“At least the beer was good” 2 of 5 bubbles

Sushi Station
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“At least the beer was good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

I've been pondering how to review this place. It was a big disappointment for me so I guess I'll go that route.

On their site they advertise as a kaiten sushi. I've been to tons of them in Japan, this was my first experience in the states. It was pathetic, to be blunt.

Kaiten sushi is designed to be fast, get you in get you out. Thats cool. But I think this place does false advertising. They should call it kaiten maki because when I went it was 100% rolls(maki) on the conveyor belt. (I went for lunch).

It isn't Japanese maki either. It is exclusively Western maki, the ones invented to appease Westerners. California roll, spicey tuna, san diego blah blah blah. I have to say I was shocked at this. My companion, a japanese girl, wanted to leave and go to a real place.

But we didn't leave. Instead we ordered nigiri and japanese maki from the menu, at least they had that. It came quickly. Nigiri was missing wasabi. I used some of the provided ketchup packet fake wasabi, and it wasn't hot...at all. This place just kept getting better and better.

I ordered two orders of their daily special, albacore nigiri. It was supposed to be a dollar off the regular price. I got charged regular price.

All I could think about while I was there was how this is where it starts. You know how chinese buffets distorted Chinese food? Americans go there and think they are actually eating Chinese food. Same here. Again, this isn't sushi, it is "Americanized" sushi. If you went to Japan you wouldn't find it. And believe me, thats a good thing.

I do have one good thing to say. The beer was off the hook. Kirin, on tap. Cold and smooth and pure awesome.

But, unfortunately, I won't imbibe Kirin's here again. I'll never be back. When I want a good hamburger, I wouldn't go to McDonalds. When I want good sushi, I won't come here.

I do say though, the place was busy. It was full of what looked to be trend eaters and sushi noobs. So if you aren't well versed in sushi, maybe this is a good starting place. If you are an experienced sushi eater with even modest expectations, I would strongly suggest going elsewhere. There are lots of other places.

• Visited August 2011

Schaumburg, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst place EVER to have sushi!! WORST SERVICE EVER!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Worst place EVER to have sushi!! WORST SERVICE EVER!
My friends and I went there and they make us wait despite there are empty table. We were party of 5 and 3 of us arrived. There was 2 large empty tables and they insist don't seat us. OK, fine, I wait a little bit.. Meanwhile they gave one of the empty table to another couple who just walk in..

Then, we sat down (finally!!).. My another friend came by to join us. So now we have a party of 6. My friend just wanna stop by and chat. However, the manager told us that he can't sit here. "If he's not eating, he has to sit outside on the waiting bench by himself!". That's just rule. Never in my lifetime a restaurant said that to a customer. NEVER go there again!! Their sushi is not fresh at alll NOT.. They just make roll to feed those people who don't know what is real sushi.

• Visited June 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

I came here with a group of friends and it's always pleasing to eat here. I'm not brave enough to try the more traditional sushi, so I always stick to the San Diego and Phoenix rolls, which are magnificent and have a great flavor. I was also shocked by how insanely delicious their chocolate cake is. It is probably the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten! The prices are always reasonable as well. Overall, it's a fun place to go...especially if you're with a group.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ilovemoz
Chicago
“Terrible Management! What a shame! Will never go back again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

This restaurant does not even deserve a star but because the price is reasonable and it has the conveyor belt that is the only reason I am even giving it a star. Management and service really make a difference and play an important role in my dining experience. And unfortunately I have to say I am very very appalled and disappointed with the service Sushi Station provides-in particular with the attitude and lack of respect from the manager. The experience I had was far from the reviews it deserves. We got to the restaurant and it was busy. Which was ok we didn't mind waiting. Others were getting seated before us. So what is the whole point of passing out tickets with numbers if they don't even follow it? Then we got seated and water tasted like metal. It was our first and last time there. Since we had never been there we looked at the menu with patience deciding what we wanted to get. The waiters kept asking are you ready. We said no not yet just 1 more minute. Then the manager came over and said, "is everything ok". We thought how nice to come over and ask and said, "yes of course thank you". Not thinking anything and the response of this lady (who we later found out was the manager) was.."oh ok because you are taking too long to order there are people waiting to eat here too. order now". I was shocked. this was our first time there and she had the nerve to pretty much tell us to hurry up and eat so they could seat others. The nerve! I've never had such poor and terrible service. I tried to brush it off and not let it ruin my night and was still willing to eat there but my boyfriend was offended and said, "that's not right, I'm going to ask to speak to the manager". Then he called the waitress over and said, "could you please get the manager for me". Seconds later the lady who told us to "pretty much hurry up" came over. We said , "we'd like to speak to the manager please". And she said, "what is the problem i am the manager". We said very kindly and respectfully that we may have misunderstood but we didn't appreciate being treated that way. She got mad at us and said, "ok and walked away". Again we were like, "what is going on". She was so rude and didn't care at all-total lack of respect for her customers. My boyfreind was then like,"lets leave". And me always trying to give the benefit of the doubt and not wanting any problems was like, "well lets just order an appetizer or something". So he said, "ok fine". We then looked for the waitress but she was talking to the manager and both were looking over at us and talking. The manager was angry. After 15 mins of waiting for them to stop talking and waving our waitress down. I got up and walked over to the register where the manager was talking to our waitress in Japanese. As i was approaching the manager she turned her back on me. Little did she know I may not be Japanese or look it but I am fluent in Japanese and lived in Japan for 5 years. I understood everything she said! And the things she said were shocking and very unprofessional. I played it off like I did not understand and heard her saying, "don't help them if they don't like it here they can leave, we have to get as many people in here and out as fast as possible". That was the final straw for me. I turned around walked to the table and told my boyfriend, "I had it, let's go". We got up and left and will never ever return there again.

There are so many good sushi spots in Chicago and in the suburbs. I'd rather drive thru rush hour and traffic and look for parking downtown on a Friday night and pay so much more for less sushi than ever go here again. I find no reason to subject myself and my boyfriend to this atmosphere and belittling treatment. I guess it's like they say you get what you pay for and this place has cheap prices but so is the quality and service. What a shame, such a nice location and they ruin it with such a bad manager/owner.

Chicago
“Horrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

We have been regular Sushi Station customers until our horrible experience on 2/25/10. We arrived at the Sushi Station in Rolling Meadows last night and were given a ticket to wait for a table at the sushi bar for 2. We sat for 15 minutes until the owner took our ticket and sent us across the restaurant to sit somewhere else and wait for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, she was sitting other couples who came in after us (all Asian decent). I told the owner that we have been waiting as she has been seating others and she told me "they would be quicker." I didn't really know what that meant. When we finally got seated, the couple sitting next to us asked us if we didn't mind telling them what was happening with this rude owner and we told them what she as doing. The owner then came up to us and said to us "what is going on, don't talk to my new customers." I was so shocked she came over to yell at us and treated us like dirt. The couple next us couldn't believe how rude she was and how she was acting. She couldn't take the time to come over and apologize, but had time to tell us not to talk to the people next to us. I then told her that we can talk to whoever we want and proceeded to get up and leave the restaurant. We will NEVER go back! I've never been treated more rudely and have never been discriminated like this in my entire life. Horrible expierience and rude owner. She said her name was Akim. Don't support this racist establishment.