Olive Black Martini and Wine Lounge
Ranked #12 of 23 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Olive Black is a retro 1940's Nartini & Wine Lounge with an authentic Spanish style Tapas menu, both live and virtual entertainment, leather living room groups, an outdoor patio, and warm rich colors and lighting to enjoy your special evening in.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a must try place..The atmosphere, martini's, staff are top notch! Sweet little tables and sitting areas! Ask for a Latin coffee martini if you like patron tequila. The large screen tv's have some very interesting pictures for the season, vintage concerts, etc..If you like martini's you will love this place!!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was our second visit and both times truly enjoyed the atmosphere, food,& drinks. First visit was with a group of girlfriends. Second was when my daugher was in from out of town and we immediately thought of this place for my two daughers and myself. We ordered 6 martinis and 2 tapas plates. Everything was delicious. The waiter was very well informed about the drinks and was very helpful in selecting the correct drink. The only suggestion would be to include a description below each drink on the menu.

Cute outdoor patio area for the summer.

Going with a small group? Ask if you can reserve the "olive pit" for a comfy conversation area.

Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

The worst comedy
Bad comedy show
Slow service
Food ok
Nice waitress

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Great Food, Service and Cocktails. Good Atmosphere. Why 1 star? An owner that can't communicate effectively with his staff when it comes to larger parties and blames his customers for problems that arise. What's more, the man doesn't follow through on promises he made once the money is in his hands. Poor form sir. Hope you enjoyed the $80 you swindled from my friends. I will not be back

2  Thank BillyC_Aurora
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've never been treated so poorly by a business in my life. The drinks, food, and servers were amazing. Our waitress worked her butt off for us. She was great. However the owner's lack of communication skills, downright nasty accusatory treatment from the owner, and refusal to return the remainder of our "refundable deposit" will keep me away forever from this place. As well as every single person I can possibly tell.

The lack of communication between the owner and staff is staggering. We told the general manager 3 weeks before our event that we were bringing 15-20 people. We ended up with about 25. But we were told by Charlie that he would not return our deposit because we didn't tell him until 1 week before that we were bringing 20 people instead of 40. Which, as I've stated, is untrue. All he had to do was ask his manager. My husband, my aunt, and I ALL remember clearly telling the manager 15-20 people AND we remember him telling us "once your group's bill goes over the $250 deposit, it will be returned to you" and "this is a refundable deposit".

Here are three choice quotes from an email from the owner, Charlie, about the reasons for not returning our deposit:

"You asked me during that call to have the food wait until later on because you did not expect the bulk of your guests to be there until closer to 8pm. By that time the chefs had already started on your pork dishes (because of their cooking time) and had to pull them out and wait until you signaled that your party was ready to be served."

Wow. A customer wanting their food when they want it. And wanting the food at 8pm instead of the start time of the party, 7pm. Who serves food at the start time of a party? Shouldn't someone in a food-serving business know something like that?

"Even when you cut that expected number down to 15-20 people, we STILL honored that 10% (discount) for every one of your guests even though we have NEVER offered that for parties that small since we opened."

Only 3 of our guests had this discount applied to their bills, only after we told the general manager that no one else had received it. He apologized to us about it. He didn't say "that's because you didn't have enough people!". He APOLOGIZED. And offered a free cocktail for anyone who didn't get the discount for a future visit! Another example of how the wait/barstaff has their act together.

"Although I don't like saying this to any guest whose business we truly appreciate, I feel that we have MORE than satisfied what we promised for your event. You are not entitled to a cash refund on your deposit, nor will I offer one."

Not ONCE has Charlie made us feel in any way appreciated. From first contact to last, we were made to feel like criminals, trying to bilk him out of money. We were treated as liars who wouldn't bring the people we said we would. We were treated as though we were being difficult, bad customers because we called several times with questions, and changed our mind about decorating. When you have to call multiple times every time to get a call back, when emails containing questions go unanswered, you do not feel like an appreciated customer.

We were promised a refundable deposit. We did not receive what we were promised.

Our group of over 25 spent over $500 (to our best estimate, probably closer to $600) before tip, and every single person in our group had never been there before. EVERY SINGLE ONE planned on returning in the future. My father and I had actually discussed renting out the entire place for my mother's 60th birthday party next year. After the way we were treated by the owner, NOT ONE of us will ever return here.

A previous reviewer put it perfectly "one would think Olive Black's goal, like every other (business) in the hospitality industry, would be to give the customers a wonderful experience so they can't wait to come back and bring more friends." And as you can see by both our treatment, and the owner's responses here on yelp to any poor review, this is not the case.

Oh, and all this poor treatment? All these accusations slung at us by the owner? It's over $80. I doubt it was worth the lost business.

3  Thank Molly K