“Much better now!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Maudlam
Cuisines: British, Bar, Welsh
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Great pub with a rural character and cosy, relaxed atmpsphere serving fresh homemade food all day. Restaurant, cask ale, beer garden, letting rooms and big outside children's play area. Breastfeeding friendly. Dog friendly bar area.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I visited the Angel with my daughter. It was a last minute thing, on an early Saturday evening. We were informed that it would be best to book a table on fri and sats. The manager said he could fit us in as long as we were finished by 7.30, which was fine. I found the manager to be a little aloof at first but he was much friendlier after. We both ordered the lasagne which came with salad and garlic bread. We also had a side order of chips between us. The food was delicious, the best lasagne that I have had in a restaurant. Salad was fresh and tasty and the hand cut chips were lovely. I had eaten at the Angel a few years before and the food was terrible, so the new management have really seemed to turn it around. We would definitely visit again sometime.

There are newer reviews for The Angel Inn

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This restaurant is in a windy and somewhat isolated spot which provides opportunity for walking, particularly in the summer. We booked on a night coming up to Christmas and the staff were clearly very busy and under some strain. We were welcomed into warm and festive surroundings and shown to our table. There was an unacceptable delay in having our order taken but the food arrived quickly after that. We had scampi and chips with a diced salad. It was good and well presented but really standard pub fare. However the ambiance and beer led to a good experience and the bill was very reasonable - £23 for main course, coffee and drinks for two. Overall the Angel Inn is probably somewhere dependable and for regular eating rather than a special experience.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Another visit to the Angel and another excellent meal, Sunday lunch today was lovely, veg cooked to perfection with just a bit of crunch great roasted parsnips and the best mashed potato I 've had in a long time I would have liked a bit more blood in my beef but that is my personal preference and the beef itself was tender and succulent.Desserts were also fabulous.The staff are always a pleasure and the welcome always warm it is lovely to have the Angel back and long may it continue well done all.One of the best Sunday lunches we have had out in a long time will definitely be back again soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Despite listening to a few friends reviews my wife and I decided to see for ourselves exactly what was on offer from the Angel Inn. We already had a bad experience last year but that was with another management team and there have been quite a few changes in the menu since then.
Sorry to say but the quality of food hasn't changed at all! I want tasty -well cooked-correctly presented-hot food but this wasn't the case here at the Angel today.
According to the menu I had fresh scampi tails but that was nothing close to what arrived on my cold plate. 6 and a half pieces of Overcooked breadcrumbs with a piece of reformed stodge were delivered to me and my wife received some sort of dry white meat masquerading as chicken camouflaged in several different sauces to hide the problems that the cook couldn't be bothered to sort out during the cooking process. So all in all not a place I would recommend - unless dry overcooked food bought from the Co -op is what you actually want. Of course it's only pub grub but surely even that must be edible?

1  Thank Louis M
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Our monthly family gatherings allow us to try various restaurants and this month we travelled to the Angel. Under new management, who gave us a warm welcome, we enjoyed friendly service, excellent surroundings and most of all - delicious food. There was a good choice on the menu and we all agreed that we will be trying it again soon.