“awful”

Ranked #13 of 84 Restaurants in Rock Island
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The only thing worse than the food was the service. Ordered calamari as an appetizer. One or two of the pieces had a "hint" of calamari - the others were thick, overcooked breading. This delightful dish was followed by Mediterranean melange - burnt pita + a couple pieces of whatevever was left over in the kitchen. Waiter left my drink on the bar - I got tired of waiting and got it myself. When we mentioned how bad the calamari was he replied "Yeah, a lot of people tell me that"...and you didn't tell us that?

Here's the kicker - I live in RI and always try to support local businesses. I'll continue to do that, just not this business.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have dined here before and really had a fantastic meal. This time.... not so much. We were seated by our bored server in the loft area, even though it was only 6:15 in the evening and the place was not full. (Kindly note: our 2 kids were with us. Family bias?) The loft was HOT. Like inferno not, without even a fan running. I ordered the pumpkin ale which was delish and DH got the Arkham stout. He also enjoyed his brew. That is the last nice thing I can say about our evening.

DD age 7 got a bowl of ham and broccoli soup as she normally picks off my plate. It was good, but salty. DD age 13 ordered 1/2 sandwich and cup of soup. Her chicken salad was good, but her lentil soup was mush. Thick, like they served it yesterday as well. (The flavor, however was quite good.) Kindly note that our children eat out often and we took them in EARLY so as to not to disturb District drinkers or date night.

DH ordered the walleye with a red wine reduction, twice baked and salad. The sauce was so strong he could not taste the fish and the potato did not look house made. The veggies were fresh (broccoli and carrots). I had the the jalapeno crusted catfish. Ugh! The plate had 2 nice sized filets, but they were not cooked to the same temp. One was oily and rather dark (cold fryer?) and one was barely done (still frozen?). For a place called the BLUE CAT, it is not silly to think the catfish would be good. The jalapeno "sauce" was clearly jalapeno jelly reduced with water. Super sweet and no spice.

Did I mention that the loft was HOT? And it took over 40 minutes to get food. Our kids ordered soup and a cold sandwich for heavens sake. I would go back for beers and appetizers/ bar food. The burger and fries are probably pretty good here. The entrees would have been better at the Bennigan's a block away.

For an establishment that was once rather innovative, this place has failed recently.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were part of a party of 5 at The Blue Cat. While we were there more for the company than for the food, two of our party ordered the catfish and were unpleasantly surprised at the sweetness of the dish. Another person in our party ordered a chicken dish, which was also dripping in honey. Contrast that with the two of us that ordered the ahi tuna and had a very tart slaw on the plate ... seems to be a place of extremes! While nothing was terrible, I don't know that I'd return to The Blue Cat for the food. I would, however, return to check it out as a bar/lounge and music joint. Also, the restaurant takes reservations.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The place had a nice location and atmosphere. The wait staff was very helpful and service was good. I had one of the best Lemon Drop Martinis ever, and my husband, who is a Guiness freak liked their local stout. The appetizer, which was a Mediterranean plate was really fresh and tasty. The problem came with the main course, which was a Ruben sandwich with totally burnt bread on the bottom. We are not the kind to send things back, but would have been justified doing so in this case.