“Worst Night Ever! Ever!”

Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rock Island
North Aurora, Illinois
“Worst Night Ever! Ever!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

When I made this reservation, I though that it would be nice to upgrade to the Parlor Suite…It sounded nice and the pictures looked nice as well. Once we got there we were given two separate keys, for our two separate rooms..? Apparently when you reserve the “Parlor Suite” all you are getting are a higher floor room with drywall work being done and two adjoining rooms. On their website they really make it out to seem like it is something special..not worth it!

My fiancé and I went out for the night and got back around nine, when we got to the room we could hear all of the drunk people across the street yelling and screaming, we both agreed that it was still early and would probably stop soon.. NOPE! It doesn’t, ever! Its constant yelling and arguments outside of the bar! On top of that if you look out the window for more than thirteen seconds you will see a cop car more than once patrolling the area, my guess is something happens quite frequently at that bar…That’s comforting!

Finally, once we fell asleep which was nearly impossible, around 3AM someone was knocking on our door so loudly it was scary, when I say knocking I mean slamming their hand against the door so hard the picture on the wall was shaking. Then once I yelled at them to stop, they yelled back wanting me to let them in! Obviously the person was drunk and lost and his friends came and yelled at him as well. Regardless it was not the best way to get woken up in the middle of the night. Why even bother trying to go back to sleep. And if you try and call the front desk you can plan on waiting for it to ring three hundred times before someone answers.

I will say that out of the entire trip the only thing that was good was when I contacted the manager and told her what had happened, she was very accommodating and sincere as well as apologetic. Overall, it was the worst stay, I truly would have slept better in my car outside of an insane asylum. The location is the worst possible, the food was equally terrible and the cleanliness is absent. The staff seems to be the only good thing here.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank John C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear John C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with our facilities and services as well as the neighborhood and the issues you had with the noise. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

We appreciate your feedback and your business.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Turkish first
Texas
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This Holiday Inn is clean but needs refurbishment. The rooms are small. The fixtures are dated. Some parts look unfinished (no baseboard trim in the hallway). The staff is friendly and courteous although they tweaked one of my pet peeves by only enabling our room keys for 1 night even though we had a 3 night reservation.

The shower water pressure is low although the water is plenty hot. The shower head is too low for convenient use for taller people (over 5'10").

In our room the outlet on the desk lamp was non-functional. A plug could not be inserted into it. The entry way light was burned out.

Even though we were on the "secure" floor - which is equipped like a concierge floor there was no added service or benefits. Only thing I could see is we go the additional annoyance of having to use the room key in the elevator to enable access to the floor.

This isn't an inexpensive Holiday Inn either, so I can't even call it a good value.

I'm not sure what else is available in Rock Island but I'd look elsewhere unless the convenience of location is of supreme importance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank IIP2
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear IIP2,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our courteous staff.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the dated room amenities and the shower inconvenience. We will look into this and assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Modesto, California
Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you still want to stay at this hotel after reading carefully reading the reviews (and you really need to read the reviews over the past year), insist on seeing your actual room BEFORE you pay for the hotel. If we had done that (we, unfortunately, prepaid), when we left the lobby, we would have seen the rickety elevator, the dirty carpet on the fifth floor, the painted out graffiti on the hallways and doors of the fifth flood, the room that wasn't locked (the door had issues and you had to shut it hard), and a room that had definitely seen better days.

If you must stay in this area, stay at a nice hotel in Davenport. You really do not want to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Jeff R
IL
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The other reviews are accurate. This is an old hotel that I can't really think of anything positive to say about. As I look around the room, everything is bad- the beds are really old, the desk is really just a table with a chair that won't raise so it's like sitting on the floor. For some reason, they stack the fridge and microwave on the "desk" so you can't even see the TV from there. In the bathroom, the toilet is making a ton of noise since it is running nonstop and won't turn off. If nothing else, they could at least thoroughly clean the rooms and not leave a tub full of hair from whoever stayed here before. The heat/AC unit looks like it may be the first model ever built, I can't believe it works since it looks so old.

The parking lot next door is very tiny, everyone else must use the parking ramp across the street, and it is not a good place. It is very tough to maneuver through it, the signs are tough to see, and I'm not at all comfortable leaving my car there tonight. The first thing I will be doing in the morning is going to make sure my car is still there as this is a pretty sketchy neighboorhood.

I can't see any reason at all why I would even consider staying at this hotel again, not even for free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank tc3399
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear tc3399,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. I'm sorry you were not fully satisfied with the facilities, amenities and parking services the hotel has to offer. We truly value your feedback as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. Hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

I was quite surprised at the location but glad to be in a Holiday Inn. However, I will not stay here again.
The elevators are very noisy. My original room was next to the elevator which would have made sleeping impossible. Fortunately they gave me a different room! The gift bag for priority club miners was great.

Over rooftops I did have a cool view of the Mississippi!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Tlb2011
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My co-worker booked our rooms here so I didn't have any say in where I got to stay. I wish I had because I certainly wouldn't have stayed here.

I mean the people were friendly, which was certainly appreciated, the hotel is located not too far from Rock Island Arsenal, you can see the Mississippi and Iowa from your room, the gym was updated, and the Priority Club reception was pleasant but those were the really the only high points.

As others have commented, the hotel is certainly dated. While there signs promoting renovations, I did not see any sign of renovations. The hallways have been painted the Holiday Inn green, but it just looks dirty and discolored. My room featured outdated light fixtures, an old sunken easy chair, a plain desk with a sad and torn desk chair, an older dresser, and a flat-screen TV. The TV did feature many channels so that made having to stay in the room not quite so bad.

The thing that struck me the most was the mildewy, moldy smell in the room. It was particularly strong in the bathroom. I soon discovered the reason for the strong odor as a large piece of the wallpaper had peeled off to reveal dark spots of mold and mildew. I rarely post photographs on TripAdvisor, but I felt the mold was too gross not to capture and share with others.

In the small, tiled bathroom there was Bath and Body Works Verbena Lime shampoo, conditioner, and lotion, and a citrus mint bar of soap. There was also Folgers coffee for use.

The air conditioner was one of those old wall units (not central, with a digital thermostat) and it rattled really loudly at times and I couldn't really get to operate at a pleasant temperature so I just left it off during my stay.

Dinner at Bennigans (the restaurant attached to the hotel) was just as bad. Service was incredibly slow even though it was 7:00 in the evening and I only ordered a hot dog and fries. The food wasn't too great, either. Breakfast was a little better. I had cinnamon swirl french toast, eggs over easy, bacon, hash browns, and toast. Breakfast is not complimentary but if you are a Priority Club member you receive a voucher for $5.00 toward breakfast. I only paid $3.68 for breakfast plus tip.

As a Priority Club member you received coupons for the Priority Club reception on Monday through Wednesday which consisted of several different and wines, chips and salsa, and cream cheese wonton snacks (pretty good). There was also coupons for buy one, get one free drinks at Bennigans (not available for all drinks).

The gym was probably the most up-to-date feature of the hotel. There were two treadmills (with individual TVs and fans), an elliptical, free weights, a small pool, and access to the local fitness club on the same level as the hotel.

As I mentioned at the beginning, the staff was friendly and offered me a paper and cookie upon arrival, it doesn't really make up for the state of the hotel.

A few other issues to note: parking is tight and there is no Express checkout (you still have to stand for a few minutes at the front desk to get your receipt).

I would not recommend staying here until at least after the entire facility is renovated.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank foxegurl266
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear foxegurl266,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

We hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Katie J
Oxnard, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I picked this hotel for the location, which is fine. The lobby looks nice but ... after you leave the lobby....it goes downhill quickly. The carpets in the hall are dirty and there is painted over graffiti on the doors on the fifth floor where we stayed. The room was a little better but was worn and needed updating, I also signed up for the breakfast package, but their restaurant would not honor it and they only gave me a $10 credit. Definitely listen to this and other reviews and go somewhere else,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Dan R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Dan R,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I am delighted our location suited you well and pleased you found our lobby commendable. Please accept my sincerest apology for the misunderstanding regarding the breakfast package and I regret the cleanliness of our property did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the quality and services that we offer to our guests.

Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rock Island
Radisson on John Deere Commons
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Isle Casino Hotel Bettendorf
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities

Been to Holiday Inn Rock Island - Quad Cities? Share your experiences!