“It was a good stay”

Motel 6 Prospect Heights IL
Prospect Heights
“It was a good stay”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The room was very clean and it smelled good no funky smells lol
The service was good the lady that checked us in was very nice and also the guy that checked us out the next day. The hotel was calm and usually free of people roaming around will come back to this hotel if i have the chance
Ps papa johns gave us a good deal because we were staying at the hotel so thats a plus

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ross Z, General Manager at Motel 6 Prospect Heights IL, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for the kind words. We're very happy you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Niles, Mi
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Our one night stay at the Prospect Hts. Super 8 was a pleasant one. Our first floor King Bed Room was large, clean, well appointed, and the bed was comfortable. Check in was quick and our Super 8 online AARP Discount provided us with a very reasonable rate. The desk clerk recommended eating at the Players Bar and Pub which is a short walk from the motel. Our meal there was excellent and their selection of draft craft beers is impressive. It is not a place to go if you have kids/teenagers with you. Mention that you are staying at the Super 8 and you will receive a 10% discount. We will return to the Prospect Hts. Super 8 the next time that we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Old_Geezer2013
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed August 6, 2013

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in the area & you are fine with a motel that gives you JUST what you need and not much more, Super 8 in Prospect Heights is golden for you.

CONS:
1. EVERYWHERE smelled of tobacco. I thought I booked a non-smoking room, but apparently I booked a "Non-smoking smoking room" (not quite sure how that makes sense... but okay.) I don't know why they'd think an 18 year old and her sisters were in dire need of a smoking room, but okay. I figured I could get a good air freshener & deal with it.

2. Your room may or may not smell like dead bodies ALONG with the tobacco smell. The first room they put us in (310), we knew something was fishy before we even opened the door. When we did, a strange smell of vomit, tobacco, and what I would assume dead bodies would smell like hit us in the face. We didn't even bother putting our stuff down, so we requested a new room & were given another smoking room (much better than dead bodies). One of the workers did look at the man at the counter & said, "You rented that room? It has... stuff in it!" So it actually is pretty plausible that they were hiding dead bodies. (I checked the tub before we left that room, though, and there were no creepy old ladies like in "The Shining". )

3. The person at the counter may or may not speak clear English. You're just going to have to pretend you know what he's saying and hope it's nothing important.

4. I found a baby silverfish bug on my wall, but my sister killed it. Then we were bug-free for the rest of the stay. No dreaded bed-bugs here!

PROS:
1. The shower was awesome. The bathroom I had was definitely not big enough to fit anyone 300 pounds or bigger, but luckily none of us were 300 pounds or bigger. Even though the bathroom was tiny (the sink & mirror were outside of the bathroom), the shower was very powerful & very easy to manage (unlike the showers in some more upscale hotels that think they need to impress you with how complex their HOT-COLD dials are).

2. The beds were very comfortable. I would put them up there with the beds at a Sheraton. I fell asleep (unintentionally, because I was watching TV) within 10 minutes of laying down both nights.

3. The breakfast fills you up. Suggestion: don't wait until the last half hour to go to breakfast if you want cinnamon rolls. I got lucky the first time, but the second day, I was told they weren't bringing any out. They have waffles you can put in the toaster, yogurt, bread, and cereal. It's not gourmet, but who would expect it to be when you paid $55 for your room?

4. The location is convenient. It's a bit over a half hour to Chicago (not counting traffic, though), so getting into the city is fairly simple. It's also less than a half hour away from a lot of Lake Michigan beaches, which are beautiful! As a New Jerseyan, I'm used to murky-colored ocean water, so the turquoise fresh-water of Glencoe Beach was pleasantly surprising. I would love to go again, but I'm not travelling 13 hours away just for a beach... Really, if you have free time in your stay at this hotel, take a trip to Glencoe Beach. You do have to pay to get in ($7 to get in?) but you can come in & out as you please because they give you wristbands. Just don't stay too late, or you'll get annoying teenagers who put the lifeguard chair into the water (yes, this actually happened...) and mosquitoes that will relentlessly eat you alive. Do stay for the sunset, though. The water actually looks like it's turning pink.

All in all, the pros outweighed the cons for me. I had a place to stay, I had a comfortable bed to sleep in, I had free food to eat in the mornings, and I had a working shower. I was able to get into Chicago with ease (which was the whole purpose of the trip). I would definitely stay in a Super 8 again. For a few uncomfortable moments in a decent motel, it's definitely worth saving money instead of paying more for another place where you'll probably still have problems.

Room Tip: Take a whiff of your room first. If it smells like tobacco, that's normal. Deal with it unless y...