“Used to go here all the time when in the area”
Review of Garrett's Cafe

Garrett's Cafe
Ranked #46 of 361 Restaurants in Rockford
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The food used be great here- not sure if management changed? A different chef perhaps? We just never go here anymore. Was very dissapointed last time we had dinner here.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is one of our most popular meeting spots for drinks or dinner with friends. It is located at a golf store that is popular locally and a very nice driving range. We visit often and are never disappointed in the food and service. Prices are fair. Beer and wine selections in the bar are wide ranging.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The best past about Garretts is it has a nice Patio overlooking a driving range. I like the view and food here. The weather was really nice to have some nice wine and food here. The salads here are really nice and should be tried! Since I did not order the food myself here, I do not have much information on the menu! But for the ambience of this place, i give it a thumbs up!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Had lunch on a Friday with a dear friend who was in town for a few days. We used to frequent Garrett's for lunch when we both worked a few blocks away. We both ordered what used to be our favorites, Barbecue Chicken Chopped Salad and a Turkey Burger with Sweet Potatoes Fries. The salad and the fries were as delicious as we remembered but the Turkey Burger wasn't as tasty as I remembered. The prices are still moderate and the restaurant's decor is still appealing but it was surprisingly empty for a Friday's Lunch. Our server was very friendly and efficient. I wouldn't order the burger again but I would come back for another entree. Over all the lunch experience was average for me but my friend loved her salad.I would advise the chef to work on improving the burger by not using a prepared one but making one from scratch!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The service: We went here while in town for a soccer tournament. We were looking for a quiet, relaxing evening. We were seated immediately, but it took quite a while before a waitress came over to introduce herself and take our drink orders and give us menus. The restaurant was busy, but not full and there were no other patrons waiting to be seated.
The slow service continued throughout the evening. It took quite a while to get our drinks, then another long wait for the appetizer, and an even longer wait for our food. A table of 6 that was seated after us (we were a party of 3) had actually finished eating before our food was served.
Our waitress apologized, but never smiled or made us feel welcome. We actually felt like we were imposing.
The food: our appetizer of warm homemade potato chips and blue cheese dip was not very good. The cheese was rubbery and only faintly tasted of blue cheese. I would not recommend it. However, the lobster bisque was delicious, and so were the sliders, steak au poivre, and mashed potatoes. Everyone at the table was happy with their meal. It was a little pricey ($35 for steak) but the steak was cooked perfectly.
I would return for the food, but not for the service.