“Big Disappointment”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at many Hyatts, and this property was a BIG disappointment. The lobby and elevator areas were filthy, dirty room service trays littered the hallways, and the walls were so thin we could hear conversations of rooms around us as clearly as if they had been in our room!!

What is more, this hotel has a very disappointing range of amenities and ridiculous prices on room service ($3.00 for a can of Pepsi!! Not Joke!). The Concierge desk was well hidden and when we asked for services of a concierge, we were directed to call their "Perfect Stay" line which consisted of surly, unhelpful staff!!

If we stay in the O'Hare area of Chicago again, we will avoid this Hyatt at all costs.

• Liked — Comfortable Bed.
  • Disliked — Surly, Unhelpful Staff, Loud and Dirty!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CitaPita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights for a conference that was held at the hotel.

Check in was okay, but they had no "normal" rooms left, so they put me in a room with just a rollaway, I think it was the center part of a suite. I got a $30 voucher for room service because of it, but it still seemed odd that they didn't have any king rooms left - I know several people this happened to. I was moved to a king room the next day.

The room was clean and made up nicely every day. The bathroom was VERY small - the shower especially was so small that you couldn't even move around.

The minibar and snacks were very overpriced - $4.25 for a kit kat for example. Don't move anything in the minibar or you might be charged for it.

The bar and restaurant were still under construction, but looked like they would be nice. Everything in the hotel is overpriced - including the little convenience store ($3 for a soda). Try to go elsewhere to get anything you need. The conference I was at provided coffee and water and most meals, which was good because I didn't have to buy any of the food at the hotel.

The conference facilities were nice - a ton of rooms to use, water was refilled at lunch time in the rooms.

Overall, it was a fine hotel - nothing special, but nothing THAT bad except that everything was overpriced. I paid only $90 a night which was a good deal, but I wouldn't pay the normal rate to stay here.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank MXErin
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

I'd give this hotel a big thumbs down. They are remodeling and not ready for business. Main restaurant not open. Bar not open. Secondary
restaurant has a great view, cafeteria-quality furniture, plain overpriced food. Room very small but comfortable for one person. Room smelled, I guess due to their ginger soap. Thin floors - could hear couple in room below me talking about the $4 water. Airport shuttle great. Room service extremely slow - 90 minutes for dinner for one. Shipping department lost my stuff and then charged me outrageous holding/delivery fees. Catering brought our food three hours early. Hotel management completely incompetent and not willing to work with the customer. I hope I never have to use this hotel again.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank Mollita
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2007

The Hyatt O'Hare is under construction, thus creating a problem of noise and the facilities not being up to stuff during this process. From what I can see, this will continue for several more months. The construction is in the lower and upper level lobby area.

The staff is doing all that they can to please in the meantime. The room I had was quite attractive and had been recently remodeled, including granite in the bathroom. However, the room is not well insulated from airplane jets, which I can vouch for having stayed at many airport hotels. So bring a sound machine.

They do have an excellent fitness facility however, and are within easy access to the airport and major highways. It is pricey however, with charges for parking (15$ a night ) being excessive and the mini-bar having Miller Lite for $7 a can!

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank MetMan
Parksville, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

As an experienced traveller this shrine to cement and architecture (that prevents the hotel from being user-friendly) ranks as an outstanding place not to stay. First of all it's one hour away by train to downtown Chicago. The king size bedrooms are "cosy" which is hotelspeak for tiny. The bathrooms even smaller and the price - in one word - enormous -$125 per night. Try to avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The remoteness - from the world.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Kapulanikai
Student in Madison, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2007

I had the opportunity to stay at the Hyatt Regency O'hare courtesy of United Airlines. I stayed for only one night. The room was modern, clean, and comfortable - as expected with a Hyatt Regency. As I had not planned on staying at a hotel that night, I enjoyed the using the toiletries and comfortable robe. Although there appeared to be some sort of Beatles fanclub convention going on, the business tower of the hotel (where my room was located) was quiet. I especially appreciated taking the free shuttle to the airport in the morning.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank wemberly
ND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2006

I needed a room in the O'Hare area for 3 nights and Priceline placed me in this hotel for $58/night. I did quite a bit of research prior to placing my bid and knew there was a very good chance that I'd be place at the Hyatt O'Hare. I was happy with my stay. We had a room in the northeast tower on the 11th floor. The elevator only went to the 10th floor so we had to take the stairs to our room. We checked in early at 1PM and were given the option to wait for a room that didn't need stair access. Stairs aren't that big of deal to me so I took the room. If I ever need a room in the O'Hare area I will be happy if Priceline places me in the Hyatt Regency again. It's not a place that I'd stay if I had kids or was on a family vacation but this Hyatt served it's purpose well.

Likes:
- Extremely comfy bed
- Easy to access hotel from Interstate
- The glass elevators were very fast
- Staff was very helpful
- Contrary to some other posts, our room was quiet
- Covered parking garage access was close to lobby

Dislikes:
- $17/night parking (although I knew about that prior to placing my bid)
- No free internet (again I knew about that prior to bidding)
- The lobby wasn't the most beautiful but then again, I didn't spend much time there
- Mini bar was on a sensor and I was paranoid that I'd knock off an item and be charged for it

• Liked — The bed was awesome
  • Disliked — $17/night parking
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business