“Great Neighborhood Pub”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Over the years, we have gone past the Olympic many, many times. Having returned to Rockford for a visit recently, we decided to give it a try. Were we ever surprised! Renovated from its earlier days, it has a rich classic look to it now. We were surprised by the extensive beer list as well as their wine selection. The menu was beyond our expectations for "pub grub." The wait staff was friendly and helpful, guiding us through their selections. Worth a revisit? You bet!

1  Thank Dakrist

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The place was recently remodeled, great laid out, not one big open room. We stopped by for drinks and casual dinning after golf.
Excellent extensive menu, the staff cordial and friendly. The food was good and the specialty salads great. Plenty of drinks to choose from, I was content because thy had my Pellegrino water ( many places do not Carrie it). Our food was served hot, which was good based on the place being real busy.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This place has had some weird iconic following in Rockford that I still do not understand. I want to like it, but the food is just...well...bad!

We waited until the 18 month long remodel job was completed, and then decided to give the new place a try again. So here is what I came away with;
- great tap beer selection.
- nice bar, far nicer than before.
- bar staff was just okay.

We looked at menus at the bar, and first thing I noticed is that they had a LARGE menu, which is code for FROZEN items. We gained a seat from a hostess that we really could not identify as the hostess, but she happened to be at the hostess station - not very professionally dressed.

Once in the restaurant, there was a fairly long wait, and just seconds from me getting up and leaving, we had a waitress pop in who asked "has anyone waited on you yet?' - never a good sign! We were hungry, and how bad could this really be (?). Well we found out! The "french onion" soup was more like french onion pudding - can anyone make a simple french onion soup in this town? The salads arrived, and the iceberg lettuce was warm, which is odd since the bowl was cold and wet. Oh, forgot to say when we received our initial order of drinks there were no drink napkins for my larger glass of beer, and my wife's "tall" drink. When our food arrived, it was as I suspected - FROZEN minutes earlier, and microwaved to the "careful the plate is hot" temperature!

Good beer list
Nice bar area
Big TV's in the bar.

Typical crappy Rockford wait staff (not surprised though)
Menu is too large - FROZEN
Food was, well lets say, mid grade.

This place has a cool urban setting, with a killer outdoor patio, nice bar, but has never pulled it together to be the destination for anything other than locals who have low standards! Sorry, but I'll go back for a beer, but keep the menu! There are far better places to eat in Rockford than this.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

The bar area is nice with a comfortable atmosphere. You have plenty of choice and thier drink menu is extensive. I was pleased with the hard to find liquor, especially the imported beer that you can find only in Chicago. The service is very good and it seems like everyone goes above and beyond. Unfortunately the food is not up to par as it should be with the prices they charge. It's ok to good but not great. I think they should really focus thier time on quality and have the staff try the food so they can have an idea of what is on the menu. The plates are large and the portions SMALL. I will be back for drinks and possibly a sandwich for lunch but not for dinner.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Liked the food. Very creative menu. It gets busy go early in the evening or you will wait 30 minutes or more for a table. This is one restaurant that has a real chef .no frozen food off the truck.