“Cheap Bar”

Wheeling, Illinois, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cheap Bar”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Rocky Vander's is actually a fun time if you're looking for a dive bar. They've recently remodeled, but the basics are the same. Food is fine, drinks are strong.

Visited April 2012

Miramar, Florida
“Don't Pay with Cash if they make you provide credit”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Poor management, policy and dishonest service made my visit here extremely regrettable. The bar staff requires a credit card to be held, even if you pay cash for your tab. The bar servers change more often than blackjack dealers, so it's impossible to know whose supposed to be serving you. Really, it doesn't matter anyway, because you hardly see them around anyway.

Just make sure you don't pay your tab with cash and leave without your credit card- you will be double charged and never see your card again. Keep a cash receipt. Trust no one here-they don't trust you. Multiple calls trying to resolve the situation or even speak to a manager has gotten me no closer to recovering my credit card or money.

One of the 7+ servers in three hours time must have pocketed the cash I paid, (with generous sympathy tip) and used the card for the tab. They probably need the money more than me, though, because if my experience is any indication, this place is destined for the wrecking ball.

2 Thank Ralph_R3
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The bouncers are rude and stuck up...”
Reviewed February 24, 2010

The bouncers are rude and stuck up!!!!! The bathrooms are horrible!!! And the serve blows!!! Would never go there again!! And the girls that seem to go there look sluty, easy, just all around not classy!!

1 Thank Yesenia23
Chicago, IL
“Great Barf!!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

On a whim, my wife and I stopped in here for dinner and drinks one night and thank God I found the receipt later so I could remember the name and warn people off. There were more employees there than customers but they were all talking to each other so it still took a while to even get a drink to start with. We ordered some "Lobster Bisque" and I think what they called Palwaukee Nachos. The so-called bisque looked like carrot soup at best and the closest a lobster will ever get to it will be when they pour what we didn't eat down the drains and it works it's way to the ocean some day. The nachos were coated in a flavorless cheeze sauce and when we commented how they were inedible, the burly cook came out and said that nachos always come with cheese sauce rather than melted cheese. I told him that I had never had nacho appetizers passed off with cheese sauce except maybe the litte tray you buy in a ballpark but even then the sauce at least has some flavor. They made up another batch with melted cheese but after the little bit of cheese was gone there was no flavor because the tomatoes and onions on it must have fallen off the clearance bin. So the appetizers should have told us what was to come.

My Chicken Limon had a little flavor but was overcooked, tough and stringy. The broccoli was barely steamed but it was yellow from old age so I wasn't going to eat it anyway. The carrot slices looked good but were hard as a rock. My wife's BBQ Chicken was also dry and stringy and the veggies were just as inedible. The bartender smirked when we left practically all our food on the plates. I think it was more from first-hand knowledge of how bad their food is than from trying snipe at us. A different bartender came by a few minutes later and asked how our meal was. I simply responded "the beer was nice and cold" and she understood too. I didn't ask for a break on the bill, nor was it offered. We settled on going out to the beer garden for another beer before leaving but although it looks nice, you're basically just watching traffic go by on Milwaukee.

Definately the worst bar & grill I have ever been to anywhere in the country, or the world for that matter, but the beer was nice and cold.

1 Thank Dedbud
chicago
“Great Bar!”
Reviewed February 13, 2009

My husband and I went to Rocky Vanders with some other couples and we had a great time- it was so nice that the guys could hang out on the more 'sports bar' side while the girls and I went back to the VIP bar which is a little more upscale. I can't wait till summer to use the bar outside- it looks awesome...there are heaters out there now but it's just too cold for me! The food was really good and the service was friendly- yes there were some big bouncers but honestly they were perfectly civil. Will definately be going back soon.