“Great pizza and excellent service!”
Review of Original Gino's East - CLOSED

Original Gino's East
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Chicago, IL
“Great pizza and excellent service!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

First of all, I am always impressed by wait staff who remember everything the group orders without writing any of it down! We changed our minds 3 times and he still got it all right! We went for lunch and stuffed ourselves silly. The atmosphere was mesmerizing -- how in the world did the graffiti get in some of the highest and tightest places?! It seemed a little run-down but I didn't mind. This was my first time here and I will go back!

• Visited August 2012

Cleveland, Ohio
“Authentic Chicago Style Pizza”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Absolutely delicious!! It took about 45 minutes for it to cook, but it was SO worth it!! The service was great too!

Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Long on the tooth”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Having eaten at various Gino’s in the Chicago area, it has always been a safe fallback choice when a group of us can’t choose a particular spot or we want a ‘simpler’ meal. Unfortunately, this Gino’s (which I have been to many times) has seen better days.
While pizza is still the pizza, good but certainly not as good as it once was, the service is mediocre and the restaurant is in a general state of disrepair.
While I certainly don’t expect excellent service from a pizza joint per se, it is sad when you get if ignored by your server when the place was very quiet on a Saturday evening. The server took our order and basically disappeared coming back when my son ordered another beer 2/3’s of the way through the meal which didn’t come for 15 minutes with the limp excuse that the bartender was changing out the keg. On a side note: keep in mind that this is the same place that a few years ago was automatically charging an 18% tip for parties of 6 or more. When I complained about this for our party of 6 including 3 adults, the manager stated “we have to pay our busboys” followed by “we get stiffed by large groups of teens.”
The condition of the place is sad. I suspect that some people view this as ‘ambience’ but uneven floors that you have to be careful walking on, booths with tape on the seats, tables that wobble the minute anyone touches them and chairs that you hope will survive the meal aren’t ‘charm’, they are cheap. Apparently someone thinks part of this charm is lining up several rows of toilet paper in the bathrooms on what is supposed to be support rails making them unusable to people who might need them as well as pathetically unsanitary. Hmm, lets see, what roll has been pawed the least do I want to use? It is simple an cheap excuse to not repair the toilet paper dispenser.
Gino’s used to be a great Chicago institution. I suspect that the people who made it so would be sadden by this sad display of their legacy.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank CT B
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“About as good as Chicago Deep Dish gets”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We've been coming here for years - back when there was space on the walls where you could write stuff. The place reminds me of a college campus beer joint as a result. The go-to pizza for us is the PATTY (not crumbled) sausage (you have to ask for it) deep dish with mushrooms, garlic, and olives. You may find you have over-ordered if you think a large is what you need - but because the pie is so thick, you really find that 2 slices is plenty. Lots of other choices too - even thin crust for you non-believers.

• Visited April 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great pizza - Fun experience”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This restaurant is a "most go to" every time I get back home. Delicious and cool atmosphere.

Visited April 2012