“Double Booked” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rock Falls
Walnut, Illinois, United States
“Double Booked”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I chose to reserve a room here at Country Inn and Suites for our honeymoon. When we first got there at 1pm (cause the website said check in at 1) we found out they changed it to 3pm. Then when we finally were able to check in they told us they double booked our room and had to give us another one. Then they preceded to tell me AFTER they ran my debit card for the room that I could not pay cash for the incidentals. When I reserved the room over the phone, they said nothing about not being able to pay cash for either room or incidentals. They said they would put a hold on my account leading me to believe that they had done so right then and there over the phone. They didn't ask how i wanted to pay for it just automatically ran my debit for the room (which I was planning on paying cash for) and made a quick 5 min check in about 15mins. Finally my husband was able to make the manager understand how we can pay part cash for the room and have all my debit be for incidentals. The manager either doesn't know how to do part tenders or thought we were trying to scam them.....how can you scam with paying cash.....it's IN YOUR HANDS right then and there. The Room was pretty nice....little dirty here and there....whirlpool looked like hadn't been used in a while with dust and what not in it but I've seen worse. We made the best out of it.....but just one disaster after another....was hoping that the hotel would put a lift on things, but only made things worse. When we checked out they acted like they didn't even want to give us a receipt.....I need some proof that i'm getting money refunded back to me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Heather M
CISRKFL, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rock Falls, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Heather,
I'm sorry there was some confusion on your reservation! Our check in time is officially 3pm, but
we can check guests in as early as 1pm if the room is ready.
For payment our hotel accepts debit cards, which we charge room and tax at check in. We also
authorize the additional $100 for incidentals. We do this at the time of check in and not before.
I will be glad to email a copy of your receipt if you still need one.
I have counseled the front desk staff regarding this so that we can improve for the future.
You can call or email me if you would like to discuss further. I thank you for your business!
Dawn Duncan-GM
815.625.3200
cx_rkfl@countryinns.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Normal, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I recently stayed here on a quick business trip to Sterling. The property is very well maintained and the front desk staff is helpful, friendly and competent. I was impressed by the appearance of the pool and fitness center, and there is plenty of free parking. The room was large and clean, and had free internet access.

Where the hotel fell short was in the details. 1) Every time I left the hotel and returned to my room the key did not work. I carry an ACM metal wallet that keeps key cards from de-magnetizing, so the problem was not that. So it was a bit annoying. 2) The fitness room equipment was not very good quality, so it was not very satisfying to use. 3) The breakfast offerings were not very diet-friendly. No fresh fruit or yogurt, but lots of waffles, potatoes, sweet dry cereals and sweet pastries. 4) The bed and pillows did not provide a very comfortable night's sleep. Along with the noisy air-conditioning unit, I did not sleep well at all.

But the hotel was quiet and well-maintained, and employees were professional and accommodating. A restaurant was located across the parking lot and I88 was a half mile away. Very convenient to Rock Falls and Sterling.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank RobBN
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here for one night and it met all my expectations. The check in was easy. The person working the desk ensured they had my frequent guest program #. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The A/C unit was not too loud and kept a good temperature. The comp breakfast in the morning had more than enough choices and was well stocked.
If forced to note an area to improve, I would say that I paid a few dollars more than the average Country Inn & Suites. However, I would gladly pay that rate again to ensure I have the quality stay I had here.

1 Thank Stlscuba
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed here for a week for work. My room was very nice with a very comfortable bed with super comfy and clean sheets. My room (131) even had a sink area with a small frig, microwave and even a dining area...nice! The hotel provided a very nice breakfast...no paper plates here. China dishes and actual silverware and glasses...all sparkling clean. The pool and fitness center were kept immaculent by the awesome maintenance staff. Right next door is the Candlelight Restaurant that serves a delicious lunch and supper. I would definately come back to Rock Falls for this one!

1 Thank JKCIllinois
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is very clean, the rooms are very spacious. I stayed here for business, and booked a block of rooms. I was very impressed with this hotel, as well as the staff. The breakfast was very good. They have food that you normally don't see at other hotels that offer a free breakfast. I will be coming back!

Bennington, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Wonderful check-in experience with Segue, the night clerk. Professional, friendly and efficient!

Was assigned a room near the elevator and ice machine; maybe because I used my Club Carlson points to book the room? Segue offered to move us but warned that options were limited. the room heating/cooling unit allowed the fan to run nonstop, generating white noise, so we didn't move.

Room and bathroom very clean. However, the bathtub did not drain after a shower. This may also explain the spongy, water-damaged feel to the bathroom floor and interior hallway of the room. It creaked loudly whenever we entered/exited either the room or the bathroom.

Bed and pillows very comfortable. Large tv on the desk at the foot of the bed had distorted picture, but we only wanted to see the one tv show, so tolerable. Work space excellent - lots of plugs. High speed Internet free, but very slow for general use. Room needs more lighting. Room also had a mini-fridge with a small freezer compartment.

Breakfast was carb-heavy, but well laid out and presented. Hot oatmeal, bacon, eggs, a large container of plain yogurt, cut fruit. Breakfast room staff had tv set to and were watching some program that was absolutely inappropriate for a general audience. Only bad experience that we had with the staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

4.5 of 5 stars 120 reviews
Super 8 Rock Falls Sterling Area
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Fulton
O'Connell's Yogi Bear Park

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rock Falls? Share your experiences!