“Super Interesting!”
Review of Farnsworth House

Farnsworth House
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Plano
More attraction details
Owner description: Landmark house designed by architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe that is open to the public.
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a super different but fascinating activity! Spend the day and then go over to Silver Springs! Best for older teens and adults.

All reviews
"introductory video"
"morning tour"
"visitor center"
in 4 reviews
"definitely worth the trip"
"excellent tour"
"river"
"docent"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Today I visited this out of the way architectural gem. It is an outstanding example of modernist design, and is greatly enhanced by the passion of the docents there.
My other comment is that the gift shop is outstanding! This is in contrast to others I have recently visited on this trip.
If you love architecture this is a must visit!

1  Thank Janeeh040
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We FINALLY got to Farnsworth House-it had been our list of "to-do's" for quite some time. What a terrific adventure! I am not architecturally inclined at all, but I found it very interesting. There were so many fascinating elements about this house, from the story of how it came about, the construction of it and the story of Edith Farnsworth and her relationship with Mies van der Rohe. It would be great If she had written a journal of her experiences while she stayed at the Farnsworth house-would be a great read. As other reviewers have mentioned, children would not be interested in this, so best not to bring them.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We recently toured the Farnsworth House in Plano. The tour guide was well informed and interesting. The house is definitely worth seeing. You get to see both the inside and grounds. It is an amazing piece of architecture. If you're a National Trust for Historic Preservation member, bring your ID card, they discount admission.

Also worth seeing in the area -- the Two Brother's Brewery in Aurora. It's in a round stone building and has a restaurant and bar. A good place to relax after the tour.