“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2005

I'm pretty disappointed with the Hyatt Rosemont. I found hair and stains on one of the bed's sheets when I first arrived, and this morning I specifically asked the housekeeper to change the sheets on both beds, which she didn't do. The receptionist didn't even offer an apology for this, just sent up sheets for me to change the bed myself. The housekeeper also left the window open, although the temperature outside is about 15 degrees.

Moreover, the wireless internet access isn't free like at most hotels. They charge $9.95 per day. So for the week that's $70. When I checked in, the receptionist was superficially friendly to begin with but then joked with his colleagues about my comment that most hotels have free wireless. The workout room is also very disappointing -- most hotel exercise rooms are small, but this one doesn't even have a weight machine, only treadmills and bikes.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2005

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel, I was concerned. Since I was in Chicago for the weekend, I decided to try this hotel out for a 3 night deal. Not surprisingly, several of the claims found on previous reviews for this hotel I found to be blatantly inaccurate.

Firstly, check in was fine. If you don't wish to wait in line to check in, the hotel has several kiosks designed for checking in/out of the property. Though I didn't use the kiosks for check in, I did for check out. They were in good working order and the experience was seamless. Took less than 2 minutes to check out.

Secondly, contrary to a particular review, this hotel does has a bath tub/shower combo in their bathrooms. Of course, the bathtub isn't large...but what do you expect for a 1,000+ room airport hotel?

Thirdly, I didn't experience any mold/mildew with respect to the hotel A/C-Heating system. Neither did I smell mildew with the sheets. Additionally, the bedding was more than adequate and the staff was just fine. I was given an room on the 7th floor w/a balcony and I enjoyed it.

The swimming pool was fine. I found it to be a nice set up. True kids like to swim & run around a swimming pool area. If you want peace of mind, as a seasoned traveller; utilize the swimming pool after scheduled check out. Most of the kids are gone. And oftentimes, using this approach, you have the pool to yourself.

Overall, I would give my experience at this hotel a 8.5/10. It was convenient to the CTA Blue Line to downtown. The shuttle to/from O'Hare is a 24/7 shuttle. Every 15mins from 5am-Midnight, on request after Midnight, CST. The prices at the sports bar, Knuckles was reasonable. About as much as most bars in downtown Chicago....$6 for a Rum/Coke, $4.50 for a 12oz Goose Island. $9 for a 1/2 pound cheeseburger w/Fries. Standard Fare for a hotel bar. Just a piece of advice. Whenever you order room service, there will always be a delivery charge, 15+% tax and in some cases, a required gratuity. You can save yourself in upwards of 25-30% by simply going downstairs to the bar/restaurant yourself. Room service is a privilege & NOT a right. It something that's frankly, not cheap. If you find yourself scoffing at the cost of room service, don't order it.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2005

Good : Close to Airport with free shuttle service. Close to downtown train (walking distance). Nice indoor pool/gym.

BAD:
FUNGUS-Mold in AC!!! OLD A/C controls in rooms, Noisy AC, waking us up in the middle of the night. POOR ventilation,
Few & poor directions/signs, confusing getting to my room.
EXPENSIVE prices both room service & at restaurant, added a 'delivery' charge to room service in addition to the hefty tax! $4 for bottle water! give me a break!
Surrounding area dark at night for walking, taxis are expensive, nothing in the vicinity to eat/shop.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sidcup, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2005

Seemed to be a good hotel if you are in transit through Chicago, or if attending a convention or conference. Room was clean and tidy, with a comfortable bed. Bathroom had a shower only, which suits me but might be a consideration for others. Local area has nothing to recommend it. I only stayed two nights and was business throughout. I wouldn't have liked to killed any time whilst there.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew G
wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2005

I thought the Hotel was very pretty and well laid out. The glass elevators for my children were fantastic. The room was of a decent size as well as the bathroom. The pizza was awful (19.95 for a 12" cheese airport type of pizza), oh I'm sorry it was 14.00 but by the time the added their taxes and delivery fee (to ride up to the 4th floor) it was 19.95. The bed was extremly comfortable but had a mildewy smell to both the blankets and the extra pillows that were in the closet. What I found to be insulting is that you pay to stay at a hotel and then have to pay for parking. We stayed there because my children where coming in on a very late flight. My husband had to leave at 5am and go to work and then the children and I left later, little did we know we had to pay for parking. It cost my husbad $15.00 and me $17.00 (a discount from the $20.00 it would have been if we had not been guests) I relized my tire was nearly flat when I went to leave and asked the front desk clerk if someone from maintence might be able to put a little air in it for me. She replied that if I could make it to the gas station I could get air there. DUH!!! I then asked the clerk upon check out the fastest way to get back to 294 north, and he gave me the wrong directions. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again!!!

4 Thank tlelkin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2005

This hotel has gotten mixed reviews which made me a little skeptical going into the whole experience.

Location is great, ideally situated for an El train ride directly downtown with easy access to Wrigley and Soldier and many other Chicago hotspots. There is an airport shuttle and the same El goes to O'Hare.

The room was nice. Good sized room with a work space and a balcony. We were not in one of the 'corner' rooms which do not have balconies. The interior is somewhat drab and can be loud if many guests are in the lobby. We did not hear a plane landing the whole time we stayed there and we were on the 7th of about 13? floors. They do fly right over on occasion.

Parking was odd - we thought it was $17 per night but they only ended up charging us $3 per night. I have no idea why, or what the actual rate should be.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2005

The booking agents lie. I called 2 different times and spoke to 2 different reservation agents about when I had to pay for my room. Both said, not until I check in. It's still a month BEFORE my reservation and guess what, they debited my bank account... which caused my account to be overdrawn (an $80 fee that they also won't return). I called and talked to a manager and their policy is "the customer is always wrong and we're always right." They wouldn't take care of the problem because "that's always been their policy and I should have known better"... except this was my FIRST time booking with them. I verified when I had to pay once when I booked the room, and 2 times after that.... and somehow, I'm still the one that is wrong.
They lie and are uncooperative. I canceled my reservation. Me and my other friends that had booked a room there will be taking our business elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2005