“Aloft is Awesome”

Aloft Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Rosemont
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Aloft is an amazing hotel - has the feel of a really cool, clean, trendy European hostel. The rooms are functional and moderately spacious (their mini-bars of blue soap rock!). The Wired and Conde Naste Magazines are NOT complimentary. You can call the front desk and get a cord that connects your laptop to the flatscreen TV. Bring snacks with you, because the snack bar is overpriced and sparse. The pool area is nice, but the pool isn't heated enough. Make sure you take advantage of their shuttle service, that will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. It is a GREAT way to spend a night before or after O'Hare flight.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed December 1, 2009

This is a well situated hotel for anyone visiting the Rosemont Convention Centre. Easy walk to the centre from the Hotel through a covered parking lot or they have a free shuttle to take you there. The Reception staff wheren't very friendly or helpful but the shuttle guys are brilliant and will assist you with any information and are super friendly. The Rooms are large and clean and very comfortable.
No restaurant but a 24 hour self help kitchen with good food.

Great little swimming pool and Gym.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2009

If you are looking for a restful sleep before flying out of O'Hare, DON"T GO TO ALOFT! We were placed on the second floor and music was blaring until after midnight: we were not told or asked when we were put in a room on the second floor very near the stairs with sound coming right up the open stairway. Also, beds are hard and sheets/mattress pad not fitted so end up with lumpy mess as soon as you move in bed. When I go to a hotel I guess I am old-fashioned enough to expect to be paying for a good night's sleep - if you are providing a "party" guests should have to option of opting out, and bed comfort should be a priority.

• Stayed: November 2009
1  Thank hudsontravel1
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We had a problem when checking in because we got the wrong room, but after consulting with them we got another room. The room was very nice and clean. There was a bar and relaxing area at the entrance open for anyone in the hotel and also to outside customers. They also had a shuttle that would take you to the airport and also to the local metro. I can recommend this hotel.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Before booking this hotel, I read reviews. Since many of the noted problems were fixable, I assumed that the management had addressed them by now. Wrong.
Because our son was staying in our room for the 2 nights, I really wanted a room with 2 Queens and a hotel closer to the car rental area, since we had to return a car late at night. I used their "Birthyear promotion" and booked thru a Starwood agent. The "Birthyear promo" appeared on my confirmation. I also mentioned it at check-in, when the front desk checked our driver's license (to confirm the birthyear, I thought). Upon check-out, however, the promo was NOT applied, and we wasted precious minutes getting a corrected bill - with the shuttle driver antsy to leave.
The Aloft brand caters to a young crowd, which I thought our hip son would appreciate. But he was equally unimpressed with Aloft.
THE PROS:
~ The rooms with 2 Queens were appreciated.
~ The lobby DOES draw one to socialize. Even my husband and I (age 58) enjoyed a drink there. Fellow guests included a deaf group, so the crowd was fairly quiet. Thanks for the complimentary bar almonds!
~ My husband and son appreciated the gym and the pool table. The lobby computers were convenient and the room internet access worked. The room refrig was nice.
~ A shuttle driver agreed to drop us off directly at Alamo to rent our car the 1st morning, although he belly-ached about why he shouldn't.
~ The shuttle drivers were conversational and friendly.
~ Amazingly, the Doubletree gave us a shuttle ride, when they knew that we had just missed an Aloft shuttle from the airport. I hope this courtesy flows both ways.
~ On the 5th floor, we were not bothered by lobby noise or airplane noise. The A/C helped to muffle.
~ The front desk was helpful with driving directions.
~ I like a sink outside the bathroom - more workable for 3 people.
THE CONS:
~ The beds were NOT "Rest and Relaxation!" The mattress cover and the sheets (neither of them fitted) bunched up underneath us. The bed was a mess in the AM. The sheets were not soft.
~ The Roman shades did not keep light out of the room in the AM - hard to sleep late.
~ Our room started with no Kleenex and 1 partial roll of toilet tissue and only 1 caffeinated coffee pod (single) for 3 adults. They were happy to bring us towels for 3 adults. We picked up extra coffee and TT in the lobby. But the 2nd AM, only 1 caffeinated coffee pod again. We had no glasses at the sink.
~ The shower leaks. We needed extra towels to mop us the mess. I think if you turn the shower head away from the door, it's better.
~ While I like these single coffee pods, I have a sanitary issue with them. Since you use a coffee cup to pour the water into the coffeemaker, how do we know that previous guests have NOT poured with their "used" coffee cups to brew multiple cups?
~ My husband likes to turn the clock to face our bed. The light from the clock was too bright.
~ The omnipresent music, making it hard to talk on a cell phone in the lobby or elevator.

In summary, most hotels have some drawbacks. But when a hotel fails with its bedding, fails with providing a dark room, has a leaky shower and requires guests to insist on a correct bill, that constitutes a hospitality disaster.

• Stayed: November 2009
2  Thank teton-view
Reviewed October 28, 2009

The hotel is just by the airport. Getting into Chicago from the hotal is difficult. You can take the metro which is about 15 mins walk from the hotel and then 45 mins. Alternatively, you can take a cab which can take the same amount of time and cost $50=$60. If you are planning to visit Chicago then don't stay here. If you need an airport hotel this is fine. The hotel looked great and the rooms were good with 4" TV's and walk in shower etc. However, the hotel had no soul. The staff were not rude and they answered any questions. The breakfast is noty complimentary and served in the lobby and lasts until 11. We got down at 10.45 and they were clearing away and we were told we were lucky they were still serving and had to order immediately. Overall the hotel seemed clinical

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I'm a big fan of the Starwaood brand of properties and had a reservation to stay at the Westin for this trip and I have stayed there in the past. A friend recommended this hotel and the rate was significantly lower than the Westin, so I decided to try it.

The good - Cheap!, The hotel is brand new and very clean. Free shuttle service, to Conv. Center, train and restaurants, convenient breakfast available, Free Wi-Fi (when it works)

The bad - I was not a fan of the overall "hip and modern" feel of the rooms. The lack of a closet was kind of a pain for a three day stay. I was surprised that while there is a flat screen tv, and a box to connect your computer to it, there is no clock radio, or iPod dock. They advertise free water in the room, but after I drank my bottle on teh first night, it was never replaced.

Lastly, when I received my bill the last morning, I saw that I was overcharged by more than $400! When I called to get it fixed, I was told I would receive a call back in 15 minutes, I never did. It was a huge hassle to get it resolved since it took them several tries to get it right.

Overall, I would recommend it for a short stay. But anything longer than two days or so, stay at the Westin.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business