“Good location by O'Hare”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport - Rosemont
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
Marina del Rey, California
“Good location by O'Hare”
Reviewed May 30, 2010

The rooms are only so-so here. Both times I have stayed at this property I had rooms that were oriented at a 90 degree angle from most hotels. In other words, the room is deeper than wide, and the bed looks out the window. Not a big deal but I didn't sleep that well here. Otherwise, it's clean, has a free airport shuttle and some nice restaurants.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
ESDTMGR, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport - Rosemont, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Dear Fitch7600:
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It was great to see that you were a repeat guest. You are correct that our spacious rooms are longer than wider. Our King Bed rooms do have a bed that faces the window and accommodate a pull out sofabed as well, while our 2 double bed rooms face the wall and our new flat screen TV in each room.

Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to you visiting us in the future.

Director of Revenue Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I got this place for a deal on priceline, but had I known I would have paid a few bucks more and stayed anywhere else. Parking is a pain and you need to check in and leave your car before you can park in the lot and use your key to access the hotel - incovenient for a single traveler. They put me in a room right across from the parking lot and the curtains didn't even cover the windows! They were those fake curtains that couldn't be pulled all the way across. So you can see in my room and all night the bright neon lights of the parking lot were shinning in. The walls were so thin I could hear my rude, drunk neighbors all night long partying. Even after they were told to keep it down it was as if they were in the same room cause I could hear every single word they were saying, even when they were speaking normally and not screaming the words to "Love Stinks." Overall, a miserable experience, and I had to go to an important interview the next day completely sleep deprived. I do not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear Srtorg:
Thank you for your comments about your experience at the Doubletree O'Hare. When a guest has a negative experience, we review the comments with our staff and management.

Our parking garage is owned and managed by the Village of Rosemont. We have guest room key only access from one level of the parking garage for convenience for our guests. We encourage guests to check in first and then park so that guests do not get to this accessway and find themselves locked out of the hotel.

Thank you again for you review. We take these comments very seriously and discuss them with our staff to make our guests' experience better. We hope that you will come back and try the Doubletree the next time you travel to O'Hare.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Spent a week at Doubletree Rosemont hotel (Hilton) 10 minutes max by taxi to O'hare airport. Standard business hotel. Breakfast costs around 10-13USD depending what you eat in the buffet. My room was on special business floor so there was coffee, fruits, juice and bakeries available for free there too. There is a pub next to the hotel (Gibson's) . Probably 30 min by car to Chicago city center. 5 minutes walks to subway - I guess it takes like 40 min to reach city center (direct line). As it is very close to the airport, you hear airplanes every now and then. We have office very close to that hotel, that's why we stayed there. Rooms are pretty bigs.
If you have a car, you can have lunch at RAM on W. Higgins Road 9520 in Rosemont. Typical burger place - good price /quality/ service.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
ESDTMGR, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago O'Hare Airport - Rosemont, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Dear Anne-Christine:
Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Doubletree O'Hare Rosemont.
You did a great job describing our proximity to the airport and to downtown Chicago. We are truly in the middle of it all.

We truly value our Hilton HHonors guests, and we do have a HHonors floor to make them feel extra special. On busy weekdays, we provide coffee, juice and pastries on that floor to start their morning.

Thank you again for your positive comments, and we look forward to you staying with us in the future.

Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I stayed here for a large work event with about 200 other people from my company recently. This hotel is dated and despite its best efforts to update itself, it still shows its age with the carpets and meeting room decor.
One evening during a dinner event I visited the ladies room and was greeted by a hotel staff person who had beauty products spread everywhere in the bathroom. She was making an attempt to be a bathroom attendant but it was more distracting than helpful. She also was very clear in stating that she survives on customer tips. Did not make me feel good at all.
My room was okay, but the water pressure in the shower was negligible and again the fixtures in the room showed their age. There was a lot of construction (loud) outside my window beginning at 4:00 AM. Not great.
My final experience with the hotel was enfuriating. I asked the bellman to set up a taxi for me to Downtown Chicago, as I was transfering to the Drake for a client event. He asked me if I would like a town car instead, as it was the same price as a taxi--$55. I said sure, as long as the driver accepted credit cards. He assured me that he did.
The driver showed up about 10 minutes later. He was insane--texting while he was driving, cutting other drivers off, talking on the phone, etc. And he didn't even know where the Drake Hotel was--a famous Chicago landmark. He was actually quite put-out that I didn't have the address.
Then when we finally (thankfully) arrived at the hotel, he told me that the charge was $65--and that he didn't take credit cards! Totally unacceptable, and I blame the bellman from the Doubletree for this.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear BohoMinnesota:
Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here at the Doubletree O'Hare Rosemont. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with the staff as well as with the brand.

As you are aware, Gibson's Steakhouse is attached to our hotel. Every evening, their guests utilize our restrooms next to our ballroom. Their company provides the bathroom attendent in that location, not the hotel. We do apologize for that situation, and we will discuss this with their management.

In regards to the bellman/driver situation, although the bellman had the best intention to offer the best service possible, unfortunately, the driver hired did not provide his best services.

As I stated before, we review these comments, and use them to improve our services to our guests. We hope that you will try the Doubletree again when visiting O'Hare in the future.

Suva, Fiji
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Stayed here for the Our World Underwater scuba show, on a recommendation from a friend who said loaction, location, location, and she was right. It is directly across the road from the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, IL, and a quick 2 minute walk. A LOT closer than the other hotels.

Rooms are large and comfortable, restaurant fast and easy going, and business center very convenient for us convention people.

One down-side that I see no reason for is charging over $20 a day for WiFi in the rooms, when it is offered free in the lobby?

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
milton keynes
Reviewed March 21, 2010

To be fair to any and all airport hotels, most of your clientele are going to be folded up and grumpy by the time they arrive, and the threatening and unfriendly underpasses you have to scramble through - avoiding the fake taxi dudes, the panhandlers and buskers - to get to the shuttle at ORD aren't the fault of the hotel.

However, the printed literature for the hotel promised a shuttle every ten minutes. That has now been cut to an almost worse-than-useless two an hour (admittedly, the website now admits this). You're looking at a $20 taxi ride otherwise.

I know times are tough, but this cutting back of the shuttle just chips the value off the edge of the stay. Not only do you have to stand in the chill of the night waiting for twenty-five minutes for the drive to the hotel, but the courtesy bus is groaning and takes ages to load up and unload.

Almost an hour to get to the hotel doesn't really make it count as an airport hotel in any strict sense of the word.

At night, the drive to the Doubletree feels like you're being taken through the backstreets of a Soviet-era Russian bureaucatic city centre. Daylight makes it look less unwelcoming, so if you do stay here but arrive at night, you'll need to suspend your feelings that you're about to be dumped in a gulag.

The driver, naturally keen to get on, unloaded our bags into the road - which meant they were piled in front of a limo which still had its engine running. No sign of anyone offering to help with them. In the end, I wander into the hotel and duck into the concierge room to get a trolley. It's only as I'm coming out that someone appears - "d'you want a hand?" It's too late by now, though.

The check-in team were very good, but I was already frazzled and probably less gracious than I could have been when presented with a free cookie and free water - 4am start tomorrow, and between the wait for the shuttle and the fruitless wait for help with the bags we'd already burned through an hour we could have been sleeping.

The room was brilliant, comfy bed, lots of pillows, felt clean and bright. There was a view over the city from the end of the corridor - during the day it'd probably look glorious.

Early start, rushing for the shuttle, call for help with bags. Wait ten minutes. Nothing. Call down. "Oh, there's only one man on today, and he's very busy" - understandably, with only one shuttle every thirty minutes, everybody is going to want to go at the same time.

So, arrival and departure was a bit grotty, and the conveniences you really need in an airport hotel were flops. But the hotel itself and the staff who were at their post were excellent.

Previously, we'd stayed at the http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g36630-d87692-Reviews-Sheraton_Gateway_Suites_Chicago_O_Hare-Rosemont_Illinois.html Sheraton Gateway at ORD; on balance, I think that one edges over the Doubletree - but wouldn't rule out a return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Recently had a quick overnight trip for a conference at the Convention Center in Rosemont. Only stayed one day, so not a long list of details. I would say it's a fine business hotel to meet most of your needs.

Airport Shuttle:
Was okay, I waited about 20 minutes which seems pretty common for ORD shuttles. The driver said they run about every 30 minutes, so it's a crap shoot if you wait 2 minutes or 29. The pick up at Door 3 at ORD

Location:
It's an airport hotel, so close to the airport. It's right across the street from the Convention Center, so that is a huge plus if that is where your event is located. Other than that, it's with all of the other hotels at the airport.

Service:
Check in was fast and easy, even with about 5 different people coming in off the shuttle bus. I'm Hilton Honors Gold and they had everything printed out and took me about a minute to get my ID checked, credit card swiped, given my cookie and keys. On a side note, they had a little wheel you could spin that had prized like 2 free drinks, free water, free parking, 500 points, 1000 points for HH members. I got the 2 free drinks, so it wasn't rigged too bad :)

Lobby - Facility
Lobby was nice, nothing exceptional, but nice for a business airport hotel. There is a Doubletree restaurant which was advertised as being recently renovated and it looked nice. There is also a steak house attached to the Doubletree. Not sure if it's part of the hotel or not, but it is attached. I had a very short stay, so I didn't check out the fitness or other areas.

Room
The room is a basic king sized room. 32 inch plasma and they did have HDTV on several of the channels. The bathroom was great in terms of size. Big sink and separate shower and tub (and a nice sized shower too). The furniture was functional but a little beat up and scratched. I had to laugh, I usually don't care about my room view when I'm at a work hotel but this one has me looking straight out at a wall. Got a weird corner placement.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business