“A special restaurant”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is one of our very favorite restaurants. The food is wonderful, the atmosphere very upscale, the service excellent! My husband and I both had a steak, his had a delectable wine sauce and mine a nice bearnaise. He usually doesn't care for a "sauced steak" but in this case, he loved it.
We go there often...

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Le Figaro restaurant and it's affiliated Tapas Bar, the Star Bar--all in the same building--give you options both fancy and casual.

First, Le Figaro: Excellent French fine dining, with experienced, expert staff. Veal? Yes. Steak? Yes. Fresh Seafood? Yes. Vegetarian options? Yes. Interesting wine list with varied price points? Yes. The ONLY negative is the dated décor. While you have impeccable white tablecloths, you also have dark wood, dim lighting, and a vaguely Mediterranean décor that reminds me of my Mother's Mediterranean decorating phase from the 1970's. That said, the atmosphere, while dated, is clean and well-maintained. You won't feel comfortable in jeans here.

Second, the Star Bar: You can wear jeans in this hip Tapas bar off the lobby of Le Figaro. The bartenders are attentive and witty. The décor is modern and slightly trendy. The soundtrack tends towards vintage Rat Pack, which is conducive to conversation. You still have the same great wine list, and your food options include a variety of excellent small plates. The menu is French and Mediterranean. The chef really highlights his Moroccan heritage with the Star Bar menu. This is also a more affordable option compared to the sister restaurant.

3  Thank gracefultraveller
Reviewed March 4, 2014

A tranquil little restraint done in reds and blacks the way posh food establishments of the 80's were decorated, the wait staff is excellent and the chef's food to die for. We have eaten here dozens of times over the years and never been disappointed. Always a chef special something but my favorite is the filet with béarnaise sauce. Terrific wine list and wonderful desserts.

1  Thank Harold B
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Chose Le Figaro for Valentine's Day - we reserved almost a month ahead and had an 8pm seating. When we arrived, the first seating was pretty much cleared out. Waited 15 minutes before even acknowledged and then led to our table. We were given a table next to the kitchen and felt like we were in the way of a 5k of wait staff - waiters were in such a hurry, and the floor literally bounced with their every clomp. Unfortunately, that hurry did not extend to us. We were not given a wine list until requested, then it was another 20 minutes until a return for our drinks. Our waiter was kind and did a good job once he finally visited our table to take our orders. Everyone has commented on the water refilling - and I did notice that my glass was often refilled, except once where my husband's was filled, my empty glass was not, and then another table's was filled (so the pitcher
was clearly not empty - my glass just overlooked). Weird. My husband and I have traveled abroad, including in France, and we enjoy European service where you expect a long meal with little interruption. But that's not what this was. To sit for 30+ minutes after arrival just to order a drink - that's just poor attention, and we just felt ignored for at least the first 40 minutes, while there was this seeming rush all around us (and the restaurant was about 1/3 full). But some things were timely: we were moved to another table upon our request, and our appetizer came quickly (of course, wine appeared 10 minutes later). The Moroccan pastry "Bastilla" was excellent. The chateaubriand was incredible. Wine selection was very good, and my husband's dessert of the chocolate mousse was divine (my chocolate torte was so-so). I think the prices were fair, but here's why I'll never go back for a special date like Valentine's Day: there was a "special menu" which was not special - just an abbreviated version of their regular menu, with prices jacked up $3 on average and not including a salad course, which on any other day is included. So, we had a lesser version of the same fare for more money. Huh? I would have been happy for a prix fixe menu with some special variations, but this way of handling the menu just cheapened the experience. And...experience...the place is like stepping back in time to visit a Jumer's in the mid-80s. I want to love Le Figaro because I did enjoy the food! But everything else about the experience makes me cringe to go drop $100+ there again. Maybe we'll visit the Star Bar before trying the main dining room again.

1  Thank LuluHulu
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This restaurants atmosphere might be more depressing than a funeral home.

Also,
- The menu is lacking in selection
- The staff is always smoking out back of the place
- It is overpriced