“Nothing but good things to say”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pepe's Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Large groups
Galena, Illinois
“Nothing but good things to say”
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I ate at Pepe's after a very disappointing meal the night before, hoping to find some good Mexican food while on business. What I found was GREAT Mexican with great service. I ordered the carne asada with a chile relleno and both were amazing! The steak was cooked perfectly and was very flavorful. This has got to rank among my top 3 Mexican meals of all time and I will definitely be back when in the area again.

Visited January 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“Very good food”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoy the food at Pepe's, but the prices tend to be pretty high for what it is. There isn't much atmosphere, but you're going to go there for the food not the atmosphere. The guacamole is among my favorite from a restaurant and the salsa is great. I recommend the tamales.

Chicago, Illinois
“Great Mexican food!!”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We found the food to be fresh and flavorful. Great selection, terrific food, great service, great for families, friends, or romance!!

Aurora, Illinois, USA
“Wouldn't dine here again. Small portions. Rice and beans served a la carte???”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Not your typical Pepe's.
The experience in Rolling Meadows was disappointing as compared to what we thought we knew of the brand. My family and I are from the western suburbs and have been to and enjoyed other Pepe locations.
I did like the restaurant decor - regrettably, that is all.
There was nothing notable about the service.
We ordered steak quesadillas and steak nachos (our favorites from the other locations) and chicken fajitas. The steak tasted alright, but the quesadillas were totally different from what we were accustomed to. Not good at all. The steak nachos were ALL tortilla chips and some drippy nacho cheese ... it looked like barely 1/4 cup of steak. The 2 'orders' of rice and beans barely fed my three small children (my husband and I didn't get any). The chicken fajitas were poorly seasoned - actually, it was that I didn't like the seasoning.
The biggest upset was the bill.
They had charged us EXTRA for rice and beans - twice.
Guess they don't come with the entree in Rolling Meadows?
Oh, and $2.95/2.99 for the side of guac I ordered.
The 'side' was about 2 tablespoons worth of guac.
I don't go to Mexican restaurants for a la carte rice and beans.
And if I were to pay extra for them, I'd better be able to take home the leftovers.

• Visited April 2011