“nice upscale cafe”

Mary's Market Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #58 of 360 Restaurants in Rockford
Cuisines: American
Description: This place serves foods with an international twist. It is similar to Panera Bread only this place offers superior foods and backed items.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This place has great sandwiches,soups and breads but thier cookies are the best. It is also a nice casual yet upscale cafe.

1  Thank Dawood H

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good place for very casual eating. We had a soup sandwich combo of the day. When in a hurry easy in, easy out

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Mary's Market is a local (3 stores) upscale sandwich shop in Rockford. It is really better than that other national upscale sandwich shop. My favorite location is the one on North Alpine because it is a little quieter than the one off of Perryville Road. There is also a courtyard shared by the various stores there with tables and chairs where you can eat on a nice day. The menu is quite varied. Everything my friend and I have tried was excellent. He liked the grilled chicken bruschetta sandwich so well he had it again the next day! I had the caprese melt, which is cheese, tomatoes, basil and pesto on a flatbread with a wonderful vinegar-based sauce (much better than it might sound and it comes on the side so you can add as little or as much as you want). I liked it so much I've had it again. I've also had the "make your own sandwich" option. I chose turkey and swiss on rye with their "special sauce". It was very good. The other thing I have tried is the pot roast sandwich. Very good. Ask for it with the "special sauce" rather than mayo. The dessert to try are the ganache bars. Wonderful!

1  Thank Arleen H
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Because of the reviews, four of us visited the Mary's Market Cafe and Bakery location on State Street while we were passing through on a Saturday evening. It was not very busy at all, with just a few other customers while we were there. This restaurant is tucked behind Aunt Mary's Restaurant, so if you are coming from I-90/39, you'll see the sign (on the left) for the other restaurant first and you have to drive around to the back. We are really glad we found it.
My husband had a mandarin chicken wrap that he said was really good. I started with a bowl of butternut squash-lentil soup, which was thick like a stew...everyone tried it and agreed it was quite delicious! I also had the chicken bruchetta sandwich on sourdough toast. It was kind of weird that the chicken was warm but the parmesan and tomatoes were cold, and the sourdough wasn't real distinctive; otherwise, it was pretty good.
My friends had the fish tacos and (something else...?). They liked their meals so much that they said they'll stop here the next time they are passing through Rockford.
Because the other couple's meals came 5-10 minutes after ours did, the server, who was super nice but whose name I didn't catch, told them dessert was on the house. None of us had planned on getting dessert, but we ended up sharing one key lime square and one piece of turtle cheesecake. Both tasted rich and yummy!
By the way, the assortment of desserts was wide and the prices were really reasonable, between $2.50 and $3.50 each, so even if you are on a limited budget, this would be a great place to take a date for dessert.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Mary's Market is one of our favorite places to grab a sandwich when we're in Rockford. The East State Street location is smaller, less crowded and a little too quiet for us. We like the McFarland location more, it's more alive. I usually get the goat cheese and bacon wrap and my wife usually gets the fish tacos. The food is always fresh and tasty. They offer a huge assortment of fresh bakery items, even fresh baked loaves of bread. Skip Panera Bread and Starbucks and go to Mary's Market...you won't be disappointed.