“Best Chinese food in the suburbs”
Review of Chef Ping

Chef Ping
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic beef & broccoli, walnut shrimp, and Szechuan string beans. Peking duck prepared table side is not to be missed.

1  Thank J W

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I love Chef Pings! When we lived in the suburbs, it was a short drive. Now, that drive is over 20 miles, but worth every one! The food is delicious, fresh and the service is great. Another bonus is that the carry-out is also wonderful!! I picked up some pot stickers, crab rangoon, moo shu pork and General Tsao's chcken last week and after more than an hour drive(bad traffic) the food arrived home still warm. A great place to go with family and friends.

1  Thank Jill R R
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Our friends raved about Chef Ping's. They introduced us to Yu's Mandarin in Schaumburg many years ago, Apparently, Yu's was the family restaurant and was sold with the family name. Now out of retirement, Chef Ping's is the place to go.
We started with cocktails. My wife had a Singapore Sling, our friend a rum and coke, while I had a Mai Tai. What a great start!
Chef Ping's does their dinners family style so there were plenty of choices and lots of food.
All four of us had the orange chicken, walnut shrimp, mango chicken, and noodles in black bean sauce.
The orange chicken had big chunks of chicken with orange peels that were in a sweet but spicy sauce with just the right amount of spicy. The sauce enhanced the flavors of the dish. It was hard not to devour all of the portion. The walnut shrimp had very large shrimp in a creamy sauce with honey coated walnuts with steamed broccoli. All these ingredients melted together exceptionally well. It looked beautiful. The broccoli was done perfectly. It was that bright green that cooked broccoli is supposed to have. The walnuts were a delightful surprise. They added to the flavor of the dish. The mango chicken was interesting with green and red peppers with lots of slices of mango. My favorite was the noodles in black bean sauce. The noodles were home made. You knew it the moment you put them in your mouth. The black bean sauce had little bits of pork, baby shrimp, onion, and zucchini. All these ingredients were chopped so very finely that you knew you were eating something but they were not intrusive. We all received a bowl of white rice to plate our selections.
I was very impressed at how upscale Chef Ping's dining room was. The inside was chic and elegant. The brown tones and the lighting added to the enjoyment of the evening. We went early so I would certainly suggest a reservation or coming early to get a table.
Excellent food and Excellent service

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This restaurant is always busy with customers. You need to wait at least an hour to get a table. The food was okay but you need to also wait for a bit.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I'm a huge fan of Chef Ping. It seems every time I'm back in the area, it's the one place my friends want to go to... and for good reason.

I honestly think Chef Ping is one of the best Chinese restaurants in the Chicago northwest suburbs. The decor is pretty modernized and the restaurant itself is very clean and inviting. This isn't all for show either, because the food definitely complements Chef Ping's attractiveness.

I think what Chef Ping does best is that it incorporates many sectors of Chinese cuisine into its menu successfully. They don't do it haphazardly or in a jack-of-all-trades style, but excels in all facets of their food. From the "Americanized" Chinese, such as sesame chicken; to the authentic Chinese, such as the casserole varieties; to the Chinese delicacies, such as sea cucumber, abalone, and Peking duck; to the Korean influence, such as jajangmyun; and even to the pleasant inclusion of desserts (something that many Asian restaurants don't offer).

Chef Ping is a winner.