“Tried to make work while hitting Chicago...”

Hyatt Regency O'Hare
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Tried to make work while hitting Chicago attractions. As blue line takes into down town. was much less than many downtown hotels and nicer than most in area. Great breakfast buffet for fee. I highly recommend French toast is awesome. Great rooms lobby I atrium and awesome entrance. Would reccomend if can handle train ride or if overnight at ohare.

1  Thank RJ24R2
Write a ReviewReviews (3,139)

Reviewed June 29, 2010

I'd seen this hotel rated 4 out of 4 stars on other sites. It's impressive, but I think that's about a half star too many. The glitzy exterior and eye-catching atrium make a terrific first impression. Then you ride a glass elevator to your room and see that it overlooks the spacious lobby/restaurant/atrium - nice! In the good-size room, you see the big LCD flat screen TV and a zillion pillows on the beds and all is well. But after that, a little of the shiny surface wears off. The bathroom is surprisingly plain: nothing wrong, but nothing special about either the facilities or the amenities. The big TV doesn't deliver any HD - every channel has the low quality, stretched standard definition picture. The beds are comfortable but you hear some noise from other rooms and the occasional plane. Wifi is $10, always an unwelcome profit-grab. The room service menu is more expensive than most, with a 22% service charge on top. I took 2 airport shuttle rides - one was a long 20 minute wait, the other was much quicker. The subway is a 7-8 minute walk away, and a 40 minute ride to downtown. Complete flight information is displayed in the lobby and you can print your boarding pass. In short, a great place to stay before a morning flight, but this Hyatt doesn't quite live up to a top star rating.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarkLBoston
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Pros:
Great modern design
Close to cta train stop
Beautiful lobby and conference area
Comfortable beds

Cons:
$10/day for wifi!!
Small rooms
Cramped shower
No mini fridge or microwave
Noisy(close to airport)
Expensive to drink at the bar

1  Thank dexterperry
Reviewed June 25, 2010

My stay at the Hyatt was fine. The room was comfortable. Room service couldn't seem to get anything right and any time I walked by the front desk there was a line 20 people long for check-in or check-out. It appears you can check in online and then go through these self-serve kiosks, but only on the day of your arrival, so that assumes you're not on the road or in customer meetings that day and you've got internet service. As far as I know internet's not free in the lobby so it's not like you can just pull out your comp when you get there.

But it was all tolerable, even the $10 fee I was charged for them to deliver a package to my room (of course there was no mention of this fee when they offered to bring it up and I don't remember signing a slip agreeing to it, but it was morning... and work was paying).

My main irritation happened after I left the hotel. About 15 mins after check-out I realized I had left my iPod in the room's alarm-iPod-radio (an alarm/radio with an iPod dock). I called the front desk within a half hr of having checked out and was transferred to housekeeping. I told housekeeping exactly where it was. A lady promised to send someone up there and call me back, then promptly hung up on me. And that's the last I heard of my iPod.

Of course I called back, many times. The case was transferred to security, who told me maybe it was in my luggage, and that my door wasn't locked, and that their staff is honest. Honest, perhaps, but not around my iPod Touch. And there were excuses. At first they were telling me their staff went in there within 15 mins of my call. When that became incriminating, all of a sudden they started saying their staff didn't actually go in until an hr and 15 mins after my call (logs are off by an hour?) and that my door had been unlocked that whole time and maybe someone went in.

My room was on the 10th floor, about as far from an elevator as you could get. I didn't notice the iPod when I scanned the room before I left. The only reasonable way someone would know to get it is if they had been told (by me?) exactly where it was.

So in retrospect I should have gone back to the room instead of telling housekeeping about it, but the Hyatt staff transferred me to Housekeeping and still claims their cleaning staff is honest. I also gave my address to Security who was going to file a claim about it, and still haven't heard anything.

So, stay here if you want to pay through the nose for things and wait in line. The rooms ARE comfortable. Just DON'T leave ANYTHING valuable behind.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Nitzy
Reviewed June 23, 2010

The hotel is excellent. Park and stay with your car in a secured and covered garage.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Imagine my surprise when I booked a room at this hotel for $45 on Priceline, when rooms normally go for $209 online. So I thought, “Will this hotel have some major flaw?” Reviews on my trusted Tripadvisor varied. So naturally I was nervous as I pulled up to the front door. We’re frugal travelers, so we opted to self-park and take our luggage to the room ourselves (we traveled with carry-on only). Parking was $18/night, which I suspect is the going rate in this area of high-end hotels clustered around a convention center. The Hyatt Regency is a big square box with round glass turrets on each corner—a modern castle. The open, atrium-style lobby has lots of dramatic wow-factor (which is to be expected at a Hyatt Regency). We were given the choice of one or two beds by the friendly check-in desk attendant. As she was finishing up with us, she came out from behind the desk to give us our keys and her name, telling us to call her specifically if we had any needs (more on this surprising practice later).
Our room (number 342) was on the third floor, which is actually the first floor of guest rooms (lobby is 2nd floor, and meeting rooms on first). A cluster of 4 glass elevators in the middle of the lobby lifts guests to spoke-like bridges at each level. The room was decorated in earth tones and gold—tasteful enough, but without the wow-factor characteristic of the hotel’s public spaces. Flat-screen TV, textured carpet, and hip, modern furniture were nice touches. A small refrigerator served as an “honor bar.” (I wish upscale hotels would leave some empty space in the fridge for cooling personal items.) We had a nice balcony overlooking a blah view of a roof, but our expectations were tempered by the great deal we got. The bathroom, equipped with Portico bath products, was finished with very nice tile. I’m always surprised when upscale hotel bathrooms have no fan. I made do with the hair dryer to clear the steam off of the mirror.
The fitness center was well equipped with a number of treadmills, bikes, machines, and freeweights.
I do not understand reviewers’ complaints of airport noise—we heard none of that. The noise we did notice, though, came from the open lobby. We could hear celebratory group-shouting presumably from the lobby bar up until about midnight. The cavernous lobby, while dramatically impressive, serves as an echo-chamber to magnify whatever sound is made there. Management would be wise to provide sound-deadening room doors, enclosed bar areas, or a curfew for noisy revelers (and enforce it seriously). We were so tired after flights that we slept in spite of the noise, but it could be a big issue for some guests.
While checking out, another desk clerk came out from behind the desk. It must be a Hyatt policy and practice, and even though it’s a little surprising at first, I feel that it communicates a good human connection rather than just robotic service. My fears at the beginning were unfounded--we were pleased with the Hyatt Regency.
One money-saving tip: You can find good food at a reasonable price at the nearby Pancakes Eggcetera restaurant (see my separate review).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2010

This is a recently renovated property that is very convenient to O'Hare and the blue line if you want to head into the city. On the other hand, there isn't much to walk to around this area and you may be stuck dining at higher priced options unless you take the train elsewhere.

Pros:
-Very convenient to O'Hare and Chicago
-Modern rooms, nicely decorated and good bathroom
-Comfortable bed
-Affordable at a priceline rate
-Popular upscale lounge in hotel
-Very nice fitness cener

Cons:
-Large impersonal chain hotel
-Paying for extras (internet, parking, etc.)
-Small room
-Somewhat noisy
-Not much to walk to in area (other than a few pricey dining options)
-No info in room regarding dining menu, property or area map, etc.

I would definitely recommend staying here especially if you don't have a vehicle. The property's location allows one flexibility to quickly be in the city or airport (via train or free shuttle) and stay at a high quality facility.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo