“Weekend getaway”

Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Rockford
Chicago, Illinois
“Weekend getaway”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This was my first time coming to this hotel. I liked that it is near the river and the room had a nice view of it. The room was nice we had also a fireplace in the room and two bathrooms. The bed was nice and we had great customer service. The full american breakfest was good and better then expected. The only downfall that I saw was that the room did have some water stains and the wall had some nicks. Over all this was a nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ygmickey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This hotel is in serious need of an upgrade. I'm sure it was great back in the day, but it is definitely showing it's age. We got a certificate for a free night stay. They ended up charging us $50 for incidentals that we had to pay or they would not check us in. This money of course would be put back on our card in ample time after we checked out. I thought that was tacky and left us with barely any money for the rest of our trip. The manager didn't seem to care. Our room we were checked into had a broken window and there were lamps that didn't work. They transferred us to a new room. The indoor "heated" pool was not heated at all. It was like swimming in ice water. The overall customer service experience was terrible. And there was a huge wedding party in the hotel and the people next to us were extremely loud and noisy all night! I do not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shawn G

Travelers are raving about these Rockford hotels

Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed March 21, 2012

The event was outstanding due to the cooperation and planning of the staff at Cliffbreakers. Everyone from Debbie Hutchinson in Sales and Special Event Planning to the catering staff and servers were professional, polite, and very attentive to our needs. Everything from the beautiful chandliers and fire pits, excellent meal, and sparkling fruit punch (for our high schoolers) all served to make the evening one of the most memorable events of the school year. I would definitely recommend Cliffbreakers for special student events.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Very nice staff and clean and spacious rooms. While a bit dated, the Lexington is right on the Rock River. Hot buffet breakfast was included.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Rockford
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We held a retirement party for a co-worker. We had several guest rooms and a banquet room with food and drinks. Our experience was excellent from the initial planning stages with Debbie to the event itself. The catering manager that night, the bartender and all of the wait staff were very attentive to our needs. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. All of my guests that spent the night said that the rooms were excellent. I would say overall, I think the new owners and management staff are doing a wonderful job of bringing this hotel back to the quality that we have known and loved about Cliffbreakers - I will definitely be booking additional events here in the future. Thank you!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 26, 2012

The hotel is decent, but run down. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have slept on in a long time. The room was nice, but old with the wallpaper falling off. We went to a wedding which was very nice, but the rooms need a little work. We stayed in one of the 2 story suites without the whirlpool, which was an interesting design. I believe we should have stayed in a normal room because the two story suite did not add much value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank WrigleyRun19
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I grew up in Rockford and remember thinking that Cliffbreakers was as classy as it could get. I wanted to get married here. Of course, when I told my husband this on our recent visit, he looked at me and said, "Thank you for not making us get married here."

To put it bluntly, the place appears to be a dump. The rates were cheap, but so was the space.

The wallpaper is peeling and carpets are dirty and dingy. There was a musty smell in all of the rooms and the heating/cooling system never worked quite right.

We had one of the whirlpool rooms on the first floor which seemed decent until the next morning when we drew our curtains. Right outside our door looked like a dump. There were pop cans, Four Loko cans, plastic cups, plastic bags, and the kicker? A hotel towel covered in vomit. Clearly, someone was having a party and chose to just chuck all of their garbage out the window. I brought this to the front desk's attention, but there the garbage remained for at least another 24 hours.

I also noted various bits of garbage that was never removed from the halls including a condom box right outside the elevator.

The gym they touted? It had two very old treadmills, a broken Bowflex machine and a broken weight machine. No real way to get my fitness on. The pool, however, was empty at 7:30 a.m., so I was able to get a nice swim in. It was clean, thankfully.

The goods, along with the pool, was that our room was cleaned upon request, and the front desk staff was friendly.

I wouldn't stay here again. The property just isn't maintained well, and I felt like the property which may be touted as nice, really isn't.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ajzmann
Travelers also viewed these Rockford hotels
Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Rockford
Red Roof Inn Rockford
#6 of 24 in Rockford
Baymont Inn & Suites Rockford
Fairfield Inn & Suites Rockford

Been to Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!