“Peace and calm and traditional values”
Review of Howtown Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Howtown
Howtown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howtown
Surrey
“Peace and calm and traditional values”
Reviewed April 23, 2008

At last a traditional hotel with no giant TV screen to ruin the atmosphere of a classic old world residence. A wealth of genuine beams, horse brasses and antique furniture. It was more like staying in a friends house with extended family. This was reminiscent of the classic weekend in the country worthy of a P.G. Woodhouse novel. This includes being summoned to the dining room by dinner gong for delicious local homemade meals. The perfection of the hotel is only surpassed by the stunning views of the Lake and surrounding fells. Forget the car once you arrive and enjoy many hours of walking, take the steamer or just relax by the lake shore.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
East Yorkshire
Reviewed April 20, 2008

An idylic setting, away from the crowds, like stepping back in time. Yes it does have an "English quirkiness" which is hard to find it this crude modern world.

This is a truely traditional well cared for and beautiful hotel set in an unspoilt part of the lakes. I suspect it has remaind this way due in no small part to the endeavours of the family who have owned and run it for over a century and do not allow it to become like many other sub-standard parts that appear to be springing up in other areas.

I have been here with my family a number of times and would highly recommend it if you enjoy beautiful scenery, walking, home comforts, superb quality food and excellent traditional service. The hotel also offers some great self-catering cottages for families if this is more your scene (with option to dine in hotel if required).

• Liked — Relaxing atmosphere
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Landroverman
Hamilton, Scotland
Reviewed April 19, 2008

If you yearn franchise hotels with WiFi internet access, fitness club and 24/7 satellite TV then this is not for you.

Located off the usual beaten tracks which are frequented by the mass of Lake District daytrippers and weekenders, this is a peaceful location on the eastern shore of Ullswater.

Welcoming hosts providing honest hospitality and hearty fare. I'll be back!

• Liked — Quiet location, access to walking in the lakes
  • Disliked — Hillwalkers, passers by expecting the earth for a pittance
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tony_doherty
London
Reviewed April 18, 2008

We stayed at the hotel over the Easter holidays, I would say that the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful spots in the Lake District. We found the hotel to be very relaxing, the service was excellent and welcoming. We had fantastic home made afternoon teas and traditional Cumbrian cooking for supper. What more could you want after a day's walking!

Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank roxro
Cumbria
Reviewed April 18, 2008

I've only ever visited the walkers bar but I know people who've stayed here (I live in the next village over).

We visited on a blisteringly hot day (a rare thing in the lakes) with our Collie dog and went round the back to the walkers bar where we had some sarnies and a few nice cold drinks.

It was heaving with people and all had smiles on their faces and the dog was welcome (how do I say this: some places are only welcoming to places with dogs when they're quiet). All in all I shall be back for a nice cold one when down there this summer.

It's a nice to get off the steamer, pop over for a pint and then continue back or have a stroll into martindale.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank Angies_Trips
London
Reviewed October 29, 2007

For the last 15 years we've said 'what a waste'. This hotel has so much going for it......one of the most picturesque and peaceful locations in the Lakes, probably in the UK. We used to laugh about the grumpy unwelcoming service, but now we just find it very annoying and disappointing. We have never stayed here, but visited it many times for lunch, tea and drinks. It almost seems they take advantage of their 'monopoly' location (on the quiet side of the lake, with no other refreshment opportunities (only one other hotel, the Sharrow Bay). On our last visit, we asked for a coke and beer at the bar. The bar girl opened the coke bottle (no fizzing noise) and I tasted it 'Sorry, it's flat', to which she said 'it can't be, I've only just opened it'!!! I laughed and said 'I've just walked 6 miles, I'm thirsty, why would I say it was flat if it wasn't?'. My friend tasted it and confirmed it was flat. It was grudgingly replaced. If there are more than 4 of you, factor in about half an hour to get drinks as you will typically be served by one very slow unsmiling person seemingly not used to serving at a bar. I agree with another reviewer who said that the garden was full of weeds - it used to be very pretty, but recently has been looking rather neglected which is shameful as it is a lovely place to sit an admire the views. The outside toilets (for walkers) are horrible. Never cleaned properly, rarely any toilet paper (even when you tell the ladies in the kitchen), nowhere to dry hands - it makes you wonder about the hygiene in the kitchen. In terms of food, I find tuna sandwiches are safe. Meat sandwiches are made with the leftover roasts - OK if you get a nice slice, but sometimes I have had chewy scrappy bits. Tongue sandwiches (!) are also on offer. I've always wanted to tell them how unwelcoming they are, so this review is the next best thing. They will be oblivious as there is absolutely zero chance that they would ever know about a website like this, but at least potential guests can decide whether it sounds like their kind of place. Maybe they just don't like walkers? Maybe they only like their staying guests? It's the sort of place you would take a very elderly aunt because she had fond memories of it 50 years ago - and, believe me, nothing would have changed!

4 Thank Reviewer13
lancs
Reviewed April 3, 2007

i arrived at howtown off the steamer with my parents in law and my 18 month old little girl, in a back carrier.
our simple idea was to have a light bite and enjoy the 6+mile trek back to glenridding.
"you can acquire sandwiches and tea at the howtown hotel" a local told us in gleridding, it seemed the ideal plan.
what they neglected to tell us was of the frosty reception we would recieve, we may have well strolled in with muck on our shoes, swearing loudly and insulting the odd guest!
as a local ish lad (lancs) who has sung the praises of the lakes and its hospitality to those closest to him, you let me down. my dear, cornish, tastefully classy relatives where clearly embarrassed at your snap judgement and derogatory attitude. thankfully for me they took your arrogance in stride and we laughed it off on the rather beautiful alleged easy stroll back.a true sign of class i guess. you may not care, we could have and may be would have been future guests but alas not now.
my simple advice, welcome in those who darken your door, unless that is of course you have a flood of well paying guests that is. although i dont remember a queue.
phil thornton

Stayed April 2007
8 Thank theslab
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howtown
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Linthwaite House
Linthwaite House
#2 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,462 reviews

Been to Howtown Hotel? Share your experiences!