“Great Chicken gravy & corn fritters”

White Fence Farm Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Romeoville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This place is has a lot of aged background. I have only had chicken for a meal, which comes with the best 3 bean salad and of course cottage cheese. We have been there frequently and the last time felt like the chicken had gotten so small, still delicous but much lesser portion for the higher price. We love the corn fritters and used to love the mashed potatoes, but last time they were not very fresh, seemed extremely hard, although the gravy is delicious.
We say that we won't go back but we always do. Each time hoping that it gets back to how it was.

1  Thank JDpilgrim2012

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This place is definately old school .... the place has really some charm like you entered an episode of Father Knows Best ... I felt like I was in a time warp from the 50's in a good way. I think that is why much of the people who come to eat here are from that era.

This place is huge - it can seat 1,000 people. We came here for their famous fried chicken - it's bit expensive but all the sides are unlimited. The chicken is crisp and moist ... best fried chicken ever! The waiter was very good and helpful, I wish I remembered his name ... but he provided great service. The mini museum is great to look at not only for kids but adults too. Check out the old cars!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Chicken always great never a bad meal. I have been fortunate to not to have to wait in line but have been told that sometimes in Sundays

1  Thank ArmyNurse92
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Went with a large group today and had a great meal. The place is gigantic and they even have a car museum in the restaurant. The chicken is very good and I love all the sides - especially the hush puppies. Don't forget to get a brandy ice for dessert, it is fantastic. This place is like stepping back in time to the 1950's and I'll be back soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We ate at the White Fence Farm Restaurant last night. We had not been there for many years. Of course, most of us ordered the chicken; the lone holdout had the french fried shrimp. I found the chicken was not quite as good as I had remembered it. It was good, but I've had better elsewhere. The unlimited helpings of the corn fritters, cole slaw, bean salad, and beets (served before the entree) certainly diminished the appetite. I thought the bean salad and crunchy cole slaw were really good, especially when mixed together. (I know, it sounds a little strange but try it, you'll like it!) Service was good, and beer and wine priced reasonably well. The entrees I thought were a little pricey - $14.50 for 4 pieces of chicken, same price for the 7 pieces of shrimp. All meals come with a choice of potato (mashed, fries, baked). I had the mashed potatoes with chicken gravy on the side. Yuk! For a chicken place, how could they possibly mess up chicken gravy? Store-bought gravy excels over this stuff!

They did have online coupons ($5 off $40). While that helped, I'm not sure that it offset the entree price. The restaurant is also a museum of sorts with lots of interesting old time stuff. Maybe I should consider the entertainment factor in the higher prices.

It was a good night out (be aware that they close at 9pm (Mo-Sa) and 8pm (Su)) with friends but I would not be in a big hurry to go back. (I would have rated it at 3.5 stars.)