“Oh So Good”

El Rancherito Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 137 Restaurants in Quincy
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 3, 2013

While travelling through Quincy recently we decided to stop at El Rancherito for an early dinner. At first, we weren't sure that was such a good thing. The joint is on a main street, but it's hidden behind an auto parts store and the parking lot was nearly empty. Over the years we've found that a full parking lot is almost always the sign of good food -- but it was early (around 5pm) on a weekday. The place is decorated in bright colors -- fun, tacky Mexican decor that you see in a lot of places. I ordered chicken in salsa verde, which wasn't really on the menu -- I asked them to substitute chicken for beef -- and my wife ordered a rib-eye steak that came smothered in grilled bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes. There was so much food that we probably should have split just one dinner -- but everything tasted so good that we were happy to stuff ourselves. While we were eating the restaurant was steadily filling-up around us, and by the time we left (just before 6pm), the parking lot was full. Go figure. We lived in Arizona for many years, and always crave Mexican food done right. I'd definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

El Rancherito was good but it was just like every other Mexican restaurant in the area. When we got in to sit down, the waiter very hastily took our order and our food was brought out within two minutes. This just lets me know that everything is pre-made and most likely in a large pot. I would go back again but only if in a hurry as they like to get you in and out.

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Went there and the service was terrible. The food was very blah! The other two, especially Maya, are MUCH MUCH better

1  Thank Cobian14
Reviewed March 22, 2013

For the midwest this is a great Mexican eating joint. I love their food although it has been "Americantized". You get ALOT of great food for a reasonable price. Staff is great.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This Mexican sit-down restaurant is faster than a fast-food restaurant--I've never figured out how they do it! As you're getting seated, someone brings you chips and salsa, and immediately someone else shows up to take your drink orders. When they return with your drinks in two minutes, they take your food order, and you get to enjoy your chips, salsa and drinks for about another two minutes and your food is there--it's amazing. If you wanted a leisurely lunch, you won't get it here unless you deliberately eat slowly, but the food is good enough that you may want to do that in order to savor it.

Unless you choose a weird time to eat, this restaurant is generally crowded, but because the food is served so quickly, the tables empty pretty fast, so you don't have to wait too long. On top of being quick and good, it's also not very expensive.