“A hidden gem....definitely worth the trip!”

Historic Auto Museum
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Roscoe
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Wow!! Wow!! and Wow!! Around every corner, nook and cranny there are so many amazing things to see! This is an unexpected surprise in our own backyard, and even if we didn't live so close, it's worth the drive! The volume and quality of the cars as well as other mementos on display will impress you. Allow plenty of time to take it all in.

1  Thank jaymit02

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This museum had a little bit of everything!! I walked into the museum not knowing what to expect. I was told we were going to an auto museum, and after a few grumbles, I reluctantly agreed to go. Not only am I thrilled that I went, but I want to go again.

Let me preface this by saying I don't care about cars. As long as I get from Point A to Point B, that's good enough for me. However, I was a history major and I wasn't expecting the volume of JFK artifacts, or the WWII vehicles! Spectacular! So many presidential limos, too! We were there when the Abraham Lincoln exhibit was going on, and again, the clothes and historical artifacts was amazing.

There were plenty of cars, too! The batmobile, the ghostbusters 2 car, Josef Stalin's car with 3 inch thick glass, the 1976 money car, and 2 rooms of race cars. I can't wait to go back out here!

1  Thank Laura K
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I went to the Historic Auto Attraction in Roscoe, IL in September after hearing a coworker say what a great attraction this was. I went with my daughter and had a great time. We spent several hours here. They had the Batmobile, the ambulance that took Oswald to the hospital, sunglasses from Elvis and Marilyn Monroe, the car from Vacation with Chevy Chase, Oswald's tombstone...there are too many things to mention. All I can say is that this is a great attraction in an unlikely place. Worth the price of a ticket.

1  Thank Illinoistripster20
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor, we chose to visit this museum. I'm not sure that's what you would call it, but there were plenty of things to look at with some very good descriptions.

The signage was fine from our perspective. It doesn't look much from the outside, but there are some great things hidden inside. While the focus is on auto attractions, there is a wide variety of memorabilia within. Lots of autographs, clothing from stars and historical figures, and plenty of automobiles. There are numerous wax statues of different people. Contrary to prior reviews, I found most of them to be pretty good likenesses. There were a few that were off a bit, but taking some of your recent presidents, I thought all were very good with the exception of Ronald Reagan. Speaking of presidents, there are numerous presidential limousines and an extensive exhibit on JFK and his assassination. I found that all of this information was well presented with a good variety of artifacts shown.

Some other notables: The bicentennial "money" car, the Johnny Cash "One Piece At A Time" automobile, some Elvis vehicles, the Batmobiles, Gemeni space program capsules, and the Griswald's station wagon.

Both my wife and I were exceptionally satisfied with this attraction. We could have spent twice the time that we did, but we had kids pulling us through the place . . . Highly recommended!

Reviewed February 21, 2011

I visited the museum during the summer and couldn't believe the collection. I would have thought these artifacts would be in the Smithsonian or a Chicago history museum. Not only was it historical cars but important artifacts of history. Will be taking family back this summer. Only downfall is location and their hours are seasonal. But understandably why.