“Good and Bad”

Ranked #8 of 361 Restaurants in Rockford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Dinner Party is our inspiration. We have communal seating, chefs serving your food, and a group of bartenders creating innovative cocktails. Our passion is local foods; we work with many area farmers and producers to create a simple yet elegant menu featuring what's fresh from the area. Located in a historic district downtown, we have built our tables and bar from reclaimed wood that dates back to the 1850's. A warm urban restaurant dedicated to supporting local industry.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have had several meals at Social. The service has been consistently very good. I have had the best dinner I have ever had in my 60-plus years of living in Rockford BUT I also have had one of the worst. Maybe a bad night, but a top-quality place should not have such big swings. Overall, I would highly recommend Social Urban and hope that the one bad experience was an aberration.
Locally-grown meats, veggies, etc. Cheese curds are great. Drinks are exceptional.
The table sharing is fun, but the noise level of the place needs some attention.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

After hearing about this place, we had to stop by.First off, ordered the absinthe. It is served the way it is supposed to be. I enjoyed it, my wife was so-so. As for the food now, wow. I ordered the buffalo meatballs. Enter the taste monster. Spiced tomato pepper sauce, crisp pasta really made it good. My wife had the pork tacos and enjoyed every bit. Not too hot, but just right on the lime and red cabbage slaw. I was impressed more with hers than mine. After dinner finished off with a drink, "the Craythur". It is Red Breast Irish Whiskey, apricot liqueur, lemon juice and some other things. The drinks are a little pricey but well worth the experience. The place is slender and long and your seating is "long bench". The benches seat 6 so if there is only two of you, say hi to the new friends you will meet! It does fill fast so be ready in case you have to stand. A real treasure in downtown Rockford. Another somewhere to stop!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stylish atmosphere, great food and the best drinks in town! I am particularly fond of the scotch orange and of course the fried cheese curds (sounds simple but it is a unique take on a standard). It is a great place to start your night, grab diner or finish it with a unique drink of their menu. Everything is made from local sources so the menu does change which makes every experience a different one.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Hands down my favorite place to eat in Rockford. In love with the JFK and the pork belly tacos. Everything is fresh and local. Service is excellent. While the place is small and the seating is different, give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Imagine if you will, a place that brings their food in daily from local farms. Imagine yet again a place that makes Spirits the old fashion way by using old school mixology with top shelf liquors, the combination of the two makes your taste buds realize of the way drinks should be made. Take that in addtition to the meticulous care and preparation of the daily mouth watering creations of infamous Chef Paul Sletten and his team and you have such a place...Social!
The food, spirits and service are top notch! Do not miss an opportunity to see how things were done as time gone by...truly a decadents delight!