“Worst stay ever”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rolling Meadows
McHenry, Illinois
“Worst stay ever”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

It's 9:05pm and I just got home from the worst experience at the holiday inn holidome in rolling meadows il. My wife, daughter who's is 22 months, and I reserved a room at the hotel on the first floor right by the pool which had a little patio area where we intended to spend time when we weren't in the pool. On Friday we got a call saying that the basketball court would be closed due to an event. That was it nothing else. When we got there we checked in and went to our room. We had no chairs at our rooms patio so I went to the front desk to ask for chairs. I was informed that all the chairs in the hotel were taken for a meeting at the basketball court. At 5:30pm we went and meet up with my parents and my wife's parents at the restaurant in the hotel. There was only one server in the whole place and he was also acting as the hostess. We ordered our food and one of our guest ordered and appetizer. When 20 minutes went by I asked for the appetizer. The waiter informed me that it was taking longer because it was a large order.( 7 people) before we knew it the food came out and one of us got some chicken sandwiches which no one ordered so we asked and he said it was the appetizer which it was not. He then walked away and brought some more food and realized he made a mistake by bringing the wrong item as an appetizer and replaced it with the right one. He still didn't bring the main entree for that person and walked away. 5 minutes later he walked over and said " when your ready Ill bring out your burger" it was way to late by that point. I explained to him that an appetizer was meant for before the meal. He said he likes to bring everything out at once. Not sure where he learned how to serve food. We told him to forget about the burger it was too late. 3 of the meals weren't even hot and my steak was cold. He took off the drinks and the burger and of course included gratuity on the check. ( what a surprise) we then went back to our room and got ready to go swimming. When we got there the pool was closed. No reason but we waited. I called after a half hour and was told it would be open in 10 minutes. After 15 minutes I called and was told another 15 mins. Sounds like there was a reason for it but no one knew why. After another 15 min I called the front desk again and she said they would send some one right away to open it up. After they opened up the pool 10 minutes later the security guard came to the pool and told everyone that it was being closed down again because the people at the meeting were complaining about the noise. Yet we had to listen to the speaker of the meeting who didn't speak English over the loud speakers.We were told time and time again that it would not be closed because of the event. I am not alone on this you could ask everyone's opinion and I guarantee not one person would be happy with the way Holiday Inn handled this situation. The manager on duty Pat Patel told me he would give me 50% off but it was way too late. I was there to swim with my daughter and at this point it was too late. The only other way was to check out and so we did. Wow what a terrible way to deal with this issue. You jeopardize your reputation over something like this. Ill tell you one thing for sure it's not stopping here. I will make sure that people hear about this one. I was married at this hotel 3 years ago and we didn't have much luck then either with the management but we were really hoping we could have some fun with our daughter at the place where her parents were married. I wish you were in my shoes when I had to explain to my daughter that we had to pack up and go home. Her tears didn't stop until we got all the way home. It really ruined her day. I hope this really I pacts the way you do business in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure that they tell you if there are any events going on that will impact your stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny Judge K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Jenny Judge K,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We reserved a room on the first floor with intention to have the easiest access to the fun area. We made the reservations at this hotel specifically so we could use the indoor volley ball court with our daughter who plays for the village and was looking forward to practicing her skills.
That won't be happening. We called the hotel to confirm our reservation on the first floor. They have us on the second. AND the volley ball court is in use for a private event. I was told we could use it the next morning... You know, while our family of 5 is trying our best to hustle in the shower, eat, and be out by 11. Had it been mentioned to us that the court was not available... We would have booked another time. Now we are stuck, or out of our money. Odds are this will be the first and LAST time we stay at this hotel unless something really great happens during our stay....
What a let down.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Missydell
Jose Q, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us at Holiday Rolling Meadows. As mentioned we did contact you regarding the temporary closing of our volleyball and basketball court for 4 hours during your stay. Thus as courtesy we did extend all check-outs with no extra charge the following morning from 11am to 3pm. This was done so that all our guests could enjoy the full amenities that our Holidome offers.
We are committed to 100% customer satisfaction and thank you for staying with us and for your feedback, If you wish to discuss this further I invite you to contact me directly at your convenience.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was a guest overnight at this hotel because of a seminar being held in the hotel the following day. I took a taxi from o'hare which I didn't find out until arrival was a time and a half ride because we went outside the city limit. Bummer! The hotel staff was pleasant upon my arrival and check-in was swift. The hallway walk to my room had me a bit nervous because it looks dated, but my room had been nicely updated recently. You can tell that the updates were cover-up cosmetic changes rather than gutted renovations but it was nicely done. The room smelled really clean and I loved the king bed. Slept great! The hotel offered to take me back to the airport with their complimentary shuttle, but during the week it was only available at one time because they didn't really have a driver. I ended up having them get me a taxi and it was a flat rate of $29.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
dixon, illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Tammy checked me in and was so awesome, I had a personal situation which was why I was staying there for surgery in the area. She accomodated all our needs, I really enjoy every holiday inn trip as they treat you like they know you and always provide personalize service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank deb o
Avon, Indiana
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Took part in a 3 day conference that was hosted by this hotel, and everything ran smoothly. The Polynesian room( a jungle themed area) was breathtaking. It included the main banquet area, pool, arcade, and a basketball/volleyball court. The banquet staff did an awesome job handling the 400+ delegates. The only hiccup I could find was the availability of rooms. Some delegates; including myself, were booked in an adjacent hotel( holiday inn express) due to a shortage of rooms. Other than that everything went on without a hitch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jose Q, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Mr. Gomo
Thank you for the kind words about our accomodations with regards to the Holidome and all its ameneties. With regards to the shortage of rooms you speak of the conference actually surpassed the contracted rooms at our property and needed to accomodate more of their guests thus the reason for the accomodations at the Holiday Inn Express adjacent to this property. We always strive to accomodate all our conferences and guests and this was the only manner in which we could accomodate all the delegates you speak of.
We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your business.

Ottawa
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I can only say positive things about the staff and cleanliness of this hotel. For me I found it a good value as the bed was comfortable and shower was hot. There is a fancy pool/play area where children could have a lot of fun and there is a reasonable fitness room. The breakfast buffet was very good.

If I were here for longer, I would say the location is not ideal, there is very little with regards to restaurants and shopping within a reasonable walking distance. The TV was pretty bad in my room as well, however, there is a note at the front desk saying they are transitioning to newer TV's. If TV was important to me, I would have asked to have one of those rooms.

Overall, I think this is a decent value and if you are in Rolling Meadows, this is likely close to where you need to be.

Room Tip: If TV is important, ask for a room with a new TV.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review and the nice comments with regards to our staff and cleanliness of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your accomodations.
As for the Televisions in the rooms, I am glad to inform you that all our rooms are equipped with 42" LED televisions also we have upgrade our movie system to include 14 HD channels and a vast movie selections for your enjoyment.
We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your business

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 13, 2012

After extensive research we settled for this hotel to host a baby shower for my wife. This place is about 30 miles from my place to decided to check in the day before and manage arrangements. The event went so smooth. The staff was very helpful and helped me decorate the room which was not even a part of their task. gave me good suggestions. the events manager threw in a few freebies just because it went with out theme. And last but not the least - the food. Every single guest present complimented us on the food. Food was served on time, was warm, had good presentation. Overall it was A++ service. Bottle line my wife patted my back for picking the venue ;). Would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jose Q, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows.
I will pass on the great reviews of the banquet staff, Chef and the Banquet Manager.
I'm glad to hear that you and your guests enjoyed the wonderful food cooked for your event.
It is our goal to ensure 100% guest satisfaction every time and I'm glad we were able to not only meet your expectations but exceed them.

Guest Relations Manager
Hilton Garden Inn Schaumburg
Hilton Garden Inn Schaumburg
#2 of 29 in Schaumburg
Hyatt Place Chicago/Schaumburg

Been to Holiday Inn Rolling Meadows - Schaumburg Area? Share your experiences!