“Good value!”
Review of Alpine Inn

Alpine Inn
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Rockford
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

A lot of my thoughts were covered by the precious post!
It is a dated building layout (old school motor inn), but it has been improved nicely!
I did check both mattresses for bed bugs and I can say there wasn't any in our room. It's a pretty basic layout with a mini fridge and microwave. The bathroom is updated ok, but as last post says... The shower head was brutal. It kinda had a "sharp" feel of water coming from it. I know it's a water saver but even a cheap waster saver now is better than that. And I can say I was very dissapppinted in my shower after looking forward to a relaxing moment after driving 8 hours! And yah the towels are thin and very rough! They really should update the little things now

Overall though for a price of like 62 dollars tax in...you can't expect everything

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank smokeeater2
KatieHaun, General Manager at Alpine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

This is the kind of review we absolutely appreciate and love- the kind that is fair and the kind that causes me to take action to correct a problem. We have received enough feedback on our towels and shower heads that I have been researching some different options immediately. As this reviewer makes mention- we always have to emphasize that we are a value hotel. We look for ways to save whether it be economical shower heads or economy quality linens in order to pass that savings along to our guests by avoiding an increase in our rates to account for these ever-increasing costs. With that said; however, when enough of our guests are asking for something it is imperative that I do my best to make it happen. We will begin immediately budgeting for improved quality linens and alternative economical shower heads. Thank you sincerely for staying with us and helping us to improve!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is THE place to stay if you want a classy place to stay at a great price. Miss Norris is a great lady to check you in and she and all the other staff are great people and go out of their way to insure you have a pleasant stay. IF you like a good cup of coffee, you can get it 24/7 and its GREAT!!! We stayed here a week our first time and it was nothing short of 5 star on my ratings. IF you are a veteran like my self or active duty military, this is my first choice of places to stay in this area. This place really supports our troops. VERY CLEAN and VERY POLITE staff even the grounds keeper is great too and this is something we found different. MY rating is 10 stars out of 5. Safe, secure and clean IF you stay somewhere else you will miss out so stay at the Alpine Inn!!!
I travel all over the country regularly and for the price you wont get any better and if you like plenty of elbow room they got you covered.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade its the best and close to the coffee.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Raymond L L
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Okay, I'll admit to not doing my homework when booking this facility online. Yes, although you may not realize it from the above photo, the Alpine Inn is a large one story, motel that parallels Business 20 on the east side of Rockford. The front of the facility, which faces State Street, has two adjoining U shaped buildings with 24 rooms in each segment, but as it is built into a small hillside, the bottom end of each U segment also contains a two story addition with at least 10 rooms per level. Truly this is a 1970's motor inn on steroids! Our room was clean and well maintained. On the minus side, the shower nozzle needed updating, the microwave & mini-fridge need better placement, and whoever decided not to reinstall a second sink in the dressing area when those new marble countertops were added needs to travel with a family group in order to understand why this was a poor decision. However, the beds proved comfortable and the sheets were rather thin, but soft. The bath towels, on the other hand, reminded me of the way towels used to feel when we dried them on the line back in the days before electric clothes dryers...

The breakfast area was small considering the number of rooms it serves, but attractive. My only contact with staff was at the check-out desk, but she failed to meet the rave staff reviews that others have mentioned on this site.

Room Tip: As the U shaped configuration tends to amplify street noise, I'd recommend requesting a room on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Littletoot2
KatieHaun, General Manager at Alpine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Wow- what an incredibly detailed and fair review of our property! I love the description of a motor inn on steroids! We definitely appreciate the feedback on shower nozzle so that our maintenance department can resolve any necessary issues. We do use economical shower nozzles to preserve water though they do need replaced from time to time. As for the second sink we completely understand the desire there when traveling with family and we do offer a couple apartment suites that actually come with two separate bathrooms and vanity areas for those who request them and based on availability. And this is not the first guest to make comment on our bath towels. As a value hotel we try very hard to not pass the rising costs of linens and other expenses on to our guests which is why we use the economical towels as well although I am always on the hunt for improved linens with the help of reviews like this one. I am most regretful that this guest experienced less than exceptional customer service. Again as a value hotel we pride ourselves in 2 things that we can offer over all others and that is cleanliness and customer service. I will most definitely be getting with the Front Desk staff members to remind them of this and review our customer service training. We are so very thankful for this review and feedback and will work diligently to improve!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I hate to give bad reviews, but I have to be truthful of what I saw and felt with this hotel. After reading about the bedbugs I decided to check the mattress, just in case. There were horrible stains all over the mattress. Since they do not allow pets I really hate to know what they were from. In fact my son slept in his clothes all night. The pillows were flat as a pancake. The beds are small for two adults. The bathtub.was old and dirty looking.. There were three of us, they only had two sets of towels, had to ask for another set .The breakfast was really bad, cold cereal and mini doughnuts, small bagels and english muffins. Coffee pots were empty and the tables were dirty .I heard trucks on the road most the night, our room was towards the back of the property. I understand for the money you can't expect much, but I expect at least a clean room. The breakfast they should not offer, because it is really not good. I stayed here due to the great reviews, not sure if we were on the same planet?. I would not recommend, Sorry.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

While we are not above making or admitting to mistakes this just does not sound like our hotel and I too wonder if it is in reference to the same place- if it was I would have completely resolved any of the issues that this guest had immediately upon it being brought to my attention. This guest is referencing the over-all bed bug epidemic our nation’s hotels are experiencing and I want to make it clear that we definitely take this very seriously. We have a national pest company come out monthly to inspect our hotel. In addition our housekeeping staff has been trained on inspecting for this sort of thing and we also utilize detectors as an additional preventative maintenance to avoid this widespread problem. And as you can see from previous reviews we pride ourselves in cleanliness- if our housekeeping department has made an oversight in this area our guest(s) is immediately moved to another room and the issue is resolved immediately. This guest states that we do not allow pets although we do so long as they abide by our pet policy. As for the continental breakfast, while yes it is basic and simple- it is a free service that we offer and do not include in our room rates. If guests make any requests to me prior to their arrival (so long as they are within our health department regulations) I will do my best to accommodate their request (ie gluten-free items, breakfast bars, pre-cut/packaged fruit, etc.) This guest also mentions empty coffee- we provide 24-hour coffee services and there are times when no one is in lobby and there are times when we go through 4 pots in 15 minutes. If it is brought to the Front Desk representative’s attention that a pot is out, they will immediately remedy that. Lastly- this guest stated that they heard trucks all night and their room was located in the back of the building. Our building is a concrete structure- making it almost sound-proof, and the rooms in the back of the building face a city block completely opposite of the busy street in the front of the building. Again- we are 100% in support of constructive criticism as this is how we can continue to grow and improve however there are items in this review that do not match our hotel. If any of our guests have any issues at all while staying with us they just need to call the Front Desk and we vow to do everything within our means to make it right.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We didn't want anything fancy, just a place to stay overnight on a long road trip. The hotel is a little bit farther off the interstate than typical, but no big deal. I was a little leery of a place that only costs about $50 plus tax, but the positive reviews on here have me confidence. Room was very clean and updated. TV was pretty useless, but that didn't matter to us. Staff members were all quite friendly. Continental breakfast was adequate. Good value. Would go back again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank BananAnne
Reviewed July 24, 2013

nice clean rooms great central location excellent friendly staff.jamie &Norris were very helpful with directions and restaurant locations. stayed 13 days other members of my team transfered to this hotel from other Rockford area hotels after stoping by my room and comparing price and room quality. great manager former military.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank william g
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This place was great! The room was huge, clean, and comfortable. And very affordable. They were pet friendly and provided free Wifi. A light breakfast was provided in the morning. It was situated a little further off of I-90 than we would have liked, but the room quality and price made up for it. A very quiet place with friendly, helpful staff. I would totally stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family