“Its a matter of choice...”
Review of Howtown Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Howtown
Howtown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howtown
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Its a matter of choice...”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

It all depends on what you want. I don’t actually want to be a number in an impersonal hotel. I don’t like having to serve myself breakfast and to have to queue to make my own toast on those horrible toasters. I don’t like being sealed into a boxroom. I like having a pot of tea, made with tea – leaves, and served in china cups. I see dining as a social event and like to nod to and acknowledge other diners and maybe catch up on the days events. I like to sit in a comfortable lounge and wait for the gong to tell me dinner/breakfast is served. I like having coffee on the lawn, looking at the lake as the sun begins to go down. I like paying by cheque – without having to hand over my credit card as soon as I cross the threshold. I love beautifully well prepared food, locally sourced, professionally served, in a beautiful setting. I love sleeping in a quiet peaceful hotel, with the window open all night on a bed with crisp linen and fluffy pillows. If you want this too, then go to Howtown. If you don’t there are plenty of places nearby that will meet your needs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ang5050

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
St Albans, UK.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you're wearing walking boots, expect to be sent round the back to the tiny public bar next to the kitchens. Afternoon tea served from 3.30 but no scones left by 4.30. Our pot of tea was so delayed we worried we'd miss the last boat back to Glenridding. The manager brusquely shouted that they had a lot more people to serve at the front and attempted to justify the walking boots rule by arguing that I wouldn't wants people's boots on my front carpet either. But then I'm not running a hotel. However the tea and biscuits were good and plentiful, even if I did have to ask for an extra teacup through the kitchen window and no tea strainer could be found. And when we enquired about the evening menu, the manager even invited us in onto the precious carpet, still in our walking boots. Easy to imagine that Sybil must have had a word with him. An extra star for the tea and amusement. A reminder of how England used to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank wgc131
Manchester,UK
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at the Howtown - what a pleasant suprise! It is a bit like stepping back in time, and is far more suited for those who in the 60+ year brackets and who enjoy the sedantry way of life... The evening meals are served from 7pm and a gong is sounded. You are given a choice of 2 starters, soup, maybe 4/5 main courses and 4/5 desserts or cheeses...all the food is freshly prepared, served piping hot by staff dressed in long black dresses with white pinnies,,but it all adds to the feel of the place (food is tasty too).. A small bar area with local beer and lager on tap and a host of spirits to choose from.. There are 4 lounges to sit in at night and take drinks from the bar and go and relax and chat to the other guests. We stayed in Room 9.. a spacious double..comfy bed (with blankets not quilts), large wardrobe and lots of storage space, and a big bathroom with a shower attached to the taps, plenty of piping hot water..the views from the hotel are stunning - summer meadows, hills, mountains and lake Ullswater. The ferry point is only a few minutes walk where you can get a ferry to Glenridding or Pooley bridge - the full round trip is about 140 minutes and you can get on and off as many times as you like. This is only a small hotel but my hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves..Ps..the full breakfast was the nicest I have ever had away from home...

Room Tip: A room at the front of the hotel - there are some rooms in a seperate building - only 20yds or so fr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NavyBoyMum
Piddletrenthide, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went here for dinner with friends. What a wonderful experience. A lovely welcome from the staff and good old fashioned cooking. Delicious! After a fantastic walk along the lake from Howtown to Glenridding and a trip back on one of the Ulswater Steamers in late afternoon sunshine, this is just what you needed. Service was excellent. A gem!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wayne B
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Hi all

If you are going to do the steamers or the walk back from howtown.
Then pop in to this little bar at the back of the howtown hotel now I have read some reviews and I guess i can understand what they say about food ect but this hotel is different so don't go there expecting pub grub just go for the bar and the garden it's lovely for a couple of beers before starting your walk we had great weather all week so enjoyed going there a couple of times.....
3 quid a pint good weather what more do you want.

All staff friendly we are intrigued so we are going to spend a couple of nights.....

Remember not a normal hotel you have access only to the bar and garden not to the hotel
Go and enjoy a beer and relax

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank john w
Beccles
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Wonderful place. Visited many times over the years and we are some of the more recent discoverers of this very obliging and friendly place. Many have been coming for 40 years or more so the management must be doing something right. Haute Cuisine it is not-but who wants that after a hard day's walking in the fells! The great joy of the place is to be able to walk out straight onto the hills and know that you will get a delightful meal at the end of it.. Hot water is plentiful and that is important after a day out. Bread and butter pudding to die for!

Room Tip: All the rooms I have stayed in have been great. Perhaps best not over the front door if you go to be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joan H
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

For the perfect country retreat spend a few days and nights at the Howtown Hotel. We went in April and found it a real treat. My father in law said it was like a spell on the old QE2 but on dry land. Charming waitresses/maids in Victorian black dresses tiptoe around offering you a tray of tea or drinks from the bar in any one of five lounges all of which look out over the very lovely and peaceful Ullswater. It's on a dead end road so very very peaceful, only a few walkers about. It is also very close to a ferry pier, so you can take a trip on an ancient steamer across or around the whole lake. Perfect for walking, and perfect for doing absolutely nothing. Very dog friendly: dogs in bedrooms but not in bars or lounges. Dinner is a real occasion. The maids don white starched aprons and you all file in at the sound of the gong for a formally served old fashioned English dinner. You don't have to dress at all formally but if you enjoy getting dressed up feel free!

Room Tip: Just be sure to ask for a lake view, of course!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Colin L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howtown
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Premier Inn Penrith Hotel
Travelodge Penrith
Travelodge Penrith
#8 of 10 in Penrith

Been to Howtown Hotel? Share your experiences!