbs down. They are remodeling and not ready for business. Main restaurant not open. Bar not open. Secondary
restaurant has a great view, cafeteria-quality furniture, plain overpriced food. Room very small but comfortable for one person. Room smelled, I guess due to their ginger soap. Thin floors - could hear couple in room below me talking about the $4 water. Airport shuttle great. Room service extremely slow - 90 minutes for dinner for one. Shipping department lost my stuff and then charged me outrageous holding/delivery fees. Catering brought our food three hours early. Hotel management completely incompetent and not willing to work with the customer. I hope I never have to use this hotel again.

Stayed March 2007