“Big Disappointment”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 12, 2011

As a guest of the Embassy Suites, I opted for Basils since I was late arriving and knew the wait at Gibsons across the parking lot would be long. I ate at the bar and the strip steak was pretty lame. There was alot of gristle, and the cut of meat was tough. I certainly will not give them a 2nd chance.

Reviewed March 21, 2010

Basil's Kitchen is a restaurant and bar in the lobby of the Embassy Suites near Chicago's O'Hare airport.

Both times I've eaten at Basil's, we opted to sit in the bar area rather than the formal dining room. You could order off the same menu. The lighting in the bar area is exceptionally dark. Although it's a full bar, it's best to keep your order simple; the bartender seemed unfamiliar with basic mixed drinks (my party had to give directions for how to make a gimlet, mojito and hot toddy).

The menu is supposed to be Mediterranean, but it seems more like generic "American" fare, including meatloaf, sliders, various sandwiches, vodka ravioli. Both times I ate at Basil's, I had caesar salad -- once with shrimp and the other time with grilled chicken, both of which tastes fairly average. They grill a little toward the blackened end of the spectrum, so if you don't like the blackened smoky taste, you'll want to specify when ordering. Also, they unfortunately add tomatoes to the caesar salad, which I've never understood why any kitchen would do. Portion sizes are average; you won't have leftovers, but you also won't be hungry again after a couple hours. The chocolate torte is equally average and not particularly generous in terms of portion size.

Overall, Basil's is decent with friendly service and reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant. There are nicer restaurants in the O'Hare area, but Basil's is probably the best value.

1  Thank lil_drama