“Worth the trip down memory lane...”

White Fence Farm Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 63 Restaurants in Romeoville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Phoenix, AZ
“Worth the trip down memory lane...”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I used to go here as a child for special occasions with my family and grandmother (40 years ago). I had no idea that it was still open until last time on my visit I saw the billboard along the freeway on my way to the airport. So that was the only request this trip - visit White Fence Farm not for the food, but the memories.

However, I was happily surprised to find the food good. Loved the kidney bean salad (that was something that I had forgotten). The corn fritters were loved by others with me, but I found them a tad dry. Having the unlimited "relishes" filled us before our meals and we enjoyed them all. The chicken was good and not tiny pieces like KFC or others. The mashed potatoes and gravy were bad - stay away. My daughter's kids shrimp (3) were good, but I'd return for the chicken. They should close the "petting zoo" since you can't pet and creates an expectation that is not met. Long walk for nothing.

Yes, the environment has not changed - SUPER old feeling, but for me that was perfect since it felt the same as during my childhood. I plan to make it my part of my trip home.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BahamaDreamin

“Not what we remember”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

The food was not as good as $15 chicken should be, the chicken tenders were overcooked and tough. Used to come here when I was a child, I remember a fun family dining experience with great chocked, games, and a petting zoo. Now it seems run down, the games are broken, the bathroom smells, and the zoo no longer allows you to pet the animals. Combined with the less than stellar food I don't believe we will come back.

2 Thank armed5153
Chicago, IL
“Everyone loves the Corn Fritters!”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

It has been a long time since we had been there...so long the kids didn't remember it! So we went last night. The chicken was nice and moist, but if you are looking for something with some flavor, this is not it. My daughter had the fish and said the same thing. Good but not terrific. Our waitress was very pleasant and attentive. Everyone loved the Corn Fritters!!

It was kind of neat to walk thru the building and see things I remember my Grandmother having (knick-knacks) in her home!

They do have a petting zoo in the back of the building, but the kids are older and had no interest in checking it out.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank hipmomof2IL
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Awful old building, tasteless chicken”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We celebrated a family member's birthday here at his request. It is an old restaurant, with lots of added-on rooms and strange passageways. Immediately upon entering, you are hit with a nauseating, musty smell. This went away somewhat when we went through several doors and hallways to reach our dining room.

The menu specialty is chicken. None of my family of 4 enjoyed it; the regulars in our group thought it was just fine. Side dishes are served family style except for your potato (think a scoop of school cafeteria mashed potato in a bowl.) There was a bean salad, pickled beets, vinegar cole slaw, cottage cheese, and sweet corn fritters. Uck.
The birthday boy got a bowl of soft serve with a candle, and $5 off his meal (if you show ID to prove it's your birthday.)
Sorry, I will never be a repeat visitor. If I'm invited back, I will politely decline.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Ohio39
Willowbrook, Illinois
“Past it's prime.”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had a disappointing experience. After we were seated, it was a long wait to place a drink order and to get those drinks. Our waitress was pleasant enough but after she brought our drinks and took our order, we didn't see her again till she dropped the bill on the table and scurried away. Other people (busboys?) brought our food and no one ever checked back to see if everything was OK or if we wanted drink refills or dessert. The restaurant was less than half full, but we did notice that the other diners were just as ignored as we were. We did see plenty of waitresses but they seem to take your order then disappear.

As for the food, the only thing good (not great) is the chicken. The relish dishes and sides are very small portions and from a can or box. The alcoholic drinks were thimble sized. Overall, not a good value for your money.

I can see where this was a destination restaurant at one time. It has lots of history, a small museum, fun stuff to keep the kids busy, but the place just looks tired now. Also, while the employees are pleasant they are not very welcoming.

And as another reviewer mentioned, the whole place needs a good cleaning.

• Visited March 2014