“A Whole lot of goodies for children”

Discovery Center Museum
Ranked #2 of 35 things to do in Rockford
Northfield, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A Whole lot of goodies for children”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Everything in there was touchable and playable. Their staff were constantly working to keep them in good condition. Interesting displays and shows. We really liked the science/magic show.

Visited December 2012

Rockford, Illinois, United States
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Learning FUN for all ages”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We Love going here, we go once to twice a month (we bought the membership and bought it again this year). My kids are 3, 5, 6, & 15. They love coming here, they are playing and learning and they don't even know it. Their outside play area is Spectacular! There is an area to bring in a lunch (which we did often) they only have pop/water drink machine. They are attached to the Burpee Museum but your DC pass does not get you in there, they are attached but two different places.
I really like every couple of months they will change up different areas or have traveling attraction come in for 3 months at a time.
There are free times to come in they are different days every month, call to see what they days are. Also pick up or look up their monthly activity sheet, on different days they will have free craft or activity tables for the kids.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Jennifer S
Rockton, Illinois
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Kids and adults love it”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have been going for years and I take my early childhood class there for fieldtrips. So much to learn and I enjoy their traveling exhibits. If you buy the membership you get to take advantage of a national museum program too. Well worth it.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank antwo5
Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A Great Gem hidden in Rockford, IL”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have been to this museum several times throughout our past because of it's great professional reviews and have always been very happy with our experience. However, it's been a little over 3 years since our last visit and I wanted to share that this museum still does a great job of "Wowing". Even our 13 year old was engaged. The five kids in our group were aged 5, 7, 8, 11, and 13. All of the kids were entertained. Although the museum may be smaller in comparison to other nearby museums (like Milwaukee) or not have the location pizzazz (like Chicago), everything within it can carry it's own weight as a first rate museum. The first floor has a tornado exhibit which is one of our favorite. There is a hands on (or body on) pulley exhibit where kids sit in a seat and pull themselves up by a rope and pulley. I tried it and found it challenging for a woman in her 40's. Then, my kids all tried it and had fun surpassing my attempt. There is a farming exhibit where kids can handle grain and move it from one spot to another through a series of pulleys and conveyers. There is a small art table to make corn husk dolls, which all of our kids thoroughly enjoyed. The Hot Air ballon example was fascinating. There is a construction play exhibit, books and reading area, and in the summer, a well loved play maze and water table. My 8 year old was disappointed to have to leave the sign language interactive lessons and my 11 year old wanted someone to decipher her morris code messages. For this visit, we did not get to the upstairs because all of our kids were so deeply engrossed in the exhibits and play; we felt rushing them along would defeat the whole point. However, in past visits, our kids found the second floor just as enjoyable as the first, with an area for art projects, and a bone exhibit. At the end of our two hour visit, all of the adults were very pleased with the museum and the kids are still talking about how much fun they had. For us, the true measure is when they ask if they go back, and with this museum, we heard that request immediately.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank CTheWorld-5
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Plenty to do”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My 4 year old daughter absolutely loved coming here to play. There is so much for her to do and see. Perfect place to take your child, no matter what age.

1 Thank JayDee201