“My Kind Of Service”

Ranked #19 of 361 Restaurants in Rockford
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Having been told about Octane by some co-workers, my husband decided to take me there on a date. We drove from across town but I will tell you that it was worth the trip! It is a small place, perfect for an intimate dinner but not so full of itself that you feel uncomfortable. There was a bar that was moderately busy, but mostly a lot of smiling faces.

The reason I decided to write the review came in the form of our perky waitress who arrived after a polite pause to ask us what looked delicious to drink. She made the entire experience so wonderful for us as first timers. She even wore shoes and socks to match her apron, calling them "Octane Blue" and making jokes about how much she loved working there. When it came to ordering she very patiently walked us through the menu, answered all of our questions, and eventually helped us pick an off-menu item (mac and cheese, but so so delicious and out of this world!) and a sandwich for our meal (Father Knows Best, turkey and cheese on grilled sourdough). The food was awesome, but like I said the waitress made the night. She always had a big genuine smile on, even at her other tables or when she spoke to the other servers. It was just a level of friendly energy that you don't usually get while dining out.

We were so impressed with our first visit that we plan on coming back many times. I wish I could remember our server's name, we definitely want to be waited on by her in the future. Octane is a gem of a place with a gem of a staff, an absolute must-try for my fellow Rockfordians!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Like other cities on the Rock River such as Janesville and Beloit, Rockford's downtown is a ghost town of ramshackle grand old buildings and glorious days gone past. For that reason, my wife and I were surprised on May 18, 2013 to find a decent and eclectic eatery such as Octane. Just reading the menu was fun, with items such as the "modern TV dinner," "hawaii 5-0 burrito," and "sanford & son burger." And the food wasn't bad, I had the modern TV dinner which consisted of strips of steak, with corn, fries, and a creamy garlic herb sauce - that all worked together. I'd definitely eat there again - and next time hopefully we will see Jim Rockford.

1  Thank Jason_Klimowicz
Reviewed April 10, 2013

They have great coffee's and so many different kinds of drinks. We usually just go there to get 2 or 3 different kinds of drinks and a dessert. We have eaten there too, really good food. Nice place to go to, to relax after a concert.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

If you go there don't miss to order Turtle Mocha, so delicious coffee served in a Big mug.
You will get coffee and dessert in once. The atmosphere is so colorful with wall art. The Staff was extremely friendly. Definitely a place to enjoy with friends or as a couple.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The food was delicious, staff was friendly, and great atmosphere. It is a nice place to eat/drink after catching an event downtown!!