“Nice Downtown Establishment”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I just went here for lunch, and enjoyed myself. The service was good, food came quick and hot. The menu was a nice size... not too big, with both unique and common selections. The music wasn't too loud. The hours are good too. The booths and tables were all clean, but my only complaint is that some of the decor is a little ratty and beat up (carpet in the back dining area is blegh looking). The rest of the place looks neat though with all the original flooring and woodwork and nice colors... nice old pub feel. The most important part, the food, was excellent and every bit prepared in house. I got the Hot Irish Pork with Colcannon... fabulous! It was like an Irish bbq sandwhich with cranberries and onion and strips of juicy pork and gravy on top of a house made hard roll.... so tasty! And the colcannon was very flavorful (for those who don't know, it's mashed potatoes with shredded cabbage and onion in it). I was very pleased with my meal, and my spouse loved his turkey sandwich with green bean salad. My toddler liked the potato salad. I wouldn't recommend this place for families in the evening as it seems like it'd be more of a bar type atmosphere, and they don't have highchairs, but definitely ok for families for lunch. It wasn't busy for lunch at all and would be a good place to meet for business or have lunch with friends during the work week. I thought that the prices were reasonable for the portion sizes and taste... between $7 and $11 a plate for lunch.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stopped in here on the 4th of July because it was one of the few places open. What a lucky happenstance for us! The food was very good, fresh, and with a little twist on standard fare. They buy mostly organic food and make everything on the premises except catsup and mustard - and they're working on those! Mussels were tender and accompanied by spinach, red pepper, and mushroom sauce. Bangers and mash was outstanding. They make their own sausage and the mash was unique and very tasty. We chatted a bit with the long time owner and we're very impressed with his commitment to providing the freshest local ingredients possible. Altogether, a very yummy lunch!

1  Thank marywoodall
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was one of several restaurants recommended by a Rockford resident. The other two were nixed by my friends for various reasons. The atmosphere here is a fun early-20th century feel, and the staff help with that affect. Our food was very good, and there were several interesting choices on the specials board. Our waiter was very accommodating and answered all of our questions. Try this place out! It's fun!

1  Thank Jake S
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Went to the Irish Rose when in town with friends. Atmosphere is great. Menu is varied, and the food overall is good. I wouldn't rate the food spectacular or awful; it is slightly above average. The issue I had was with the wait staff. After the waitress was specifically told that I had an allergy to dairy, when our salads were brought out and given to us, it was impossible to discern which salad was which. I discovered through my friend's tasting of their salad that I had been given one with dairy in it. So we switched salads, narrowly avoiding disaster. Told the waitress this when she returned. She listened, I thought. Then when bringing out our dinners, she served me what I ordered with a side of pasta covered in cheese. When I again said that I really was allergic to dairy, she informed me with a bit of attitude that, "Yeah, I know. It's just cheese." So beware eating here if you have allergies!!

1  Thank SLTraveler67
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Well I have to say this restaurant has become my favorite place to eat out. We've eaten here about 3 times now in a month. The food is fresh and always changing. I think the specials that they offer are decently priced as are their regular meals.

I know some reviews say that they thinkt hey are a little high - but this food is made fresh and fresh food is more expensive. But I honestly think for all that you get - it is a fair price.

I have never been a fan of fish but I am now. Irish Rose's white fish or their tilapia is outstanding. Last time there, they offered a lake trout with red curry. OMG! This was as good as I have had over seas. The red curry was outstanding! I honestly don't think you can make a bad meal choice there. If you like salmon, they really know how to prepare it.
Their soups and pastas are delicious as well. They offer a lot of different beers to satisfy the guys as well. The wine choices are pretty good too.
Go! Enjoy! and Come back again!

1  Thank Temple_seeker853