“Nothing Special”

Cuisines: American
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My wife and I visited Goombazz about 1 month after Robert Irvine had completed his "Restaurant Impossible" makeover. Decor was attractive, but the paint on top of the table where we were seated had chipped in places (our server said the painted tables were not completely dry when RI did the reveal and reopened the restaurant). One would think that the owners would have corrected the paint chipping by now.

Goombazz Menu is one page with good variety and shows definite traces of Robert Irvine's touch. Owners appear to be sticking to Irvine's menu changes. While we were there a couple was seated, ordered beverages, but left without ordering food because they could not get a menu item they had ordered before the RI makeover (serving staff handled the complaint well and "comped" their beverages). Talking to our server, I got the opinion that Irvine did not ingratiate himself with the staff during the makeover... he said Irvine's huge ego was offputting.

The restaurant was pretty empty when we arrived, so service was prompt and courteous... but it took a bit longer than I would have expected for our food to arrive from the kitchen. My wife ordered the chicken sandwich and I ordered the stromboli (it's really a calzone, not a 'boli). Our food was bland and average at best... nothing special. The dunking sauce I received on the side with my stromboli was little more than tomato paste out of a can... not a sauce at all.

Bottom line: We found nothing here that would bring us back across the river to dine at Goombazz.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank CDRKMP

Bettendorf, Iowa
“Restaurant Impossible Makeover”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Robert Irvine just visited this restaurant and had them shrink their menu substantially. My son had the pork tenderloin sandwich and said it was the best he's ever had. My other son had a chicken sandwich that was very good. I had the reuben and as far as reubens go, it fit the bill but wasn't anything special. If you like ketchup, be prepared to ask for extra because they no longer put ketchup bottles on the table. Robert says that ketchup bottles are unsanitary so you get a little plastic cup full. Not enough for ketchup lovers.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Trent L
Clinton, Iowa
“Awful service. Below average food”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I was really excited to go to Goombazz after hearing about Robert Irvine being there. I was really disappointed by the reality of my visit. I ordered a "Rachel" & pizza fries (not the 1/2 sandwich & fry special). And what I got was pizza fries which were mediocre and some kind of 1/2 of greasy turkey sandwhich with bbq sauce. I told the waitress that was not what I ordered and she remarked "well, I put it in right". Seriously? I didn't accuse you of putting it in wrong, I just wanted my correct order. I few minutes later she brought back a 1/2 of a "Rachel" sandwhich. I didn't order 1/2 a sandwich but I figured since she already was snippy I would just roll with it. I ended up happy that I only had 1/2 because it was greasy and underwhelming. The waitress brought our checks and walked away. 2 of us wanted dessert so we had to call her back. Once again...underwhelming dessert. Would I go back to Goombazz? Nope. There are too many restaurants with smiling faces who don't make snippy comments that serve amazing food in the Quad City area.

4 Thank D2foodie
Milan, Illinois
“bland”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

had the corn beef entrée.the juice that it was in was very bland so everything else in it was bland too.. cant believe Ervin wouldn't have told them about seasoning

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank kmoskal3
“Awesome food!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have eaten at Goombazz several times, and found the food to be absolutely delicious every time! The pastrami is out of this world! The pizzas are fabulous we had our wrestling club dinner there and went through three of the mob five foot pizzas. There were 68 people in our group and everyone of them agreed that the food was delicious! The staff was very accommodating and the food was brought out in a timely manner. We will eat there again and again! Thanks Sal & Brenda

• Visited April 2013